One for Jonr

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Have you tried using your sedge yet?

I've found that the sedge makes a much neater looking basket, but cuts your hands very easily:censored: I twisted the sedge as I coiled it and then stitched through the coils to secure them.

Sedgebasket.jpg

I made my needle from Box Wood this time. Unlike the bone needles, I did not break one Box Wood needle:cool:

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Thats a neat basket! :You_Rock_ Are those sedges still fresh?

The sedges are like knives aren't they! I had to be carefull when collecting them too. The cuts are usually deep and clean.

Its great to see you are having more fun with coil baskets! There are tonnes of variations which i am going to have to try! You can even add patterns or die the fibres different colours!

:beerchug:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting - would pendulous sedge work for this? Theres a huge patch on one of my walks

Red

Thats a neat basket! :You_Rock_ Are those sedges still fresh?

The sedges are like knives aren't they! I had to be carefull when collecting them too. The cuts are usually deep and clean.

Its great to see you are having more fun with coil baskets! There are tonnes of variations which i am going to have to try! You can even add patterns or die the fibres different colours!

:beerchug:

I had dried the sedge for 5 days prior to working with them. You'll find the cuts are even worse when you start working with the stuff:eek:

Dried stems of Juncus/rush are also good to use for stitching the coils.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Kevin - I might just give that a go next time I'm down there (passed them today all in flower and this thread seemed timely)

Red

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Dont you need to dry the basket material for weeks to get rid of all the moisture? I would have thought otherwise when the moisture evaporates the basket material will shrink making your basket loose or possibly fall apart.

You will have to let us know fenlander if your sedge basket falls apart.:)

Jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE