Hook In SAK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Young Bushman and I were wondering what the hook in some SAK's is used for? On Knifeforums someone mentioned that it could be used to carry bags after shopping...?! :roll: :wink:

I know there can be several uses, but I can't see which ones...? :roll: :wink:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
It's billed as a parcel carrier ... hmmmm, something I need all the time!

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
Young bushman, it's a type of knitting, you do it with a hook (crochet). I can't remember exactly how it's done though.

What an explanation in a shop said (a page printed from the victorinox site or something like that), is that it's for carrying things...not so usefull for shopping bags, but if it's a box or something with a thin string round it, it's much nicer using the knife's hook than having the string digging in your hand.... :wink:

Edit: oh well, Adi beat me to it, will teach me to stay on the reply screen for half an hour while I do something else :roll:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Douglas said:
Edit: oh well, Adi beat me to it, will teach me to stay on the reply screen for half an hour while I do something else :roll:
Tee hee :lol:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I actually use the hook when tying fishing knots. I tie the knot, place the fishing hook over the SAK hook and pull the line to tighten the knot.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Clearly it's intended for emergency use, sliding down convenient cables angled between buildings, or cable car pylons. Sure I've seen James Bond do this. Perhaps some of you could have a go and let me know how it turns out...?
:naughty:

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
bigjackbrass said:
Clearly it's intended for emergency use, sliding down convenient cables angled between buildings, or cable car pylons. Sure I've seen James Bond do this. Perhaps some of you could have a go and let me know how it turns out...?
:naughty:

:rolmao:

I just HAVE to try that next time the chairlift brakes down :naughty:

(unfortunatly I'll have to wait for this winter, still 3 months and a week till the glacier opens...too long :cry: )

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
TheViking said:
Hi...

Young Bushman and I were wondering what the hook in some SAK's is used for? On Knifeforums someone mentioned that it could be used to carry bags after shopping...?! :roll: :wink:

I know there can be several uses, but I can't see which ones...? :roll: :wink:

As everybody knows, the so-called "swiss army knife" is in fact a modern copy of a 19th century Sheffield "sportsman's knife", when "sportsman" meant more or less "horseman".

The little hook is a boot hook, for fastening your boots. You would pass the hook through a loop, reach over to the button on the other side of the boot, and pull it through the loop. Sometimes called a button hook.

Look at the fourth article in this image:
http://bpics.rubylane.com/graphics/shops/southernexposure/1228.7L.jpg

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE