Tatonka Versus Zebra Billy Cans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

BrianA

Does anyone have any experience with both the Tatonka Pans and Zebra Billy? The Tatonka are like the ones at the top of this page:

http://www.proadventure.co.uk/acatalog/Pots_and_Pans.html#a71

I want to get a new set, and I am torn on which one. It seems the Billy cans are great, and you can not go wrong with them. However, I think I prefer the wider base and shorter sides of the Tatonka. But, I do not know much about their reputation or quality. I like to buy stuff once.

Any insight would be helpful.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It seems that the Tatonka has a few plus sides in that the bail locks in position so that you can pour it properly, the wider base allows for more heat transfer so you can boil water faster. I reckon that whichever way you go, you are getting a fantastic bit of kit. I use Zebra billies, stuff what the bushcraft schools say about them being crap! Not sure if they all do, but I know one does for sure. Use whatever you are comfortable with, try and get to use the kit beforehand if you can by getting along to a meet or similar.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
I've not used the Zebra's but saw a few at the Moot. I have had my Tatonka 1.6 for about 3 years now and it's still going strong.

The locking bail is great although it can be a bit twitchy if you don't secure it properly before tipping when not entirely full (It needs a bit of weight in there, it can be hard in some cases when it's scorching hot).

Another factor is the billy lid can be used as a frying pan when you attach the handle to the lid.

It's a decent bit of kit and usually a fair bit cheaper than the Zebras

Cheers
Carlo

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I have a Zebra billy. TBH I think it's all much of a muchness if you're just boiling water and/or heating a boilie. As spam says, the shorter/wider tatonka should have a faster boil time through greeater heat transfer, but it'll only be a few seconds if you're just heating 0.5L or so.

The difference will come if you cook a stew or similar - it always sticks then burns in my zebra billy. Depends if you're going to cook properly in it I think. Boiling in a billy is fine, otherwise I'd think about the tatonka.

leon-1

I have a Coleman pan and a number of the Zebra's.

The coleman design is very similar to the Tatonkas apart from the lid (I was looking at Giancarlo's at the Bushmoot earlier this year). Just as a personal opinion I think the Coleman / Tatonka design with the locking bailarm is better, especially when trying to pour anything:rolleyes: .

Zebra's are nice but in the end they are "tiffin tins" and as such they are highly overpriced when sold in this country.

In many ways the smaller and lighter Tatonka has the better of the Zebra unless you are out as a group cooking individual items in varying sizes of pot, but if you are out as an individual or a couple of people then generally the Tatonka would be a better choice.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I have both in several sizes and they're both great stuff.
Unless you do something silly like drive over them with a tank or try and produce boiling air in them, they're both going to live as long as you can wish for.
I prefer the Tatonka when cooking on a stove and the Zebra when cooking on open fire.
The larger surface of the Tatonka pot makes for a more efficient cooking when on a stove, whereas the higher sides on the Zebra are better for an open fire.
The lid of the Tatonka can be used as a frying pan, but make sure the little handle don't go missing.
The Tatonka are generally cheaper.
The wider Tatonka is also generally a little bit easier to stir things around in as it's wider.

So, to summarize:
If you're planning to cook more on an open fire - go Zebra
If you're planning to cook more on a stove - go Tatonka
If a frying pan is a must - go Tatonka
Afraid of loosing smaller bits and pieces - go Zebra
Many sizes to choose from - Doesn't matter which one you choose
Ease of use - not entirely sure, but leaning towards the Tatonka

/ Karl

B

BrianA

Thanks all for your replies. It has been extremely helpful.

Brian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE