Seeking advice re carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Have just recently tried my hand at carving, using Mr Frosts clipper and crook knives, really enjoyable and pleased with results but my left thumb is suffering. I am right handed and use the left thumb against the back of the blade to either push while the workpiece is being pulled or use it as a pivot while the knife cuts across the grain.
Am I doing it completely wrong or do others wear a glove or some other protection for the thumb.
I think I'm developing a calouse on the ball of my thumb as the feeling is going and its as sore as hell.
Any advice at all would be most welcome.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Have just recently tried my hand at carving, using Mr Frosts clipper and crook knives, really enjoyable and pleased with results but my left thumb is suffering. I am right handed and use the left thumb against the back of the blade to either push while the workpiece is being pulled or use it as a pivot while the knife cuts across the grain.
Am I doing it completely wrong or do others wear a glove or some other protection for the thumb.
I think I'm developing a calouse on the ball of my thumb as the feeling is going and its as sore as hell.
Any advice at all would be most welcome.

The numbness is nothing unusual but it's also your body telling you to ease up a bit! I still get sore hands when i get carried away with various new projects but, as I say; just ease up a bit.

I highly recommend the use of a kevlar glove on the "other" hand, the one you hold the job with. They wont stop you stabbing your self but will protect against accidental slashes, especially when "hooking out" a kuksa or deeper bowl type spoon e.g. a ladle.
I tend only to use the glove these days, when I'm doing this type of work as they can tend to get in the way for normal everyday knife use.

Of course when I first started off (away in the mists of time) I didn't use anything and carry numerous scars to prove it!.
That said; I've no doubt there are folk on here who might well disagree with a glove but for beginners,it can save a lot of work carving/sanding off blood stained wood from your latest project;)
You will find that the more you carve the more comfortable it gets but you will always experience a bit of soreness etc when you over do it.

The other thing to remember, is that you will, inevitably, cut your self from time to time.
Always have a first aid kit handy, especially if out and about.

hope this is of help
good luck

R.B.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
First of all we can't believe you've carved anything until we see the pictures. :lmao:

Carving like any other physical exercise must be done in short sessions at first. The human body needs time to adjust to the new exertions and stresses. Take it easy, but do a bit every day, increasing the time as you become accustomed to it until it doesn't bother you to work long hours.

Keep at it and let us see what you are doing!

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Thanks for the advice guys, yes only just started and am addicted to it already, must try not to do it for a bit.
Tried to post photos but for some reason it kept saying error, Tony says the gallery is playin gup at the moment.
So far I have carved 5 things so can easily get them on one photo, will give it another go.
Thanks again.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Good advioce there, particularity first aid kit, I recommend a good supply of plasters and steristrips.

A couple of other things to try.

Round the back of the knife at the point where you are pushing on it. The clipper is quite sharp on the back edge and a bit of course sanpaper followed by some finer grit will take the sharp edge off (some people like the sharp edge for getting sparks from a firesteel)

Whilst on the subject of the knife if you are doing well with the clipper you would do even better with a frosts 106 sloyd knife, it has a single bevel as opposed to the clipper which has a secondary bevel, that makes it better for more controlled carving.

Also the thumb push stroke is great for fine control when finishing but try to learn some other strokes particularly for roughing out so your thumb gets a rest.

Finally if you are using your thumb lots and its getting worn out stick a plaster or some gaffer tape on it before you start.

Have fun and stay safe, its addictive.

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
I noticed exactly the same problem a couple of days ago, and I also got a blister on the side of my thumb holding the knife :eek:
Thanks for the advice everyone and thanks for asking the question pentrekeeper :p

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Sorry guys can't upload any photos, get error directory does not exist, and I'm not allowed any attachments to my posts. Will keep trying to load pictures into gallery but by the time it's working I may need two photos to show all my efforts.
Thanks again for advice.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Somebody once posted a leather thimble on the site and I use one quite often when carving out bowls on spoons. It is really simple, I'll go grab my camera and get a picture up.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Right then, what it basically is is a bit of scrap leather with loops cut into it. The original had only the one loop but I made a two looper as it sits more firmly on my thumb. With this device I can pull a blade towards my thumb, such as using a spoon knife and it won't cut my thumb itself. I made do without one once, but it cut little flaps of skin on my thumb which wasn't sore but the cut pieces of skin went hard and catched on everything!

0804100010.jpg

0804100012.jpg

0804100013.jpg

If you make one for your pushing thumb, I'd definitely go for this pattern as it will work for that too. Also, a bit of micropore can make a good bit of padding on sore points where sharp angled steel comes into contact with the skin.

Edit: I won't ever get on Price Drop TV with hands like that! :rolleyes:

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I dunno Spamel, your thumb nail is in a hell of a better state than mine, almost manicured look about it, mine look they were trimmed by jack the ripper. you could demo outoorsy stuff like BBQ's n leaf blowers.

Excellent idea btw, permission to shamelessly copy?

Andy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Go for it, I just took an available idea and tweaked it for my own benefit. It weighs a few grammes at most so doesn't impact on your kit at all, and I also made a leather roll with some paracord to tie it closed which the thimble and spoon knife gets stowed in. It's nothing pretty, just a square of leather and some paracord so I won't bother with a picture!

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Thanks for that Spamel, leathercraft is another area I would like to get into, but as yet I have no kit at all, but will keep my eyes peeled for a spare bit of leather cos I like the look of your thumb protactor and would also like to copy it. I wonder if wifey would notice a small thumb size hole in her best handbag - ha ha.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Love that one Spamel. I am off to make one and try it now and if I like it I can see everyone on my courses wearing them. I have always taught folk to keep the thumb supporting the work but below the line where the hook travels through but I remember seeing folk carving Noahs Ark animals in an East German workshop and everyone was wearing a big thumb protector.
Thanks for posting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE