My life stripped away from me

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I have lived on a country estate all my life full of 100's of achres of parkland and woodland. Me and my family are the only ones that appreciate this land and now it has been taken away from us!

The landlord and estate manager have decided that we cant even step foot in a field! No more bushcraft for me! I am restricted to my house, garden and main roads. From now on all i can do is stare over a fence at the woodlands that i shall never see again. I am actually crying!:(

If we do go in the woods my parents have the risk of getting the sak! We are thinking of leaving.:( I grew up here and i never want to leave but im sure the grass is greener somewhere else.

Dont expect anymore crafts from me for a long time or any tutorials. I just dont have the access to any land!

Jon

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Have they given any kind of reason why they've taken this step? I take it there's
not been much of a discussion with your family and just a decision given to you?

Do they have new plans for the land? It is a bit odd.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Really s'orry to hear this Jon.....You inspire many of us on here with what you do and your enthusiasm. I hope you can find somewhere to carry on carrying on....

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
What a nasty blow Jon.:(

Don't give up.There is still a lot of accessible country around.It just means that it will take you a bit longer to get into it.

Be interested in the reasons behind this;it seems well OTT.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Oh dear,and the trees might fall on your head.:rolleyes:

I think a Health and Safety bod,or the estate's Solicitor has been having a word.The trouble seems to be the same as in Wayland's post.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
You must understandably feel upset especially if you only just found out today, out of the blue so to speak. But I would say dont be defeated by this set back. You are talented, enthusiastic and inventive anyone can see that. Please dont stop making stuff, just use what you can find and your creativity will get going I have no doubt. See what you can acheive in less than ideal circumstances, it might surprise you :) . I built my first pole lathe about 15 years ago in the outside privvy of our first little terraced house in darlington, not a blade of grass in the back yard never mind a tree or bush, but I obtained logs "one way or another" :rolleyes: , even carrying them from the park on my shoulders (ouch) as I never even had a car then :lmao: I worked long shifts in crap jobs to pay for the house, moved elsewhere renovating as we went, moving eventually to east anglia. Stay positive, perhaps you need to move on, this is maybe the catalyst? cheers Jonathan :)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Jon Sorry to hear this. It is a great shock when something hits you out of the blue like that. Sounds like Border River is right. H&S has raised its ugly head in your part of the world, like it does in many other part of our lives. Mr Dazzler is absolutely right. Don't let a set back beat you. As far as bushcraft is concerned, there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Ther wil always be another way to build canoe or make a basket. You have been very lucky to live where you have. See this as opening the door to many new opportunities, rather than a complete defeat.:You_Rock_

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Really s o r r y to here this bad news Jon, what do you think your chances are of maybe working with the gamekeeper/s? If you can do that then you would possibly be aloud back on the land.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Really sad to hear this news. Seperating a Bushcrafter from the land is very bad. I take it this is a final decision by the owner? I can't understand why they might have taken this action if you have had open access for so long. Please don't give up hope. Have you tried talking to them? Keep us posted. Remember the opera isn't over till the fat lady sings!:(

S_orry to hear this Jon. I'm on MSN if you want to have a chat about it.

Jon, are the landlord and estate manager aware of your work and the things you produce? If not, I would suggest you/your parents try to meet with them and show them some of your work (including anything you've had published). Open access might not be possible, but there might be a certain area where they would let you collect stuff for your projects. Do they have pheasant shoots on the estate? If so you might consider offering to be a beater for the shoots in return for some access to the land. That might also help the gamekeeper to get to know you better. If the landlord has children, you might offer to teach them some basic skills as well.

Not being fully aware of the situation and not knowing the individuals involved it's difficult to be able to give really useful advice, but hopefully something above might give you ideas of where to go with this one.

ATB

Kevin

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I can't imagine how gutted you must be being denied something you've had for so long. I hope that things quickly return to a more reasonable state of affairs.

I'd keep talking to the estate manager and the gamekeeper and see whether a softer approach rather than an out and out ban can be agreed.

Scoops

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Jon, are the landlord and estate manager aware of your work and the things you produce? If not, I would suggest you/your parents try to meet with them and show them some of your work (including anything you've had published). Open access might not be possible, but there might be a certain area where they would let you collect stuff for your projects. Do they have pheasant shoots on the estate? If so you might consider offering to be a beater for the shoots in return for some access to the land. That might also help the gamekeeper to get to know you better. If the landlord has children, you might offer to teach them some basic skills as well.

Fenlander makes a good point here. Perhaps the situation could change with a bit of give and take, if the estate manage and the keeper realise your mature, responsible your not going to poach game or cause damage etc. Is it new management/keeper etc do you have any clue as yet as to what has kicked this all off ? And I would try to not get antagonistic if is possible, it might pay off in the long run. Do they coppice any of it? That could be useful if you were willing to help in some way? Just another thought
cheers Jonathan :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Jon,

Some lives path is clearly marked. Yours I think is one - a person more clearly intended to pick up the torch of getting people in touch with the great outdoors is hard to imagine. I am confident that one day you will be one of the greats.

To date, you have had a privileged location and access to the outdoors to build your love of nature. Maybe this gap will help you understand how poor city dwellers feel who don't feel the seasons turn - and sympathise with them when you come to teach them as I'm sure you will.

I feel your pain Jon - if I can help in any way let me offer to help here and now.

Don't despair - we'll all help you where we can. Now is the time to learn other skills - knife making, carving, making clothes and packs. Its no substitute but I feel certain you will be outdoors again where you belong

Be strong little bro

Red

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
thanks for your support.

I could try making a deal or showing the land lord the things i make but i really dont think they would be interested! They are not very caring people, all they care about is themselves!

Its an idea to try and manage with the little i have but ive always had my freedom and this had come as a shock!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE