Making a groundsheet for my tipi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joethefish

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2006
Warwick, Midlads UK
Hi all i have recently got a bison tundra 4 tipi and love it, I am however thinking of making a groundsheet for it. My current thinking says get a big tarp (already have one) put tipi up draw inside diameter on tarp and cut it out, mainly want to do this so i can remove a section for my stove and also a section by the door so you can remove shoes etc undercover.
My plan seems overly simple and as such im worrying im missing something important. My main worry is if i dont peg the tarp/groundsheet down it will be a nightmare rucking up and moving around inside the tent.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Cheers
Joe

O

oilyrag

Could mark out the external perimeter of the tarp then attach the groundsheet to the inside of the tipi with buttons/studs etc to give the groundsheet a walled edge for extra protection from wind and rain and it'll not move about.

Joethefish

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2006
Warwick, Midlads UK
Good idea, not sure i fancy attaching studs etc to the tipi, worried about ruining it one way or another, will have a look at feasibility of this when i put it up next...
joe

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I am in the same boat, same tipi similar idea .what about that self adessive velcro to attach it to the tipi?

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Easiest way is to cut out a circle of the right diameter, plus an inch for hem. Use the rest of the tarp to make a double thickness skirt and sew it to the circle, so you end up with a paddling pool shape with six inch high double thick walls. These go inside the tent and the double thickess keeps it upright so the rain can't get in.

Round the ouside, and while you are sewing it together, put some tabs made from scraps of the tarp. Punch brass eyelets into the tabs and use these to peg the whole thing down using tent pegs.

Eric

Joethefish

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2006
Warwick, Midlads UK
Thats a good idea, will look into that although just found the price of the groundsheets from bison isnt too bad at all so may consider saving time and just adapt one of those for the stove or even get a fireproof mat and no adaption necessary.
Joe

ggfh666

Forager
Jan 16, 2006
belgium
users.pandora.be
I have a Tundra 8 with a groundsheet.

The groundsheet altough quality material has a few drawbacks in it's standard form.

It is just a cricle. You need to put it down before putting the tent up.

So we made some alterations. We made a cut form the edge to the centre going a bit further so we have space for the pole. We put velcor on either side so we can still put the thing closed.

I can also fold open at the entrance to step in the tent with dirty boots. And allows some space for a firebox.

We will also be attaching grommets around the edge to be able to peg it to the floor.
At the moment it is a bit slippery and does not stay put.

Joethefish

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2006
Warwick, Midlads UK
Ok my current thoughts are this cut big circle out using the tent when its erect for a guide trim it to allow for pole, firebox and entrance, if i can and its a big if, make a inch or so hem (probably epoxyed and stiched) around fix eyelets into the tarp with stretchy paracord type stuff attached with a hook at the other end (stolen from my now defunct eurohike tent) stretch hooks out and fasten to pegs. Job done.
Mmmmm forgot to take into account the skirt on the tipi, guessing above method will let water in to the tipi/groundsheet... back to the drawing board.. wait for a dry day to put it up and look at it again.
Joe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE