Beautiful Cocobolo knife handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here goes.

I am making 2 knife handles using a extremely nice looking Cocobolo wood. I am now wishing I never touched the stuff. Over the past 2 days, I have had a very unpleasant reaction to the dust. My whole face, neck, ears, and arms from the elbow to the wrists, also another area, due to a visit to the bathroom during sanding:eek: have turned a very nasty red, swollen, irritating, hot rash, (no blisters yet) . Feels like ants crawling on my face and neck with sulphuric acid feet! I have seen a pharmacist and she advised some antihistamine tablets and cream. This has not done much to help so far, and the cream E45 which is pretty bland stuff is actually producing a burning sensation when I put it on.. I am taking the day off sick to go and see a doctor, hoping that he will have a better idea what to use.

My own fault, no excuse: I should have know better. I work with wood enough that I should have been more careful. But it was only a couple of small bits of wood for two knives......

Just a reminder that we should take precaution when working with wood, such as checking first as to what to expect. There is plenty of info on the net regarding wood toxicity etc

I am just glad it has not affected my eyes (yet??) or my breathing. Thats happened to me once some years ago and it pretty horrible.

So, gents who work with woods, please be careful and check first before cutting and sanding that small insignificant piece of beautiful wood.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
ouch sounds like a nasty case of dermatitis. I've heard that people can have a reaction to this wood.

Scanker, don't suppose the info on BB can be posted into this thread can it? I have no access to BB as work doesn't like it.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Is swelling in that area a bad thing really, or are you just bragging? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, hope you are feeling better soon. ATB....Stu

Tutut..sxmolloy.... This particular version of things is a bad thing;)

Not terribly strange Jon. It's part of the tree's natural chemical defences and basically it affects us as well as any other animal that threatens and damages it.

Off to the doctor at 11am.

leon-1

I can only sympathise jojo.

Cocobolo has been linked with this type of reaction in many people, BRKT won't work with the stuff as one of the guys in the workshop is highly allergic to it. It is a great shame as it's a beautiful wood.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Yeah, but how did the knives turn out? We really want to see the KNIVES!!

Oh, I see. That the sympathy you get round here. You are in agony and they want to know how the knives are:yikes: Gee, thanks mate. I think I'll sulk and keep them all to myself now........:D

Seen the doc and got given (well, not given) some steroid creams, predictable!!! At least, she did not ask how the knives were....

The computer went all funny on me, refused to write:confused: Had to turn it off and it's ok now. I'll post pics when I finish them. Right this minute, I don't feel like touching the things!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm sure there are several things that you don't want to touch Jojo

Sympathies - it sounds bleeding horrible. I've heard a week on the sick, a stack of DVDs and a bottle of Caol Ila is supposed to help

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Would wetting the wood be beneficial? I'd imagine that the dust would then forma woody paste, but at least it isn't airborne and able to spread all over your skin.

Hope you get better quick, maybe worth making some sort of localised extractor, or use a hoover next to the work piece to immediately remove the dust.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Well, what do you do with these guys who can't make up their mind.... I said earlier, I didn't feel like touching the thing....So what do I do after an hour's rest?????I cover myself up, put the dust mask on and finish the thing:confused: :dunno: People, hey.... I did use wet, wet&dry this time and finished the handle. Here is the baby:

DSCN0332.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/mollygypsy/DSCN0331.jpg[/IMG

Thinking about it, I asked for trouble with the dust, I had a dust mask on and I was outside, there was a bit of wind, and i made a lot of dust with an angle grinder &sanding disc. That swirled the dust over me.. Stupid really. Won't do it again

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE