Ident help please!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Richie O

Jan 10, 2007
Harold Wood, Essex
Could anyone tell me what this is! I've had a look in my tree book buy can't seem to pinpoint it...

IMAGE_103.jpg

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
The colour seems a little dark. Why is it not the wild service? How big was the original bush/ tree Richie O?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Wild service tree does grow in the area Richie O is from, but the leaves on the wild service tree have more lobes and are slightly longer. Guelder rose are very easy to ID if you squeeze the fruit and then sniff your finger. You then understand why the fruit is only eaten by birds when they are starving. The berries can be processed to be a food preservative but I don't know how, they are supposedly safe to eat. Personally putting them in my mouth makes me want to throw up.

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Guelder rose are very easy to ID if you squeeze the fruit and then sniff your finger. You then understand why the fruit is only eaten by birds when they are starving. The berries can be processed to be a food preservative but I don't know how, they are supposedly safe to eat. Personally putting them in my mouth makes me want to throw up.

Found a bit more info here;

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Viburnum+opulus

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE