some help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
If it's a genuine US issue, then yes, they are very good.
If it's US military "style" (like 4.99 - 5.99 etc.. etc..) then don't expect pin-point
accuracy....

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
There are two military compasses, the standard one you're probably referring to and the 'artillery version' wich is very precise but also heavy & cumbersome. The only significant advantage of the artillery compas is the possibility to measure angles and the great drwaback is that it lacks the scale on the side which you can use on the average survey map.

So, the standard compass, usually made by Stocker & Yale, is a very robust and precise instrument. It gives you degrees (0-360) and MILS (0-6400), the latter representing 1 meter at a distance of 1 kilometer. Excellent for plotting a track and very good to determine your position by triangulation (OK, you can do it with two points...). Navigation is really easy as long as you remember that every 'click' on the wheel is 3 degrees.

Be carefull because the US army compass is probably the most copied compass. Check the manufacturer and check if it has a NSN (NATO stock number) en DLA number (Defence Logistics Agency).

Good luck & check this article: http://www.kifaru.net/compass1.htm

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
This is what it says: "These military-grade compasses". Frankly it doesn't look like the real thing. The issue compasses are a lighter shade of green.

Check out some US site ancd you'll probably find the same thing at the same price...

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
Mal

I bought one last year from the ebayer forsaleinflorida ( 675 ). He still has them listed under

Item number: 260201722500 (approximately £37.00) (Black)
Item number: 310013827072 (approximately £36.49) (Olive)

If the above links don't work go onto ebay and search for the item number.

I found the service excellent.

As to the compass, I like the fact you can lock the indicator dial (needle) once you have taken a bearing and the inductive damping, which will work pretty well in all temperatures (well those I’m likely to encounter anyway). I am slightly irritated by the bezel indexing in 3 degree intervals and that mils is the dominant scale. I believe some versions only have a mils scale which, unless that is what you want, is something to watch out for. It’s unlikely I’ll be able to take a bearing to an accuracy better than 2 degrees anyway with any compass of this size so I can live with the 3 degree indexing; it may even have been designed that way to remind me that compass bearings in the field are never 100% accurate. The pouch is US army ALICE and, although it is secure when fitted to a 50mm belt, it strikes me as a bit ‘flappy happy’; alright for walking but I wouldn’t like to leap about with it. Mind you I’m finding that with all ALICE gear.

Hope the above helps.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would always go for a Silva compass myself.
Not much streetcred but they are cheap and work, simple and robust and have versions from the most basic to the most heavily featured (clinometers,the lot!) and are widely available. Easier to use with OS maps as well!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE