Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I don't think anybody is being personal about him, he possibly (probably) is a nice guy. Comments I, and others, have made about him are about his TV persona and the (public) image he is trying to portray. I read his book "Facing up" and he came across as a genuinely nice guy, an adventurous, spiritual family man. This, I would guess, is probably more "him" than the pillock he portrays on his TV show.
I think the reason he has caused so much fuss, on this forum and "real" conversations, is that he sends a dangerous, silly message that extreme is good in the wilderness. A lot of people on the forum have experience or at least knowledge of various extreme sports and of being (well) outside a twenty minute ambulance response time, and can see the stupidity of his alleged actions, remember before the press "revelations" most people on here saw through the façade, what about people who don't and look up to him and try to copy his actions, which he was basically lying about anyway!

I think that says it all.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
All this seems to fit well in the general attitude in TV circles of misleading and misinforming the public , such at the BBC's phone in programmes "scandals", I think the ITVs have the same problems. Money making and ratings are what count, is seems, rather that factual reality. Even with the news, I sometimes wonder if what I hear is "real" unbiased.

I find it hard to want to dismiss Bear Grylls as a misleading git, after all, the program makers could edit the worse of his behaviour out if they wanted to, no doubt they have "advisers".. Perhaps we are wrongly shooting at the messenger here?

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I think it's a case of 'bums on seats' in the pursuit of a quick buck in the case of the TV producers or whoever put's these programmes together. For the benefit of the uneducated public who know no better. Wether it be the couch potato or the casual observer who have no knowledge or interest in survival or bushcraft. Formulated as a fast and furious MTV stylee to attract some members of the younger generation who may have a limited attention span and who's experience of emergency survival may be when the local supermarket runs out of microwavable pizza's or if he accidentally wipes his PS3 memory card!

Mr Grylls past record speaks for itself, however, the latest revelations can do nothing but harm his credibility. As long as the less knowledgable members of society approach the more knowledgable and say 'Bear Grylls did this, is it right?', we have the opportunity to say 'Step this way, now here's the deal'.

I just hope that this programme does not cause someone in a survival situation to come a cropper.

Pipistrelle

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
England (North West)
Well, I had to giggle but on reflection I guess if a tv company offered me a large sum of cash to go to hawaii staying in a five star hotel or not, seeing (or possibly visiting) places of beauty and bringing bushcraft to a wider audience....... I would jump at it.

But of course then you would read the small print and the insurance and the risk assessment and find your a part of an obvious hoax riding the bushcraft bandwagon. Do any of you out there think conspiratorially, isn't this the best way for the distribution company to
a) sell it to the tv, ..... "its a tv show involving someone chomping on raw fish etc, and piggybacking Ray's series's success while demand is high."
b) Then rather than admit that the content is rubbish, and dangerous.... discredit the whole thing by aiming at the front man, make it a farse and create controversy..... shouldn't we really be targetting the big man whose idea it was, if that was bear well he deserved his bit of slate.... if not aim at the producer.

its not the first time tv got it wrong and I am damn sure its not the last time.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
In my mind it does not matter who thought of it. Teddy still went ahead and made the program. He knew he was being misleading, staying in a hotel, claiming to do things that he clearly did not, giving extremely dangerous advice, he is not that naive to think otherwise.

If the producers asked Ray Mears, (or any other well respected expert) to show millions of people the kinds of stunts/advice shown, and to go against his training and experience do you think he would do it? No, not in a million years. Neither would I.

It has already been pointed out that show starts by stating, "I will teach you the skills too survive". That is the problem I have with the show. They are misleading the public, giving dangerous advice. There are people out there that will be silly enough to follow his advice. Shows like Jackass have a disclaimer at the start, why not this one?

It is nothing personal. He might be a nice guy, I have never met him. Would I lower myself to make such as show for the sake of making some money, no I would not. To me that says a lot.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
One of the guys i go camping with thinks bear grylls is a god or something after watching his programs, my friend also likes to take rambo style knives and ghurka knives with him and wear trainers when it's pouring rain in the camp. This is the kinda person that likes bear grylls, where ray mears actually does show you the correct way to make use of all your surroundings and turn them to your advantage bear grylls teaches us to catch snakes and eat them. I'd rather risk starving to death than getting bitten by a snake a million miles from the nearest hospital.
Saying all that though, the guy was still the youngest to climb everest and that was after breaking his back so i can forgive him for staying in hotels and bending the truth for the viewers.
It's just TV.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
I'm surprised people have used this to jump on Bear that much and put him down...

It's an aspect of the prevalent 'knocking culture', John. It's a brutal process to watch, but I think it's just a way for some to find a 'harmless' why of expressing their frustrations at things in general. What's often missed by those who have released their pent-up tension is that they have victimised someone who they don't know, which is probably a whole lot safer than victimising someone they do know...Dr Freud leaves the room :D

...i...hold him in good regard as a human being.

We need a little more of this I feel :)

Hope you make a speedy recovery, by the way, John.

This must be a new definition of successful I've never heard before......Wait a bit.....Is this a Bear Grylls definition of successful?........It must be true......

I think if John substituted 'celebrity' for 'successful' he'd be pretty much 'on the money'.

I don't think anybody is being personal about him, he possibly (probably) is a nice guy. Comments I, and others, have made about him are about his TV persona and the (public) image he is trying to portray. I read his book "Facing up" and he came across as a genuinely nice guy, an adventurous, spiritual family man. This, I would guess, is probably more "him" than the pillock he portrays on his TV show.
I think the reason he has caused so much fuss, on this forum and "real" conversations, is that he sends a dangerous, silly message that extreme is good in the wilderness. A lot of people on the forum have experience or at least knowledge of various extreme sports and of being (well) outside a twenty minute ambulance response time, and can see the stupidity of his alleged actions, remember before the press "revelations" most people on here saw through the facade, what about people who don't and look up to him and try to copy his actions, which he was basically lieing about anyway!

Very balanced post. I like!

...And at the start of each episode Bear says "I will teach you how to survive in the wild".

Now tell me again how its not presented as a "How To" guide.

I stand corrected :)

All this seems to fit well in the general attitude in TV circles of misleading and misinforming the public ,...

I can smell the coming epidemic of 'ethics' in the air…or perhaps that's the optimist in me speaking :D

...Even with the news, I sometimes wonder if what I hear is "real" unbiased...

Reality is almost totally subjective, and because of this an 'unbiased' viewpoint is virtually impossible to achieve (because of the complexities of any given situation). Acknowledging the fact that reality largely doesn’t exist and is constructed by the individual is the first step to finding some sense of peace...Wow! I knew watching all those episodes of Kung Fu, in my youth, would come in useful one day!...Grasshopper leaves the room :lmao:...I'd much rather be spending my time oiling an axe handle than trying to get the external world to conform to my internal model of reality. It's so much more satisfying, and healthier. :)

I think it's a case of 'bums on seats' in the pursuit of a quick buck in the case of the TV producers or whoever put's these programmes together... Formulated as a fast and furious MTV stylee to attract some members of the younger generation who may have a limited attention span...

Bingo, Jed! It's all about marketing of product, both to a particular section of the domestic viewing public, and making product that will appeal to, and can be sold to overseas and global satellite broadcasters.

...But of course then you would read the small print and the insurance and the risk assessment and find your a part of an obvious hoax riding the bushcraft bandwagon...

Well, the BBC’s upcoming Ultimate Outdoor Season (WAGONS ROLL!?:D ) should provide ample opportunities for more ‘barbed’ comment. Personally, I’m looking forward to the occasional gem, rather than trashing individuals who I've never met, and who are probably very nice people, if one were to share a campfire with them ;)

:grouphug:
Paul.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
We ought to have him at a moot, he sounds great fun.

and we are all old enough not to take the TV seriously, arent we?

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
And while we’re at it, let’s not forget the fois gras amuse-bouche, with tawny port (on the rocks)…enough to make a license payer’s blood boil :D

Cheers.
Paul.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
I didn't start the thread in order to 'stir' and cause arguments or bad feeling on here, so lets not get too involved or worked up, i just wanted to make people aware that there was an article in the media worthy of mentioning on bcuk.

R

RobertLB

Walt Mitty?? ...anyways Here they call the show (man versus wild) It's a load of crap, But still funny to watch..

Robert....

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
I personally look up to the guy, he has done alot and seems a genuinly nice fella, I know what he does wrong and what is stupid, I know not to do that because its mostly for TV, He is just trying to get this bad-bottom image across, yes he is Ex SAS an amazing achievment in itself and is a 3rd dan karate, and expert in various survival, jap slapping and outdoorsy stuff lol, I watch his show, and its entertaining and i have learnt a few tips from it,but if i wanted real sensible information i will watch Mears, But aside from the stupid things he does for his TV show, i dont think you guys would have a problem with him.
Ban TV all together i say! :)

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I do hate the slinging around of the "Walter Mitty" thing. Particularly when the target of the slur has previously done the business, so to speak. But, I do not like plonker behaviour particularly when using previous achievements to provide kudos.

The man was in the 'Times' again, more fakery. Apparently the crew faked a scene in a volcano by placing burning coals and having smoke generators to make the volcano look dangerous and active.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE