Elizabethan Ale Service

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
Just finished up on this set for someone. It’s a copy of a four pint bombard and a set of half pint cups from an Elizabethan Alehouse (although there is some argument over that as they could also have been from a hospital of the same period)

DSCF2110.jpg

Holding just over four pints the bombard was a fairly interesting job to hot dip but the end result is a really well balance jug for its ale holding capacity.

As I seem to find myself working in the 16th Century more and more these days methinks that tonight I’m gonna party like it’s 1599!

Cheers & good ale
Mike

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now thats really lovely Mike - I would love to own such a stunning piece - very nice indeed!

Red

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
All your creations are really inspiring me to have a go. I've always hankered after one of those bottles like you can buy in france to hold wine, on a sling . But it would be far better to have one with handstitched, proofed leather. Lovely work!

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Just finished up on this set for someone. It’s a copy of a four pint bombard and a set of half pint cups from an Elizabethan Alehouse (although there is some argument over that as they could also have been from a hospital of the same period)

Holding just over four pints the bombard was a fairly interesting job to hot dip but the end result is a really well balance jug for its ale holding capacity.

As I seem to find myself working in the 16th Century more and more these days methinks that tonight I’m gonna party like it’s 1599!

Cheers & good ale
Mike

Oh, that's real nice work fellah. Puts me in mind of roaring fires, roast pigs and comely wenches!

And, if it did in fact, come from a hospital, not an alehouse; then at 4 pint capacity, it is some "sample" jar.:rolleyes:

Ceeg

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
Thanks guys, it was an interesting commission, even if we are still arguing over ale house or hospital. A full bombard was regarded as 8 pints in some areas so quite a big vessel indeed and a root to the expression to get 'bombed'.... 8 pints of rough ale, bombed indeed!

Cheers
Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE