Money no object tent...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
'ello...

I currently use a fairly cheap and cheerful tent I got from blacks but it's not that well thought out and has baggy spots that just won't go away etc etc...

I'm looking for a top tent that will take all weather conditions... really top... no, better than that :)

I've been looking around at some from Mountain hardwear / north face but nearly all of the ones that are described as one step down from fall out shelter are bright yellow :cry:

So, I obviously have a few things I'd like in a tent... a gear loft perhaps or enough room to sleep myself and my girlfriend in comfort with room inside for a load of climbing gear and cooking etc... It has to have a good ground sheet as this is england and i'm sure you teepee fans will be muttering but it just rains too much not to have a good built in ground.

So, what would you get if money were no object for lugging around the country that will survive everything I'll throw at it?

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Squddiers

Hi for a start, haven't seen your posts before. North Face are good tents but the best imo are Terra Nova. If you want a bit of room start with the quasar range and work up from there. They vary in weight depending on how bomb proof you want but even the ultra lite ones are more than a match for UK winter and more if that is your poison.

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/terra/intro.shtml

I have a voyager and the only complaint is the size but as I say start at the bigger ones and no problem. They have a lifetime guarantee which I have tested and the fix faults no quibble (only one fault in 10 years isn't bad anyway).

If you find them in the sale £300 will last a lifetime so worth several £150 tents.

Bill

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
Hi,

How about an Exped one, it seems to fit what you want, a roomy 2 person tent with space for gear :
here's the official page (near the bottom)
It also won a Backpacker Magazine award : here.
And the price is reasonnable ($350, not bad for a tent like that)

Others makes with a good reputation are Hilleberg from Sweden and Helsport from Norway.

Failing that, how 'bout a good ol' Force Ten, I know those will take anything you can through at them, ours is still going strong after 30 years (my mother's actually, she used it in the highlands in her university time). :lol:

Good luck in your search!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Hi Bill :wave:

Thanks for the link... I hadn't really looked at the Terra Nova range that closely as I've only seen their el-cheapo range for sale...

The Hyperspace one in their endurance range looks nice... I'll be going to try it on soon I think.

Any more suggestions welcome from anyone.

Cheers.

Joe

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Squidders said:
Hi Bill :wave:

Thanks for the link... I hadn't really looked at the Terra Nova range that closely as I've only seen their el-cheapo range for sale...

The Hyperspace one in their endurance range looks nice... I'll be going to try it on soon I think.

Any more suggestions welcome from anyone.

Cheers.

Joe

A Hyperspace would be my next Terra Nova if I could justify 2 tents. It has more than enough room for you + the missus and all your gear and it's bomb proof with an extra grounsheet protector it will last ages and you will be the envy of any campsite in the world (which is nice).

Let me know what you decide, I'll be interested. You can find them on ebay now and then but the price doesn't come down that much.

Bill

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Raz said:
Hilleberg; doesn't get alot better. but bags of money.

Yeah, they seem to be good quality but only for the tunnel type, i'm after something that is self supporting as I usually find the dip in the ground that fills up with water overnight...

I spend most mornings trying to remember where I picked up the water bed :?:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I'd get a army one tonne converted into a camper van and live in that!

Or as monies no object

I'd have a vehicle built from scratch to my specs! Ultimate luxury!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i'd have to agree with everyone who's said terra nova and hilleberg, but MSR are worth looking at too, i use one of their ultra light ziod2 thingies but they do some fantastic 4 season tents too. just another avenue for you to explore.

stuart

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Gary said:

I used to have a VW Camper (type 2) it was a pain in the rear to keep running, kept breaking down but it was the ultimate in FUN !!!

Absolutley loved that thing, fridge , sink, double bed the lot :hump: ...

am going off in the corner to cry now :sulkoff:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I would probably go for a Hilleberg.
I am looking around for a new tent at the minute but would like to take another look at the Moskoselkatan before i decide but I expect the Hilleberg would be a more sensible choice.
From what i have been told the Hillegerg tents have better ventilation than most others so i think they should suit British weather.
I still use my Force 10 with the vestibule and it is "bomb proof" but i only use it when i take my Defender as it weigh's a ton!

Gary said:
I did Gary ,
403_0348_1.jpg

Just back from a week away fishing in it.
700 mile round trip ,mostly around the west coast of Ireland (Sligo ,Achill Island ,Connemara ,Galway across to Dublin and then back to Belfast.)
VW T4 ,2.5 Turbo diesel ,full camper interior built to my spec and my choice of materials.
Windows with limo tint ,dash refinished in burl walnut trim ,half leather retrim of front seats and the double bed ,eberspacher heating ,2 burner hob ,grill ,sink and fridge/freezer.
Electric windows, sunroof ,mirrors and storage for 5 fishing rod's ,a tripod and a big umbrella :lol: .
403_0382_1a.jpg
403_0384_1a.jpg

......and im still looking for a good tent !

RB

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
You lucky , lucky man RB

... am crying even more now :cry:

She`s beautifull mate.

Dare I ask how much one would set me back ?! Just had a nose on Autotrader and ebay but nothing anywhere near as nice.

p.s sorry to go off topic.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
RB if I had known you were a rich man I wouldnt have given you any freebies!! :eek:): :rolmao:

Seriously though, nice looking van my friend, I am green with envy here! And if you ever want to swap it for a tent let me know!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
rapidboy I have backpacked a few times with the force ten MK 5 an a number of times. I would also recomend these tents if your not carring them on your back but for 2 people they aren't a backpacking tent.

just for the record a MK5 weighs in at 6.5kg for a 4 man tent. thats not leaving enough sspace for kit but the extension fly sheet and poles which the cotton one is about 1.5kg brings it up to 8.3kg. You now have a tent that will take 5 people and all their kit with space to cok inside when it's raining. all this for just 1.6kg per person. this tent will survive anything and will do that for 20+ years

though it does cost £670 to start with

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
What is the difference between the models.
Mine is a Mk3 CNX ,it's green not orange and has a porch which is great for gear and cooking in.
I had an older one without the porch and it was orange but the shape was the same.
Is the Mk5 still the same design?
RB

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I thought the pink with yellow polka dots would clash with the grey leather. :eek:):

The guy that "dipped" the dash ,covers a lot of gun stocks in camo patterns and he did try and convince me that a nice Advantage Realtree would look the part but i declined :eek:): :eek:):

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
the origonal force ten tent cam in either the SD stadard version with cotton fly sheet or the CN version with the nylon fly sheet. some modles of the CN had the extended porch bulit in but the porch was avaliable as a seperate part that fits on (which we have) the Mk1 was a different style to the others and was a one man tent the only ones they make now (they may have stopepd even these now since they aren't on the website) are the MK3 MK4 and Mk5 these been 2 3 and 4 man tents. the extendad porch was an option that could fit on the mk4 and Mk5.
I hope that helps. I have a lot of exprience of these as woodcraft used them since they last so long

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE