Which Trousers over Ulfrotte ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
A question for those who wear merino leggins in winter - what trousers do you wear over them?

having bought a set for use in an upcoming trip I've tried them under just about every pair of trousers I own - all with the same
problem that the trousers 'drag' on the baselayer making it uncomfortable when I bend my legs even slightly..

Amongst the trousers i've tried are craghoppers (solardry), rohans, combats, lightweights, moleskin, even jeans

any ideas folks? the only pair that doesnt snag too much is a pair of Rohan lined trousers...but they rustle like a crisp packet !!

thanks
Steve

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Hi Bikething,
where are you off to? Somewhere cold?

what about Deerhunter trousers, they work well over ullfrotte leggings?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
A question for those who wear merino leggins in winter - what trousers do you wear over them?

having bought a set ..... all with the same
problem ........
uncomfortable

i've tried ......
any ideas ?

Steve

Ooer Steve,
There was I, seriously thinking of investing in some good quality base layers - but your post has put me off.
I've been down the route of PJ's or fleecy track suit bottoms under OG's but always had the sweaty issues if you go anywhere theres a tad of warmth.
Was even thinking of trying some of the Fjallraven (sp) range.

:confused:

Ogri the trog

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
Hmmm I've bought a pair of Ullfrotte Long Johns recently and I can't say that i've noticed this "drag" problem? ( although I might now after reading this :D ) Been wearing them under Craghopper Kiwi's and they are lovely and snug, just the job for a wander in the woods, though they are a tad warm when moving at pace. The lovely lady I spoke to at Woodlore was very helpfull with my questions regarding size/fit. And I treated myself to one of those merrino/possum beanie hats aswell....Bring on winter ;)

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Ogri

The bigger problem for me is that the trousers don't slide over the baselayer so one is always pulling the other around...

thinking about it there's a couple of possible reasons ;

1, the trouser material isn't slippery - the craghoppers for instance have a brushed cotton feel to them so tend to dig into the wool underlayers

2, I seem to have fat legs in relation to my waist, judging from the fit of most outdoorsy trousers i've tried - I can't even get into Rohan bags unless i go 4" too big on the waist :eek:

maybe i just need to buy baggier trousers ?

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Must be something to do with the cut of your trousers (narf narf) being a little slim. Bags and craghoppers are pretty slim, and combats can be a little odd in shape. Not tried Ullfrotte baselayers so who knows.
Have had a similar problem putting baselayers under summer trousers in the past so just use boxers now and use different trousers to give me the warmth, my stormkloth's are excellent, nice micro fleece lining on the inside, kept me warm in norway last month, well very warm really and a good price on evilbay.
Maybe try going up a size in your trousers and using braces to hold them in place, bit more room available then ;)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Never had that problem with my Ullfrotte base layer, haven't noticed any dragging. My favourite trousers to wear over them have to be my Fjallravens, they seem to slide well enough over my Ullfrotte leggings.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I have the same problem with my Icebreaker underwear.
To solve this I wear rather baggy trousers and had good experiences with the Brgans Kikut and the Fjellraven Iceland.
The cut is important. Tight, low cut trousers snag much more than more roomy ones.
Braces work better than a belt.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Just have big enough trousers over them works for me, I carry filt trousers. I don't think you really need them if you got filt trousers if you are going to south - middle norway. As when I'm moving around I don't like to have the warm underwear on my legs. When I stop it's to annoying to take trousers off to put an extra layer underneath. Something like the värmebyxa which I heard you can take on you (over your pants) without even having to take your shoes off (zippers) seems an easier thing in that case. I don't tend to get cold in my legs so I'm fine with just the filt trousers. I'm outside most of the time, living in a tipi in south middle sweden and going on trips quite often, now it gets around -10 C in the night, to give you an idea of temperature here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE