Why do they hoop the beaver skin ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
Hi guys, just wondering here, im sure most of you will have seen Ray Mears - American Praries. The bit he is with Jake the trapper, he skins the beaver and puts it on a steel hoop.

Now iv seen this episode quite a few times, but dunno if its just me not listening, but does he say why/what they do this for ??

cheers.

C

Chuck

All fur has to be stretched while it dries. Stretching boards keep the furs at correct proportions. Stretch to tight and the fur spreads to loose and the leather shrinks. Beaver is graded by size, fur quality, fur length, color, also leather quality among other things.

C

Chuck

Dan you weren't wrong size is a big factor. Here is a link to one of the Canadian auction houses. It a fairly large PDF(4.2m) but it will help give you a better understanding the whys of fur handling.

FUR HANDLING MANUAL

My wife and I use many of our furs to make winter for us and our children. Others are sent to auction.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE