Sharp Knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

headrox_inc

Apr 8, 2008
Birmingham
I have recently got my hands on a knew stainless steel knife and its a blunt as a babies first turd. I have got my hands on a sharpening stone but the blade still remains quite blunt, is there any tips or particular movements I shuld be making to get the blade to its potential?

Chris

KNC

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2007
Luton
silverbacks.wordpress.com
Go to the Edged Tools part of the forum and there are two stickies at the top which give a tonne of infomation on sharpening. They were a great help to me.
I'd post links but i'm not sure how.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
I'll second KNC's suggestion about reading all the sharpening tutorials at the top of the Edged Tools forum, first.

Without knowing what knife you have and what sharpening stone you have, it's pretty much impossible to offer any meaningful help, Chris.

Best regards,
Paul.

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Follow the tutorials and when you think it is as sharp as it will ever get, grab an old leather belt and rub some (toothpaste/ Autosol/ honing paste) into the back of the leather and strop the h€ll out of it . . .you'll be amazed just how sharp it really can get!

I was given a Big Swede folder recently as a challenge :D , the tip had been snapped off and the blade edge must have been used for battoning granite (it had teeth where the cutting edge used to be lol) anyhoo using the techniques mentioned here and a lot of stropping it's now a nice shiny (new looking) knife with a scary sharp edge :cool:

Most of all tho take your time and be patient!
Have fun ;)

Kev

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE