Cereal Box/Birch bark basket tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Begin by cutting your birch bark/cereal boxes into strips, by whichever method you find easiest;) .

Cuttingstrips.jpg

Decide on the size of base you want for your basket and then weave the strips together (the strips should be butted up together in one direction, with a slight gap between each strip in the other direction). To help hold the base together while working you can weave string around and tie off.

tiedbase.jpg

Then bend up the projecting strips to form the sides (birch bark is best warmed first prior to doing this).

P1030699.jpg

Make the following cuts in either end of a longer strip……

Bandjoin-1.jpg

Bandjoin-2.jpg

Then place the square tab through the triangular cut to form a band for the sides of the basket.

Bandjoined.jpg

Weave the first band around the sides of the basket, ensuring the weaves are opposite to those on the base below. Then weave a second band opposite to the previous. Continue to weave bands around the sides until your basket is the desired height. If a strip becomes to short overlap it with a new one and continue weaving.

P1030700.jpg

Continue to weave bands around the sides until your basket is the desired height (it is not important for the bands to look neat yet). Cut the ends of the strips so that they project above the top band the same width as the band itself.

P1030701.jpg

This next bit is much more difficult to describe than to actually do!

To finish off the basket you will need two long strips laid either side of the top band. From this point I will refer to the ends of the woven strips as tabs. As you work through steps 1 and 2, pull each tab to tighten the basket and pull the side bands tighter together.

1. Tuck the end of the inner strip behind one of the tabs. Take the next tab and bend over the outer strip and top band, and tuck it inside the inner strip which holds the tab in place and then tuck the inner strip behind the next tab.

P1030702.jpg

2. Take the next tab and bend over the inner strip and top band, then tuck it inside the outer strip and tuck the outer strip behind the next tab (as shown in the two pictures below).

P1030703.jpg

P1030704.jpg

Continue alternating this process until the basket is completed.

P1030705.jpg

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Wow! Top quality! Ive already asked my mum to save all the cerial boxes! Will be eating the cerials up just for the boxes now!;)

Thanks for that Tutorial! Its really great and easy to follow! Shame i dont have enough Birch bark.

Loz will be happy to see this tutorial! He was wanting me to do one but im sure you have done a better job that what i would have done!

Thanks Fenlander!

Jon

Jul 17, 2007
That birch looks the perfect thickness for crafts, is it imported from somewhere cooler or is it homegrown stuff?

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
I collected a few bits of birch bark from a downed tree at The Delamere meet last week. Not particularly big pieces but I never thought of harvesting strips of bark.

Thanks for the tutorial and the inspiration

Stu

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
With all the rain today i spent some time indoors making one of those cerial box baskets! Ive made a Birch bark one in the past but never knew how to propperly finish off the rim so it was great to see how in your tutorial Fenlander!

I am amazed at the strength of these little cerial box baskets. I am inspired to make something big. I think using card like this is a fantastic idea because normaly it would just end up in the bin. You can also test out your techniques and get to grips with basket making before using more precious materials like Birch bark.

Heres what i did today:

Jon:D

Cerial.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE