5 went mad in Fyresdal! BCUK 1st Norway trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rod

On a new journey
Just a few pics from Norway. I think it safe to say that we had quite a time are now all born-again hard! Suffice it to say that the weather was not always this pretty! :naughty: :yikes:

Our very grateful thanks to Torjus and his family. Keep knapping man, and don't fall through the ice!!

If any of the January group have questions please pm me. Advice will be on a very strictly "No bull" basis

thanks to Jason, Dom, Mark & Steve. We did it!

Norway&

L-R: Rod; Jason Sears, Billycan, Bikething & Led

1st_morning-1.jpg

1st Morning - it snowed a bit

And_then_it_cleared.jpg

magical sunset!

Yeah_baby.jpg

Roycroft snowshoes that work are great - otherwise I'd be up to my **** in snow.

Magical_snow.jpg

Arty farty snow crystals shot

I have a few more pics, but decency prevents etc...

cheers

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Fantastic photos, looks like you had great time out there. snow shoes looked good too.
looks beautiful over there.

Simon.

Rod

On a new journey
I think in a nutshell, what we were told before arriving, and what we found on arrival where not quite one and the same. (British understatement there). ;)

One of the other lads said "it's like being in a survival situation" to which I responded "No, it is a survival situation!" Certainly the first 2 days were extremely hard until we had properly established the camp and sorted out some calories!! Nuff said?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That sounds perfect Rod, if you`re gonna do it you might as well do it right.

How cold did it get down to, any idea ??

I`ll be keeping my eye out for the next one.

Rich

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Was your main shelter the Lawvu or was there a bolt hole of warmth near by?
Must of been quite an experience sleeping out in that everynight, tying to keep the fire going. I prefer quinzi's/snowcaves cause its a constant temp, no colder than -2 ish and I sleep right through a solid 8 hours.

Rod

On a new journey
Owing to late arrival on-site and lack of proper prep by our host the laavu was only big enough to sleep 4. (There were 5 of us :yikes: ). Due to aforementioned lack of prep this did not happen and so laavu filled with smoke most evenings, ideally the fire needed to be set on the ground. No 5 created a quick bough bed under a nearby spruce tree. This became quite palatial by day 3, causing much jealousy, as the remainder coughed, cried and swore themselves to sleep each night in the laavu. :tapedshut We quickly created a proper firepit outside and re-packed the firerpit inside the laavu each day - this was an @rse.

For group 2 going in Jan we would strongly suggest that you acquire the following kit for the group:-
  • at least 1 lightweight snowshovel (aluminium would be best) for the group
  • A candle lantern
  • 2-3 packs of candles for lantern
  • A mountain leader 1st aid kit

Take plenty of toilet paper and anti-bac hand gel: and don't waste time with wet-wipes. They freeze and are only good for playing frisbee with! Also, lip balm and neutrogena hand cream (get in touch with your feminine side boys!) If you don't want split lips and finger tips which will be painful.

Individuals should also pack at least 1200 extra calories of food per day - as the food provided is very basic and sparce! Trapping and fishing although great fun and hard work and require calories to start with. Also at the elevation we were camped at we saw no animal tracks - plenty lower down. Rabbit, ptarmigan, squirrel, and there are brown trout in the lakes. Therefore we would suggest the following for each persons kit:-
  • cup a soups - don't waste time and money on the low-cal options: Live a little! 2-3 per day
  • Stock cubes & seasonings
  • Dried fruit & nuts
  • chocolate bars!
  • biltong/salami etc
  • super noodles or boil in the bag rice. Couple of bags of each per person
  • porridge oats - not that oatso simple sh!te!
  • Hot chocolate drink sachets - again go for the full-fat options - 2-3 per day

You may be thinking: "Hey, I know - I'll take some 24hr rat packs!" No no, although tasty and jammed full of calories they are heavy and you will get bitch-slapped on your baggage allowance by Ryanair if you do, and you will curse the precious calories on your climb up to the camp area (about 3.5 hours from Torjus's Dad's farm). Light at dehydrated is best. On this, trust Rod you will. :borgsmile

We cooked a big group meal once a day cobbled together from the protein & potatoes that Torjus provided, but bolstered it with what we had between us to add flavour & substance. We made a soup for lunch from biltong, noodles and whatever else we had spare. Brekkie was fruit, nuts and chocolate

It's better to have a bit more grub than not enough. We were all calorie starved and I lost at least 4kgs over the week. Very svelte now :cool:

The snow will be at least 1 metre deep in Jan (so we were told) and for shelter building/ fire pit prep it would be a big help. The candle lantern would be good for the laavu. Spare candles could be obtained/carried by other team members.

When we left the snow depth inside the laavu would be around 30cm. I believe Torjus will leave it standing in-situ till you guys arrive.

Having said all of the above, the intention is not to scare anyone, or put anyone off. It was as much a learning experience for Torjus as it was for us. Whilst we may not have been able to do everything on the agenda (due mainly to a lack of calories). We had a fantastic time. We all made friendships with each other that will last.

I appreciate that I have used the word "team" a lot. Jan group: You have to go with a team approach, or the week will be a lot harder. It's a hard environment; far more extreme than most people experience, but not scary (E.g. Fire lighting sometimes took 3 people to get it going, each with a function to play).

I know that Torjus has had to take a lot on-board in running this; and I believe that he has already adjusted his expectations of what can be accomplished each day to a far more realistic level. So your week should be a heck of a lot more organised than ours ;) .

If you would like any more info, please feel free to pm me, or call me if you already have my mobile number.

Have a cool Yule and don't have nightmares!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE