stainless bushy knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Doe anyone know of any knife makers who make a bushy knife in stainless?

No lectures on the pro's and cons of stainless please, the knife will get wet as it will be in a canoe and on a BA so stainless it must be. I have a lot of knives for different purposes and want to cut back to the basics:rolleyes:

Cheers

WS

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
This one from Rod Garcia is in S30V.

sbt_sansbutt1b.jpg

sbt_sansbutt2b.jpg

The sheath converts easily to a dangler.

dangler1b.jpg

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Alan Wood makes in RWL/34 as does Stewart Marsh who has one on ebay at the moment - quite pricey though!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Rod Garcia's Skookum Bush Tool in S30V is great. I received mine recently for episodes just like yours. I think Rod still has a couple of blanks left in S30V - it might be an idea to contact him and see what he's got. In view of the rate of exchange with the dollar, it represents superb value but you will get stung for about twenty six quid for VAT and duty.

The Alan Wood Stainless Bushcrafter is a very handsome beast. It's a little bigger than the Woodlore and has the advantage of a choice of slab material. Mine has black fibre liners and giraffe bone slabs - very pretty. They are pricey and I'm not sure how much of a wait you'll have. I got mine in seven months but that was a few years ago now.

Alternatively, you could look at that Norwegian manufacturer who turns out the stainless laminated blades - I can't for the life of me remember the compnay name...oops! :eek:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Lots of makers make knives in stainless, and don't worry if people do lecture you saying carbon is better that stainless. They are just plain old wrong. And i don't mean that to be disrespectful to them.

What kind of knife are you after? Mora's come in stainless 12c27 which is a great steel

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Are you looking for a custom or a production knife

Production wise
Mora
Fallkniven (got the F1 myself)
Helle
EKA (add a couple and nice but not my thing)
all spring to mind

for custom
Stuart Mitchell (Stuart M)
Guy Stainthorp (Gucep) , depends if he can get it heat treated though
Shing

If you fancy making your own it's not too difficult to source stainless blades, the custom makers may even do one to your spec

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Just so i can throw another production knife into the mix.

Look no further than an Enzo from Brisa, i think they happen to be one of the best production knives out and they come in a range of handle materials and grinds as well as stainless and carbon steel.

Personally and i don't mean to cause offence to any Helle or Fallkniven owners (i own an Eggen and an F1 myself) i think Enzo has a march on both, this is my opinion of course.

https://www.brisa.fi/portal/index.php?option=com_oscommerce&osMod=index&cPath=92_113

Have a look and see what you think or check out my thread ''New Bushy'' in this section and have a look at what i wrote.

:You_Rock Thanks for the replies folks...
I knew a knife question would get a good response!

Well I am after a "bushy" design and was looking at something along the lines/cost of what SWC produce (I don't think he does them in stainless.)

Like I said before I have a few knives, (buck vanguard is my favourite but it is concave ground and not really strong enough for heavy work at the thin end of the blade), many mora's and other cheaper knives and I fancy just investing in a decent knife that will be used a lot.

I don't see the point in tool steel if you are spending alot of the time on or in water as it may be and I really can't be bothered with all the hassle of keeping it rust free, so it has to be very stain resistant or stainless.

_

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
This is Charlie May's Skifa (handle is wider than normal). Blade is S30V.
I say, that's a very handsome knife, Hoodoo. Lovely clean lines; looks very well balanced.

And of course now that I've bought a house I have a garden... so bushcraft tools practically count as household essentials :D

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Another option is the Grohmann - perhaps the No 1 or the Boat Knife: they are reasonably priced (circa £40), and available in a non-exotic but nevertheless competent stainless steel, with a choice of handles including rosewood, resin-impregnated rosewood that Grohmann call 'Xtrawood', buffalo horn, etc.

The No 1 won a design award when it came out in 1958. Made in Canada of course, and if you look at the Canadian Canoe Routes forum you will see they have quite a following there.

The Boat knife is also issued to the Canadian armed forces.

The handles look unusual but are highly ergonomic and your grip will not slip when your hands are wet.

They are not too heavy - a lot of the Woodlore type 5mm thick full tang designs represent a lot of negative buoyancy!

I have a couple of Woodlores, a Mora and a Brusletto but when out in the wilds it is the Grohmann that lives on my hip. It does not have a Scandinavian grind and I will admit the Woodlore makes slightly better feather sticks, and is slightly better at batoning. But the differences are irrelevantly small, and the Grohmann is lighter, has a more secure grip when wet, and I have also found it to be the better tool for the gralloch when out stalking.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I say, that's a very handsome knife, Hoodoo. Lovely clean lines; looks very well balanced.

And of course now that I've bought a house I have a garden... so bushcraft tools practically count as household essentials :D

It is a dandy Jack. I've put it through the ringer and that S30V just takes it. If you decide to order from Charlie, keep in mind that the standard Skifa has a narrower handle. The handle on this is wider and is as comfy as it gets imo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE