Wet Cold/ Dry Cold?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Cant remember where the other thread was so I'll start a fresh one. :?:

Russia, Finland and Lapland trip - wet cold or dry cold snow between August and say April?

Anybody know which conditions are most prevalent? Anybody recommend boots for these conditions - Mukluks? Mickey mouses?

All info welcome as usual! :biggthump

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Gary said:
Anybody recommend boots for these conditions - Mukluks? Mickey mouses?

I imagine you would get some strange looks trekking through the snow with boots that have large black ears and a little button nose! :wink: :lol:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
:rolmao: you donut Scott :rolmao:

Mickey mouse boots are the nick name given to US army arctic boots as they look like what mickey mouse wears! :rolmao:

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Gary said:
:rolmao: you donut Scott :rolmao:

Mickey mouse boots are the nick name given to US army arctic boots as they look like what mickey mouse wears! :rolmao:

oops :rolmao:

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
Sorel boots? It's what most people around here who spend alot of time in the snow use for relaxing their feet (you need proper mountaineering boots for anything technical). They're originally canadian, and I think are used by mushers originally(I think that's their names, the guys that drive dog sleds) but eveybody who spends time outdoors in the cold has a pair! You can get them in any sort of warmth and they're really comfy)

That's what they look like typically:
sorel.boots.jpg

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Gary,

I did a bit of poking about on Google and found the following snippet from a place called Ekaterinburg, it's close to Siberia and I'm not sure EXACTLY where you're going but this may help. If you could tell me where you had in mind more specifically, I may be able to find some more detailed information.

Snippet:
In January, the coldest month of the year, average temperature is -16 -17°C (3-1 °F) Sometimes (very rarely) it becomes as cold as -40 °C (-40 °F). Thaws in winter are very rare.

During long winter there is a lot of snow in the city and it melts down by the end of April. April and May are two dirtiest months as all mud lays on the streets.

July is the warmest month of the year. The average temperature is 18 °C (64 °F). The hottest temperatures are 35-38 °C (95-100 °F).

Summer ends in late August with first frosts coming to Urals.

"Indian Summer" in the middle of September is short but very nice.

First snow falls in the beginning of October, and finally covers the city in early November.

Swimming in the lakes is possible from June till August.
End Snippet

As for cold weather gear, if you're going to go plodding about and wanting to stay really warm this may be for you (http://www.northernoutfitters.com/p...Sportswear&category_name=Artic&product_id=110) they're $209 CAD or you could try and get some yetti gaitors for the boots suggested below or any other type of boot.

I hope this is slightly useful.

Joe

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
Gary said:
Thats more like it - do they have detachable liners?
Yep, they have a detachable felt liner. (the sheepskin at the top is just for show, it's felt inside =) )

I don't know how they'd do for walking long distances though, I tend to move quite alot in them...

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Cheers Squidwort - :rolmao: - sorry relapsed into Sponge bob square pants then!! Good snippet mate - not sure where, or what I will be doing or if it will all come to nothing even - its all in theplanning stages at present.

Douglas - sorels are higherly regarded so they would probably be good althought for skiing and snowshoeing I am still thinking Mukluks.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Douglas, they look really nice... I've been looking for something like that for my girlfriend for a while. Do you know of any online shops that sell them?

Cheers

Joe

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
Squidders: Sorry, I don't know of any. But our local sports supermarket (the type of shop that has tons of stuff for every sport you could think of and are cheap) sells them (well they had the lowest of the leather/rubber range last winter). But it seems that the only ones they do in this style (leather upper, rubber under) now are the "caribou" that are rated to -40° comfort...You used to be able to get lots of "warmths", maybe it's just because it's the automn collection?

Gary: Searching for an online dealer for squidders, I found this that might interest you:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishin...eb45876bf6f8f6184f186ccf6f859cfe&topic=3722.0
Alot recommend Mickey Mouses

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Good site and yes the Mickey mouses do seem popular, but I hear they have a down side if your out in the field over night as the moist build up insode can freeze etc.

Squidders - the sorel type boot is similar to Lundhags and I think you might find them not to clever in the uk as they make the feet sweat alot (rubber boot).

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I’ve not tried many boots but I do know that the Sorel’s are good. I used them for two years in Canada down to -68 degrees C (with wind) and they were very comfortable. I’d recommend them. They were on my feet out on the frozen ocean, in huge drifts and raging storms and never let me down. They need looking after or the leather can crack but just a little TLC and they’ll last for years.
:biggthump

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Gary said:
Squidders - the sorel type boot is similar to Lundhags and I think you might find them not to clever in the uk as they make the feet sweat alot (rubber boot).

They would be for my girlfriend... she got cold in egypt... during the day... in August! Yes, she is a freak :)

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Wet cold: Nokia rubber boots with felt liner

Dry cold: Leather boots wiyhout Gore Tex and with either room for many socks or a felt liner. There is a small company in sweden called "Jörn kängan" that makes a boot made by hand for real cold and that has a felt liner. But they don´t take any more orders since they have to deliver a lot of boots to the army.

You can always try to find out what kind of boots the finnish army uses, since they operate in the area.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Ten bears - I already have moose hide choppers and liners from my last visit to Canada and I have looked at the Stieger Mukluks cheers.

Viking, Nokia boots? Have you a link?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE