Are we weird?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I have always liked the country side, woods, fresh air, rain, etc but only very recently realised that bushcraft could be a great way to learn new skills and enjoy living with nature, rather than just off it. In my early 50's I have come to this a bit late in life (and know little about bushcraft) and have tried to explain to my family that this is not just healthy but extremely useful when Yellowstone Park goes up (or something similar). My daughter is is convinced that I am having a breakdown and my wife thinks it is not worth worrying about things like that, and why would you want to sleep in the cold when you have a bed?

Its nice to see i am not the only one who gets 'are you off your head' looks when I mention I should get basic bushcraft/survival equipment and skills.

I hope to find out what things are available in SE Essex to actually go and learn bushcraft skills instead of just explaining that it is not stocking a bunker with arms and food then waiting for the world to end!

Regards
Fred

Thanks for that. May be you should let them see this group.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
No. Unique ;)

I've been trying to explain climbing and bushcraft for years. I like to think I'm getting somewhere :rolleyes:

I have been Unique all my life ! Least thats what everybody calls me.....then they tend to throw rocks and stuff at me , telling me to shoo!
and thats when I stopped wearing my underwear on my head.
The End.
:)

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
I hope to find out what things are available in SE Essex to actually go and learn bushcraft skills instead of just explaining that it is not stocking a bunker with arms and food then waiting for the world to end!

Regards
Fred[/QUOTE]

What it's NOT about stocking.......? Err well then, color me Red,:eek: . Do I have to disarm the Nuke? Can I keep my Rambo knife? What about my Flack Jacket? Grenade launcher?

D@#N IT , I know I wasn't doing something right!!!
:aargh4:

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
People thought I was weird before I got into bushcraft, when it was raining I'd go for a walk, when me and mates went camping I clean up after them all night so that there wasn't rubbish everywhere.

And of coarse everytime me and my Dad chat about it it always end up with him arguing that Bear Grylls could 'out-survive' Ray Mears any day! :rolleyes:

Being weird is great anyway! Cherish it!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
On my weirdometer scale this morning, It says its weirder than bushcraft to: have to go to work to earn some money, so I can pay the mortgage, the council taxes, the car installments, the road tax, the fuel duty etc etc so that I can sit in traffic, so I can go to work so that I can earn money, so I can pay the mortgage......what an amazing normal way to live :eek:

And they think I am weird, sitting next to a small fire in a quiet wood, drinking a cup of tea :confused: ???

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
Isn't it good that we're seen as a bit odd, otherwise everyone would be doing it and the woods would be packed!
the evil:buttkick: plan is working! Mwuahahahahahahahaha!

who is normal ? what is normal ? are we normal? are they normal? who knows........
:rolleyes: :theyareon :thinkerg: :dunno: :bluThinki

Christy

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2006
Lowlands
HA! You think you've got it tough?
Try being a female, talk about bushcraft and wait for the sniggers and ever-so-funny comments.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
On my weirdometer scale this morning, It says its weirder than bushcraft to: have to go to work to earn some money, so I can pay the mortgage, the council taxes, the car installments, the road tax, the fuel duty etc etc so that I can sit in traffic, so I can go to work so that I can earn money, so I can pay the mortgage......what an amazing normal way to live :eek:

And they think I am weird, sitting next to a small fire in a quiet wood, drinking a cup of tea :confused: ???

yes this film clip says it all to me - the madness of modern life. Network, from 1976. damn cool film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMBZDwf9dok&feature=related

grimstead

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2008
wolverhampton
Hi all

What most people say to me is what do u do once you’re their don’t you get board and then you explain
Ever thing to them what we do and they cant get their head around it lol but what it boils down two it is that we have imagination still like when we was kid over the woods playing about building thing

well that’s what I thing

galew

Tenderfoot
Funnily enough, I have a German friend who drinks maybe one or two small cups of tea a day and the rest of the time he is on water. It threw me at first due to the fact he works in security and therefore has to stay awake all night, but I remember him falling asleep now and again on night shifts in the Guardroom! I should call him up actually as I haven't spoke to him in a long time.
I have been off of all caffeine for the last 20 years, I have more energy and alertness and much less problems staying awake now than I did then. Caffeine is a drug and damages the adrenial glands you are way better off without it. Sorry for the preaching

headrox_inc

Apr 8, 2008
Birmingham
I was interested in LARP a while ago wanted to give it a try but some of the so called rules are just mad, I think the only way i would do it would be to set up my own group and make up my own simple rules and just have fun and not to take it to seriously.
LAters

garbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2006
uk
Whats wierd?
go on the London eye dressed as an eskimo they will think you wierd but they will know you are wierd if they see you in the arctic wearing omly jeans and T shirt

cheer Garry

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
I'm not weird compared to what some of my friends do on a weekend ... they squeeze themselves into a small room with hundreds of other sweating drunk folk, turn the music up so they can't hear anything and can't hear properly until halfway through the next week (whilst they're sat at their nice desks in the city looking out the window at other people doing the same) and then drunk copious amounts of alcohol and don't remember how they got home (if they got home in the first place). Strange people indeed and they call it fun!

Jun 17, 2008
Nottinghamshire
It's difficult to be a deviant of the social norm, when there isn't much of a social norm to begin with.

Other aspects of my life include being a Pickup Artist, studying at uni, studying social dynamics personally, being an avid computer gamer, go to raves, to smoke, drink and maybe do recreational drugs, learning how to DJ, learn how to play the keyboard, write prose, articals and creative writing.

I guess I just do what I want to do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE