important (for me) Nanok question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Hello all Nanok SF users. Can I ask those amongst us who have rough hands and feet AND own a Nanok to tell me if they every find that their rough skin snags the fabric shell of the Nanoks. I don't (at the moment) have a Nanok but I have had this problem with some (but not all) sleeping bag brands in the past. I have found that if I go anywhere near the fabric (ie stuffing it into a stuff sack or sleeping in one) that my skin on my hands and feet seem to 'catch' and pull the yarn in the material. In one particular example the sleeping bags foot area ended up pretty much shredded over the year I had it - with my skin contantly pulling/puckering the threads in the material.

Some sleeping bags do this, some do not. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone who has had this problem experienced it with a Nanok (I am not a Nanok user - but would be loathed to buy one and find that this was the case.)

Thanks

LBL

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't have 'ticularly rough hands or feet (cossetted femnale I am :eek: ) but I do have a Nanok bag and I've used it in some decidedly bushy situations and I don't use a hammock :rolleyes:
It has a rip stop outer that seems to be pretty bombproof to me, and since it comes with a boot bucket it's intended for squaddies to sleep in it with their kit on.

Mine's green if that's important.

cheers,
Toddy

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I know what you mean and really rough skin does catch on it a bit, as it does on all similar fabrics, but doesn't seem to pull any threads out - maybe it's a tighter weave or maybe because it's ripstop. As Toddy says it does seem pretty bomb-proof.

Failing that take a wee block of Pumice out with you ;)

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Thank for that. I knew I was not alone! I understand that the Nanok's are nylon shells and the Woodlore's are polyester though? Do you think that make a difference?

I hadn't put any thought into which might material was more resistant to wear, However the Woodlore range doesn't seem any tougher. They do however have a better 'cut' and use superior zips. But then again they cost more, are heavier and do not compress as much as the Nanoks.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
As mentioned above, they are pretty solid.
I haven't got the roughest hands / feet ("computer hands" as my brother likes to remind me) but wouldn't see that as a problem.

If you were concerned though for the foot area, then all the Nanok SF's have a really nice "boot well" that sits inside the bag so you can sleep with your boots on.. I doubt your feet are rough enough to get through that.

Good luck :)

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
I had the same problem when my 0 and -10 were new - my finger nails would constantly snag the material, but the problem quickly goes away when the material is softened up through use.

LBL

Does that mean we should rename you 'velcro toes'? :D

(I don't mean to offend.)

On a serious note, I have had similar issues in the past - I got round it a couple of ways, either:

wear socks (on your feet) inside the bag,
or use a sleeping bag liner - cheaper to replace once worn (also easier to wash & air to stop your bag smelling).

I hope this helps

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
LBL

Does that mean we should rename you 'velcro toes'? :D

(I don't mean to offend.)

I've been called far, far worse! :D

No offense taken.

Thanks for the tip. I might have to do that - except I hate wearing socks in bed (if I can avoid it) The silken stuff lining TNF sleeping bags never snagged - it is indeed a dream fabric - just need to get another or find someone who does a bag with a similar material:rolleyes:

Thanks 'Velcro Toes'

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE