6 months around the UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
My wife and I took 6 months off work in order to travel around the UK, to really get to see the country we both think is fantastic. We're pretty much at the end of our time off, so now is a good time to think back and think over what we did. And while I'm at it, I may as well bore everyone else as well!

First, a disclaimer: this is not "proper" bushcraft. We travelled by car, we stayed at official campsites, we bought food from shops and we only ever lit 2 fires. Not once did I make a feather stick. However, in my defence, we were camping, so 99% of our time was outdoors. Since I see bushcraft as being mostly about being comfortable and excited about being outdoors then hopefully others on here will see it as relevant.

Our plan was to visit the "highlights" of British countryside: mountains and plains, inland and coast, forest and open land. However, as things turned out we soon realised that mountains were our thing so we never did go to Norfolk...

In the end we went to: (in order) the Cairngorms; Lake District; Dorset (although only for one week as this was pretty dull after the mountains!); Snowdonia; Nevis Range then back to Cairngorms. Generally we spent 3-4 weeks in one location then went back home in Surrey for a week or so to recover, wash kit etc.

Our most important piece of equipment (and most expensive) was our tent: a Tentipi Varrie 7 cp which we bought specifically for the trip. With the "pro floor" attached it proved invaluable in providing shelter whatever the weather, being able to cook inside and giving us space to eat, sleep and relax. Once that was sorted the rest is all the "minor details" such as sleeping bags, decent clothes and the right equipment.

Our main activity was hill-walking. This become easier after a while once fitness levels improve and you refine your clothing and equipment. We also had lots of fun with other activities such as cycling, skiing, clay shooting, quad-biking, 4x4 driving and so on. We also spent a lot of time just slowly walking or sitting, admiring the wildlife and beauty of the landscape.

As time went on we figured out tips and tricks to make life easier. For example, we got to know what layers to wear for the various temperatures. We spent ages (and a lot of money) using gas canisters for our tent light, until we bought a few big church candles – nicer light, just as bright, just as warm and much cheaper! In the tent the cold floor is the biggest problem for your body warmth so warm slippers and sheepskin rug were great. We got really good at cooking a whole host of different meals on just a Trangia and Heat Pal.

I could go on and on about what we did but the most important thing was, for us, that we were outdoors for most of the time. Waking up each morning in the fresh air with the sound of the wind in the trees, the flowing river and the birds singing is a great way of going about life. You get into rhythm with the days – wake up with the light and sleep when it’s dark. We tended to go to bed around 8:30! Plus, of course, having the freedom to be able to walk up a mountain to enjoy the spectacular views is something we really appreciate being able to do.

The big question is how we coped over winter. The answer is: great! With the right clothing the temperature isn’t a problem. We had lots of rain in Wales and a couple of gales in Dorset, but for the most part we had great weather. The cold also means that it’s actually possible to climb a mountain without being bathed in sweat. Also very importantly there were few people around – being able to do Striding Edge in the Lakes without queuing is a real benefit!

So that’s my attempt at summarising 6 months in a few paragraphs. I’m always happy to help with more information, tips, kit-lists etc if people have any questions - it means I can think about what we did without having to worry about going back to work!

Mark

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
That sounds like good bushcrafting enough for me Mark.
Just to be out and in the hills,call it camping if you like,still makes it part of the craft in my eyes.

Being able to get home for a nice bath etc...is just part of keeping everything fresh:rolleyes: and looking forward to the next outing.

I bet that was more enjoyable than fretting about getting a life experience crammed into a fortnight abroad, doing whatever and worrying if you'd gotten enough photo's :D

Tom.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sounds great!
When I was 20 - too many years ago! - I took a year out and walked Britain.
The memories (and scars) will last forever!
I am amazed that you had rain in Wales, a country known for its eternal drought, we poor souls who live here pray for the stuff.......:rolleyes:
As to your photos....take the negs to your local boots, have them put the pickies on to a disk and then.....LET US SEE SOME OF THEM! Please....:)
I would love to do a trip like yours - but world travelling (for pay) gets in the way :eek:
I am off to Croatia next week, Switzerland a week after I get back, then June is Norway and all of August in South Africa.....:cool:
Still - Britain holds a lot for me to see yet and there are many places I want to revisit....perhaps when I retire.....
Tell us some of your highlights please.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Oooh, highlights. That's a tricky one! We did so much great stuff that it's hard to pick out all of them, otherwise I'll just be recounting most of my trip and boring you all to tears. However, here are a few random ones:
- Getting to the top of Scafell Pike, Snowdon and Ben Nevis
- Walking up Sgour Goath (sp?) in the Cairngorms with gorgeous view of Glen Feshie behind us. Then reaching the top and suddenly the world drops away with spectacular views down to Loch Einach.
- Sitting on the top of Bowfell (in the Lakes) in the sunshine with the gorgeous views
- Having lunch by the waterfall in Glen Feshie - sunshine, stunning water and not another soul around
- Shooting a load of clays out of the air with my first proper go with a shotgun ;)
- Ice climbing the north face of Ben Nevis, something I never thought I'd be mad enough to do
- Seeing a pair of Golden Eagles soaring then coming together, touching talons
- Seeing ptarmigan, snow bunting, dotterel, snow hare and a huge 100-strong herd of red deer, among countless other birds and animals seen on our walks

The best location was staying at the Rothiemurchus campsite just outside Aviemore. Gorgeous spot in old Caledonian woodland with the world's friendliest managers (they even invited us round for roast dinner one night - great!)

In fact we got lucky with the campsite owners. We got on really well with one of the chaps running the National Trust campsite in Langale, Lake District. He gave us loads of local knowledge for the best walks and also gave us the contact details for mountain guides in Scotland.

... and so on. We're looking into getting a slide scanner so we can have an edited highlights on a website.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ah - slides not prints...more expensive to get on to disk....
No highlights from Wales.....like finding a dry pitch for the tent....seeing a cloud from the inside.....discovering rain CAN fall upwards....?

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Actually, I think there was about 5 minutes in Wales when it didn't rain. And at least the waterfalls were impressive.

Wales also proved that my Rab waterproof trousers aren't very waterproof (they're going back to Rab for checking / binning when I have a spare 3 weeks when I don't need them).

The good news is that we've managed to wangle an extra week before my wife needs to go back to work so we're going back to Wales in the hope we can check it out without quite so much precipitation. Hurrah!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Try Pembrokeshire!
It may not have the highest hills, but the ones it has are very good walking, it may not have the highest cliffs, but the Coast Path is glorious!
Before I moved here the longest I had lived anywhere was 6 years - I have been here 29!
If you do come PM me and if I am in the country (not on exped) I will make myself available as a guide for you.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That sounds a really cool trip Mark. So many folk given the opportunity to take 6 months out go off round the world, traveling fast seeing little. So few folk take the time to explore the UK. I think its one of the good things about the US that it is a very common dream of folk when they retire to travel round and see as much of the States as they can. How few British folk share that dream.

Interesting that you chose to spend a few weeks in each spot and get to know it rather than moving constantly and trying to see everything. Sounds like a good plan to me. Did you get more out of places you stayed longer or were there also highlights when you just dropped in somewhere for a couple of days and hit it lucky?

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Good for you Mark. I'm doing a similar thing later this year. There's a thread in 'Other chatter' 'living out for a year' about it if you're interested. I'm hoping to visit Scotland and pretty much as much of the UK as possible. I'm really intrested in history so I'll be visiting a lot of the castles, and stone circles etc doing a lot of walking, photography, sea fishing, paddling (in a canoe) I want to the Hebrides and just see as much as I can and who knows what opportunities will come along. And If I like it, I may just stay out for another year. No council tax, no rent or mortgage, no gas or electricity bills - Sounds good to me

Any tips (good or bad) based on your experiences would be appreciated, and maybe some good campsite recommendations.

Cheers

Nick

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Hi Mark

I pressume it was John, the guy who runs / caretakes Langdale campsite.
He is a really great bloke, I try to get there at least once every year, he has always been very helpful and friendly, which is good considering the ammount of hassel he gets in the summer with shall we say not very nice campers.

sounds like you had a great time, well done to you both for rather than talking about it but acctualy doing it.

So European tour next?;)

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Hi Mark

I pressume it was John, the guy who runs / caretakes Langdale campsite.
He is a really great bloke, I try to get there at least once every year, he has always been very helpful and friendly, which is good considering the ammount of hassel he gets in the summer with shall we say not very nice campers.

sounds like you had a great time, well done to you both for rather than talking about it but acctualy doing it.

So European tour next?;)

It was actually Steve we saw most of. He's a mad, mad ice climber (even more so than John, apparently) so was able to give all the hints, tips and contacts we needed to have a go.

John was a good laugh too and is also excellent as a manager. We had a bunch of chavs come one night who got ******, made a load of noise at 2am etc etc etc. Come 8 in the morning he'd woken them up (with monster hangovers) to tell them to go away and don't come back! :buttkick:

Fallling Rain, I'll have a think and put together a couple of thoughts on hints and tips.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
It was actually Steve we saw most of. He's a mad, mad ice climber (even more so than John, apparently) so was able to give all the hints, tips and contacts we needed to have a go.

John was a good laugh too and is also excellent as a manager. We had a bunch of chavs come one night who got ******, made a load of noise at 2am etc etc etc. Come 8 in the morning he'd woken them up (with monster hangovers) to tell them to go away and don't come back! :buttkick:

Fallling Rain, I'll have a think and put together a couple of thoughts on hints and tips.

Thanks Mark, no rush. I'm compiling a list of campsites for my adventure. I can't wait for the off.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Last night I watched Griff Rhys Jones - Mountain DVD - the North west Highlands episode in Sutherland. Definately adding that to my list of places to visit. Looks absolutely stunning. I went to the Cairngorms national park last November and that was GREAT other than that I've never been to the west side of Scotland.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
My favourite campsites (these come from both this trip and previous ones):

- Rothiemurchus Campsite, near Aviemore (Cairngorms). Once you're past the old cabins / mobile homes (which are going to be updated soon anyway) you're into a wonderful Caledonian pine forest. There are excellent toilets, really friendly managers, you're in the Rothiemurchus estate and you're a stone's throw from the mountains.

- Camusdarach Campsite, near Arisaig (West Coast Scotland). Beautiful location with brilliant beaches (perfect for frisbee!). Friendly owners. This is a place just to chill and not do very much. The main downside is that there's not that much else around so we ended up doing a lot of driving to get to places.

- National Trust campsite in Langdale, Lake District. We were there out of season so it was nice and quite, except for weekends. I can imagine it being pretty chocker over the summer. But when we were there it's a nice place with good toilet block (with drying room) and friendly and helpful managers. Plus you're in one of the nicest valleys in the country with excellent walks straight from your tent. My favourite Lakeland summit, Bowfell, is here too.

- Blackberry Wood, Sussex. Doesn't really need much explanation since it's so well known on here. Lovely woodland and a great place to stay - if it's not already full!

That's the lot for my top campsites. We've stayed in plenty of others but these are hard to beat, although this is nowhere near exhaustive. We couldn't go to several great-sounding campsites because they were closed out of season. For example, there are a few near Fort William which were closed over winter.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
My favourite campsites (these come from both this trip and previous ones):

- Rothiemurchus Campsite, near Aviemore (Cairngorms). Once you're past the old cabins / mobile homes (which are going to be updated soon anyway) you're into a wonderful Caledonian pine forest. There are excellent toilets, really friendly managers, you're in the Rothiemurchus estate and you're a stone's throw from the mountains.

- Camusdarach Campsite, near Arisaig (West Coast Scotland). Beautiful location with brilliant beaches (perfect for frisbee!). Friendly owners. This is a place just to chill and not do very much. The main downside is that there's not that much else around so we ended up doing a lot of driving to get to places.

- National Trust campsite in Langdale, Lake District. We were there out of season so it was nice and quite, except for weekends. I can imagine it being pretty chocker over the summer. But when we were there it's a nice place with good toilet block (with drying room) and friendly and helpful managers. Plus you're in one of the nicest valleys in the country with excellent walks straight from your tent. My favourite Lakeland summit, Bowfell, is here too.

- Blackberry Wood, Sussex. Doesn't really need much explanation since it's so well known on here. Lovely woodland and a great place to stay - if it's not already full!

That's the lot for my top campsites. We've stayed in plenty of others but these are hard to beat, although this is nowhere near exhaustive. We couldn't go to several great-sounding campsites because they were closed out of season. For example, there are a few near Fort William which were closed over winter.

Much appreciated Mark a

I've noted them down in my planning book.

I've never been to that Blackberry wood campsite but I've heard of it. Isn't it a bit of a victim of it's own success since the article about it appeared in the Guardian? I'd heard that since the article it's been swamped. If that's the case I'd probably give that one a miss despite all the good reviews. I'm not being a snob but I like my solitude or at least a quiet campsite without chavs getting drunk and playing their boogie boxes and raucous cackling into the small hours (kids and adults, I've experienced both many times) don't get me wrong, I like a beer but I don't impinge on other people when doing it. Also rampaging kids running around the site with water slides crashing into the side of my tent and their football landing on my table and knocking everything flying and parents not saying a dickie has happened a few times too. :AR15firin :twak: :buttkick: :argue: :D I really hate commercial sites but even the quieter ones get a few numpties sometimes. I'm not saying Blackberry wood is like these places but heard it does get very busy at times.
Oooops went off on one a bit there. I suppose the time I'm least looking forward to is the summer holidays. I may go up to the remotest part of Scotland for as much of it as I can. :D

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I've only been to Blackberry Woods once, just before it became really famous so I don't know what it's like now. However, it's still small and with well-spaced pitches hidden from other campers so hopefully not too bad.

Here are some tips we picked up. Most of them will be obvious and you may already know them, but it's amazing what only becomes obvious only when you try it. Also most of these will be relevant to winter but that's the hardest time, anyway.

- Lighting. We spent a fortune on gas canisters for our Primus lamp (which don't work for long in the cold either) until we gave candles a go. 2 or 3 big church candles are cheaper, just as warm and just as bright - with a more homely light and quieter too! Headtorches did everything else
- Heating: The Heat Pal is great. Yes, meths is expensive but the convenience is great. Since we used a Trangia too we had one fuel for all our heating and cooking needs. The Heat Pal is also handy as an extra stove.
- Floor: I'd highly recommend the Tentipi Pro Floor. The extra zips were essential for moving the Heat Pal / Trangia / Firebox around. We kept a triangle folded back by the door so we could take boots off before getting into the tent properly.
- Cold floor: I'd recommend getting some blankets / rugs (ideally reindeer) for winter - the cold floor really makes you cold and there's only so much you can do while sitting on your Thermarest!
- Keep all your ground vents open during the day to let the tent air and condensation to evaporate - makes all the difference
- Breakfast: Get kettle and cereal (or other breakfast) ready the night before. Then in the morning you just reach out of your sleeping bag, turn the Heat Pal on and put the kettle on. Then in no time you have a cup of tea, a warm tent and breakfast in bed - genius!
- We made do with Nanok down -5ºC bags. Only on the coldest of nights where these not enough. Ideally we'd have had a -10ºC or -15ºC bag but it's surprising what you can get away with. The best thing we did was put our sheepskin rug at the bottom of the bag, so we had toasty feet
- Tent: Even in the most calm, sheltered spots put your guylines up. It's a bit of a faff but there were plenty of times when the calmest of days turned into raging nights!
- I'd also recommend the Tentipi drying rail. Very handy for towels, tea-towels, wet gloves etc to dry out overnight or during the day

I hope that's of some use and isn't just teaching grandma to suck eggs. Let me know if there's anything else you're worrying about and I'll see if I can help.

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE