Working Ferrets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Absolutely! Great sport to be had.
I'd recommend that you get a couple of hobs (dogs in some areas) unless you want to go through the business of getting the jills (bitches) jabbed or served by a hoblet (hob that's had the snip). Even so you may benefit from getting the hobs castrated - cuts down on the stinkiness in season.
Hemp nets over nylon - much less prone to tangle but you need to be sure and dry them out between outings to prevent rot.
Lot's of websites about ferreting...

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Couple of castrated hobs was what I was thinking- once my ex moves out she has custody of the cats and I was wondering about getting ferrets instead of replacing the cats - they rarely caught anything edible.
How far can the little buggers walk - I can't drive and I'm wondering if they'd cope with a day on the bank when I'm fishing - kept on leads until I'm ready to rabbit. I'd normaly walk a good 20 - 30 miles on days fishing, I wouldn't expect them to walk all of that but you can't keep them in your rucksack for a whole day.
cheers
Realgar

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
Ferrets aren't much for walking! Unless that is they're walking away from you, in which case they get a suprising distance.....
You really don't want to be putting them in a rucksack at all, it's neither safe nor comfortable for them. If you have a box they'd probably just sleep all day until required for action, you'd need to make sure that they were in the shade and had access to drinking water. Let 'em out for a sniff now and then.
I'm not convinced of the practicalities of combining the two activities, I dunno how much kit you take fishing but kit for ferreting can take up some space. Nets, ferret finder, spade etc. Oh and if you have two ferrets on leads - expect tangled leads!

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
When I say rucksack I mean ferret bag. Are there true bred polecats available in captivity? I love the markings on them.

Ferret finders - I was suprised how affordable they are now, and so much more reliable than putting another ferret in to send the missing one out - you'd surely run out ferrets.

Realgar

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
Yeah I'm familiar with the ferret bag, I'm not in favour of them myself. Reason being that they aren't comfy for your little workers and there is no protection for them from heat or big feet!
You'll always come across the ferret keeper who swears blind that his ferts were sired by a true polecat. He is either a liar or just stoopid.
Ferrets have been domesticated for centuries and have been bred to be good at their job and good to handle. Polecats haven't!
Many ferrets are polecat coloured. These days you can get a wide variety of colours from albino to blonde to sandy to near black. Ask around I'm sure you'll find something suitably 'poly'.
In the old days it was common to have a big hob as a liner. When your ferret 'laid up' you'd send the liner down with string tied to him and the hob would drive the ferret of it's kill. You would then estimate the location of the hob by looking at the direction of the hole and by checking how much string had been used. Then dig!
The finder cuts out the need for a separate hob and cuts down the number of holes you have to dig.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I strongly agree with using a ferret finder go for the 15 foot version, expecially if your ferreting in sandy locations as the earths can go very deep! Always go for a box as the safety of your ferrets is paramount, its like being dragged about allday in your bivvi bag ha ha VW camper is much more comfey :eek:): :eek:): :wave:

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
How do you catch ferrets? I've got one that decided to live on top of my garage and is making a big mess up there, I was thinking of making a deadfall but that would squash it and kill it, and if I can keep it alive and do something good with it well, why not?

So what's the best way of capturing it? (even if it's just to release it 50km away so it doesn't come back)

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
as you dont know if its tame wear big thick leather gloves if you pick it up they cant half bite! there lovely pets when tame though ive got 6.....and yes a baited, live catch rat trap will do the trick a little meat in the back and he walks in door closes job done... :eek:):

L

logstacker

Hi! my first post here.Yes I have worked ferrets for years,made a living for a while doing rabbit clearance.I personally prefer Hobs,the real kind,not castrated.It only means you keep `em seperate for the Summer.When the Jillscome out of season they all go in together `til Spring.
As for walking ferrets on leads HMMM.
First and foremost they are working animals,but they are not greyhounds!
Keep them in good clean runs/cages,and carry them to your hunting grounds in a box.Oh,and but a good book-Practical Ferreting by Fred J Taylor is a good one,or Modern Ferreting by DB Plummer.
Sorry if my first post sounds a little impatient,but I have been round the block on this one.Enjoy your ferrets.

L

logstacker

Lurch,I`ve been out of the loop too long.Didn`t realise Bri` Plummer was dead.Went out on his rat hunts a time or three in the 80`s.I used to keep a mean brand of Russell terrier.Cracking fox dogs.
A regards the Jills,I just let them run their season.It`s a load of old rot aboutthem getting ill if not mated .I have never experienced problems with mine.
Have to agree with you about hemp nets,will not use anything else-make my own.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE