Ray Mears first book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Hello could some one tell me how much Ray Mears first book is now going for on e-bay might sell mine if there still going for over the top money.

Cheers MAL

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'd look on Abe books or Book Finder to see how much they can go for. Amazon also lists them now and then. Probably better off as eBay is a gamble, but if you aren't out for a greedy profit than you are looking at around 50 or 60 quid.

K

kedwould

which one? i sasw some hard back versions of "Bushcraft" going for £60 to £90. But then there are still cheap editions of the outdoor survival guide which is earlier then Bushcraft

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The survival handbook is a green coloured hard back book which is, I believe, his best book and is out of print. It won't be coming back into print either according to Ray, therefore it fetches quite a high price on internet auction sites and book sites.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
After reading this i went to look at my only Ray Mears book, it's called The Survival Handbook and says it's by Raymond Mears and not Ray. Printed in 1990 and a first edition. Might just see what i can get for it on the evilbay myself.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
After reading this i went to look at my only Ray Mears book, it's called The Survival Handbook and says it's by Raymond Mears and not Ray. Printed in 1990 and a first edition. Might just see what i can get for it on the evilbay myself.

I'd keep it. It doesn't fetch as much as it used to do and is his best book. get it signed if you can, that'll add value. Ray signed mine at Leeds along with abo9ut another five or so books! Yes, I am a geek!

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
They have the Raymond Mears outdoor survival handbook with a green cover and ray looking at the camera sort of view,, on amazon £6.00

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
I just checked those 2 book websites and it's on there for £128!! Mine was bought for a fiver from a cheap bookshop. Think i'll be keeping it now until Ray does a steve irwin and then it'll be worth a fortune.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
I was just kidding about the steve irwin remark. As much as i think raymondo mears is really well travelled and is one of the leading experts on all things bushcrafty i still don't like watching him much to be honest. If it wasn't for him though i wouldn't have a book worth £100 odd quid.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Here's the post which basically says the following:

there is a lot of confusion regarding the books authored by Ray mears, much of this stems from the fact that they all have similar names and some of them have been republished several times under slightly different names.

thus far there are ten books that I am aware of which where published in the following order:

Survival Handbook: Practical Guide to Woodcraft and Woodlore
ISBN 0946609888 - Publisher: Oxf. Illustrated P - Release date: 1990

The Complete Outdoor Handbook
ISBN 0712648593 - Publisher: Rider - Release date: 1992

The Outdoor Survival Handbook: A Guide to the Resources & Material Available in the Wild & How to Use Them for Food, Shelter, Warmth, & Navigation
ISBN 0312093594 - Publisher: St. Martin's Press - Release date: 1993

Outdoor Survival Handbook: The Classic Indispensable Guide to Surviving the Outdoors
ISBN 0091878861 - Publisher: Ebury Press - Release date: 2001

Bushcraft: An Inspirational Guide to Surviving in the Wilderness
ISBN 0340792582 - Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton - Release date: 2002

The Real Heroes of Telemark: The True Story of the Secret Mission to Stop Hitler's Atomic Bomb
ISBN 0340830158 - Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton Ltd - Release date: 2003

Ray Mears' World of Survival: As Seen on TV
ISBN 000716369X - Publisher: Collins - Release date: 2003

Essential Bushcraft
ISBN 0340829710 - Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton Ltd - Release date: 2003

Bushcraft
ISBN 0340825162 - Publisher: Coronet Books - Release date: 2004

Bushcraft Survival
ISBN 0340834803 - Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton Ltd - Release date: 2005

Those marked in the same colors contain identical or near identical content
(some pictures may have been moved, removed or added with a different title and cover art in some cases it is simply a different format such as a large coffee table size or handbook size version of the same book)

the most difficult book to obtain is the first on the list in green (Survival Handbook: Practical Guide to Woodcraft and Woodlore ISBN 0946609888), all others are easily available

if you get one of the orange titles and one of the blue titles plus if you are determined the title marked in green, you will have all you require from Mr Mears offerings

other titles such as Ray Mears' World of Survival: As Seen on TV, and The Real Heroes of Telemark are more accompaniments to their corresponding TV series than serious instructional manuals

I hope this makes things a little clearer, please let me know if there is an error in the list so that I may correct it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This one went for £32 on ebay recently

ray.jpg

I stopped my bidding at £30 but wish I`d upped it a fiver in hindsight

Rich

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
This one went for £32 on ebay recently

ray.jpg

I stopped my bidding at £30 but wish I`d upped it a fiver in hindsight

Rich

There are two versions of this book; the 1990 original and a reprint from The Promotional Reprint Company in 1994 (ISBN 1-85648-180-8). Only difference is that in the original the photos are on glossy 'photo' paper and in the reprint they are on 'normal' paper (still colour!).

I suppose it depends if you want it as a collectable book or more for the info contained within.

I do think it's an excellent book - the more remarkable when you consider he was only 26 when he wrote it.

I'm off to get my anorak now..................:eek:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
32 quid is very cheap for that book. As I said before, they seem to be going for less and less lately. No idea why though.

:thinkerg: Simple economics really: ask and demand.
They go for less because Ray isn't on air with a new series. As soon as he does the prices will go up to the roof again. People see his series on the telly, getting interested, start searching on E-bay. On the otherside of the coin are the people who have RM books, knives, etc. and try to make some fast money by selling to The Searchers :D ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE