Any Woolly Pully Users Here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Hi!
Does anyone here use the Woolly Pully sweater with the patches? Any comments on using it in the outdoors? Only use it when you're around camp or immobile? Too hot on the move?
Are the chunky ones still made or they have switches to a 'flat' knitted version?
Monk

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
I still use a wooly pully , I prefer it over the "new" issue fleece
Just seems nice and cozy , and takes up little space

Still the chunky sort as far as I know

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Yeah, they are still the chunky kind.

Hard wearing, warm and practical, but I rarely wear them because it doesn't get cold enough for me.

Horses for courses, I guess I like the flexibility that a front zip of a fleece offers.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I have a green issue one, but I think it needs pockets. Love to carry stuff in pockets. :wink:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

In the start it scratches, but normally get's used to it. But I don't think it's warmer than my windbreaker fleece....! :wink: And the 'wolly pully' isn't windproof. Wind goes straight through wool. :wink:
One of the main reasons for me carrying nearly all my stuff in my shirt/fleece/jacket is, so when i'm canoeing I can just take it of and jump in the water from the canoe.
See, that's livin'.... :wave: :biggthump

Cheers :uu:

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
From experience I believe a Woolly Pully or similar HEAVY DUTY quality wool sweater has a place in your outdoor gear depending on where you are. I know once I was out and I got a bad freezing! Couldn't warm up until I put on an old woolly pully 100% wool so it is handy!
Monk

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
If those are the wool jumpers with reinforced elbows and shoulders, I also like them. My father has lots, and I don't think he's destroyed any yet (and he does use them for everything, so they would get a beating). I borrowed one this spring for camping, it was quite cold (hardly over 0°), and it kept me warm with just a T-shirt under, so I guess it's quite warm :) (and it was mostly at night, so no sun to warm me up ;-))

Their heavier than fleece, but it doesn't make much differance when you're wearing it anyway (since we don't move around much) and at least I don't mind lying down in the dirt/running through dense trees/anything else more or less clothe-killing with them, their durable enough. Plus it's fire resistant. IMO, wool's the best insulator for this sort of stuff. (I still maintain fleece is the best for sport though).

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Just to rip this thread up again for the newcomers. :wink:

I've changed my mind about my wooly pully. I use that now instead of my windbreaker fleece, as the fleece isn't very windproof at all. (even though it costed about 60£). And use it with a cotton shirt as next layer. The wooly pully is also fire resistant as Douglas pointed out. It's green also and good when one wants privacy for bushcrafting. :biggthump And of course warm! :D

-Is it me or does it let out sweat easier than the fleece? It feels like I get overheated in the fleece. :?:

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
used to use one and still have it, tend to use more layers and a swanni now as Im like radio active man and need to be able to remove a layer when needed or i over heat..... :bu:

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I like them, must more environmentally friendly too. I've been walking all over the UK now and apart from one fleece "pullover" I had (it was one of the early ones that were made from recycled cottons and nylon), the newer ones just don't last. I also tend to find some fleece is flammable (some not, not sure why). The wooly have never made a good wind break through, for that I use a westwinds ventile basha type thing, which is the best thing I have ever bought. You can also pick up nice woolies in charity shops for £2.

Greg.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I like wooly pulleys too. Especially as my wife works on the clothing at Tesco's and keepd cpming home with bargains, like a merino wool zipped pulley for £2.50 - who cares if it beige!

I like the swanni too, but I have seen the army surplus stuff for as little as 50p - bargain or what!

Any of you found that you don't feel the cold as much since taking up "the craft"?

Dave

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey All....

I have a wooly pully and love it but I too also have a swanni now and find that southern england just isn't cold enough to wear both together unless I'm sitting very still... They are very hard wearing and I think a bargin.
I do have my old issue fleece too and while it's not as warm as the pullover it is easier to get on and off so if just walking the dog I tend to use that.

All of the above is used with a windstopper layer on top...smock, gortext, pertext etc....just a light shell top as/when required.

I find after I've been out about 12 hours I start to adjust and don't feel the cold as much...then I get home and the Wife's had the woodburner on and I end up sitting round all evening in my pants and vest as it's too hot for anything else....she's all fleeced up and looking at me like I'm mad :?:

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
I had a woolly pully when I was younger. Wore it alot hunting. I dont know what ever happened to it? I to find another. I have two regular wool sweaters and love them. Usually I'll wear a button up wool shirt or cotton shirt over it to keep the wind from going through. I just got a Filson shelter cloth shirt to wear. I've had fleece in the past and I just dont like it the same as wool.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Only problem I have with wool jumpers is that I need a XXL size and my wife always manages to shrink them in the wash to about the perfect size for her by some miracle :roll: :).

I have a great fishermans chunky knit woolie I brought in St Ives a few years back. That is great when you are not moving around a lot. Only problem is that is is a bit too short now after shrinkage :cry:

Aidan

Nov 29, 2004
Yorkshire
I am very much an aficionado of the woolly pully and have worn a succession of them since I was a schoolboy. Indeed I recall buying the first one when I was 11, in imitation of one of my schoolmasters, and my liking for them just grew from there. They are unsurpassed in durability and comfort and I use them both for outdoor activities and lounging around at home (where they save me a fortune in heating bills). They are also very elegant - I love the ribbed wool and the patches - and masculine in the ebst sense of the word. I have several woolly pullies at present - Army green, Navy blue, Air Force blue, bottle green, chocolate brown, black. The Army green is my favourite followed closely by the Air Force blue, which I'm wearing as I type these words. No other sweater is a patch on the woolly pully.
Best Wishes,
Aidan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE