Mozzy bites, after the event.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hey all,

There have been plenty of posts about differing types of mozzy nets and mozzy repellent potions all with the the aim of preventing bites. I have found lots of great information and had a lot of success with various potions but what do you lot do when the little :censored: manage to get through the three layers of DEET, skin so soft and citronella? I am thinking along the lines of antihistamines and those bite stick things i see. I would prefer more natural remedies if anyone has them, just something to take down the swelling a little. :(

I manage to avoid them whilst out bushying and even managed a midgy infested Loch for 4 days with only a few small bites but this was due to potions and mozzy nets plus the fact i was mostly covered up. The problem i have is recently at home we have loads of the little darlings and besides sleeping with all of the windows shut or coating my self from head to toe everynight im at a loss :( Unfortunately i like to sleep in the starkers :eek: so i dont think ill ever be able to avoid them completely so any ideas you guys have about reducing the effects of a bite would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced all

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
OK, here's a trick my bro discovered, and it seems to work - although you need to be careful with it! A strong, localised application of heat seems to work wonders - I guess the heat denatures whatever allergen the mozzie has injected. The difficulty is getting something hot enough that isn't going to burn you... A nice fresh cup of tea or coffee in a ceramic mug seems to do the job nicely. Apply the hot mug to the affected area - this can be difficult, depending on the location of the bite ;). It should be hot enough to make you grit your teeth a bit, but not hot enough to burn. You should feel a kind of tingly itching sensation from the bite, which will build for a moment or two before dissappearing. Job done - the bite should be much less troublesome from now on.

Don't try this with a metal mug - the thermal conductivity is too high, and you will probably burn yourself.

As with all my dodgy medical advice, use this at your own risk! I am not a doctor, etc, etc...

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Ammonia is the main ingredient in a group of products referred to as Skeeter Stick, After Bite, Itch Eraser and a few others. You can use common household ammonia diluted with mineral oil. A small daub with a cotton swab works wonders.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Funnily enough, tiger balm can be used for a whole host of things such as muscular aches, sprains and bites. You just apply it to the local area and it seems to solve the problem. In the case of a head ache, a small amount rubbed into the temples works wonders. Just one thing, which I cannot work out where you are supposed to put it for:

It can help with flatulence!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Some Aussie stuff called stingoes is the best I have come across for bites and stings. Onion is meant to be good on stings as well....
Oh, I use one of those clicker thingys too, ok for a while, but you soon need to click again

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I generally use Tiger Balm, the colourless one. That's because I lived where they made it and the locals swore by it. Can't say if it does any good or not, seems to help a bit. Maybe the warm sensation of the balm replaces the itch.

Commercial "after bite" products seem to mainly have an ammonia base. I don't know if they work, I have some but never used it. Smells bad though.

I also hear, probably more folklore, that if you let the mosquito finish it's job of sucking your blood without brushing it off then it will suck most of the poison back out. Never worked for me I have to admit.

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
i use plantain ointment on bites, and someone told me that elder leaves are good for keeping mozies away. i tryed it last weekend and it seemed to work.i just crushed them up a bit and rubed them on me arms did'nt get bit after that .
has anyone herd of elder being used like that before?

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
Iv'e found vitamin B tablets help you from being bitten. You can get them from most

large supermarkets, failing that Marmite helps if you can eat it of course.

I have always suffered from insect bites for as long as i can remember and for me

both options work quite well. Insects dont like it in your blood, so they leave you alone

and bite something else. I'm not sure on the exact science involved and it might be

a placebo but it works for me!. No cure for bites you already have but prevention is

easier to live with.

Glen

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Use heat myself, tea spoon in a mug of Hot water, seems to kill the itch for a reasonable amount of time. Wouldnt recommend it to anyone else though, hurt's like hell if done properly and don't want anyone crying about it :tapedshut

i use plantain ointment on bites, and someone told me that elder leaves are good for keeping mozies away. i tryed it last weekend and it seemed to work.i just crushed them up a bit and rubed them on me arms did'nt get bit after that .
has anyone herd of elder being used like that before?

I use crushed Elder leaves and I know they were used historically.

In Sweden I used an ointment extracted from Birch bark.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Use heat myself, tea spoon in a mug of Hot water, seems to kill the itch for a reasonable amount of time. Wouldnt recommend it to anyone else though, hurt's like hell if done properly and don't want anyone crying about it :tapedshut

Ah, so it's not just me then! ;)

Lostdreamer

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2007
Wmids
Don't forget a couple of antihistamine tablets (sold in the pharmacists for hayfever).

Makes a huge difference, and works in addition to all the above mentioned options!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE