Group Buy on a Nessmuk Axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Personally, I think Cegga should make them as and when he's happy too and sell them at a price he think is deserved for the effort and skill.

I bet if he made one and put it up for £150 it would sell. When he can't shift one, he should stop making for a while.

Just my personal opinion. I love to get a bargain but it's unfair to undervalue a price.

I wonder how many people would have said £100 without having seen the previous replies? If it had started with people saying £125 is reasonable, would everyone else have agreed? I'm not trying to be derogatory, I just know that it's easy to say, "Yes, that sounds good". I do it myself.

Out of interest, how much is a Lee Reeves double? What's the waiting time?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm not saying its not yet Duncan. 10 interested already implies it might be. I wasn't having a go, its just that an acknowledged comlex design, in small numbers at a bargain price is kind of tricky ;)

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My Lee Reeves double was about a 13 month wait. It started out around $200. But international shipping, a spare helve, import duty, buying a money order (he doesn't take credit cards etc.) made it about £190 when it was all done. Lovely axe and well worth the money

Red

Gailainne

Life Member
To perhaps put it into context both I and TMKTK were prepared to pay £100 for a Cegga Red, agreed it was an auction for Karens run but still, and I dont remember what you got for your prototype Red ?

I would be interested in a double headed cegga, cost, shrug £100 to 125 seems reasonable, but at the end of the day its Ceggas call, if he decides to sell them at 150, 175 even more, I would imagine they would still sell, perhaps in not so many numbers, but sell they will, his work is too good not to.

Stephen

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Stephen - I tend to agree. I'm walking a bit of a tightrope here - I'd like to get nice gear to as many people as possible and still make sure Cegga gets a fair shake. Its a fine line!

I'm sure it'll come good though - I just feel this axe will work :D.

Red

barry

Dec 24, 2004
dingwall
hi would love one of these as i missede out on both the single bit buys would be willing to pay between £100-£150 with a bvit of notice going by the reviews on ceggas work still belive this would be a good deal indeed

FGYT said:
1 please :D up to £100 ish sounds a bargain if the Hunter i got today is any thing to go by

ATB

Duncan
as the first Post on here and the £100 marker
you will note i said it was a bargain price
which i based on Red original post hinting at double the work etc of the £40 Hunter plus a bit (pun :D )

Not what im willing to pay ;)

could be im up for £1000 but im not gonna say that
you dont walk into a shop and go up to the till and the guy say right what are you willing to pay for that lot . If you offer high you lose if you offer low he dosnt sell so you lose.

any way £100 is a bargain £200 is probably a bit steep but not by much
bearing in mind the Price of a custom Bushcraft knife :rolleyes: then again i wont pay that for one of them.

ATB

Duncan

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Red,

As I said before mate, I am interested. As for price, If you can get one made (and I can hide it from SWMBO) I''l buy it mate :D I'll just put a little aside from my redundancy money ;)

Brian

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay guys,

As Duncan says, its difficult to know - I also appreciate I'm asking how much for an axe you haven't seen yet.

I don't mind ploughing a bit of work in on a design so we;ll see how it goes from there...

I think I have an idea of a price at which it flies and a price beyond which it dies!

It'll take a good while to work something up, so leave it with me for a while!

Red

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
British Red said:
Okay guys,

As Duncan says, its difficult to know - I also appreciate I'm asking how much for an axe you haven't seen yet.

I don't mind ploughing a bit of work in on a design so we;ll see how it goes from there...

I think I have an idea of a price at which it flies and a price beyond which it dies!

It'll take a good while to work something up, so leave it with me for a while!

Red

Cheers Red, I appreciate all the hard graft you put into these things.

Eric

Chris-N

Nov 18, 2005
South West Australia
I absolutely WILL protect both the maker and the buyer. If that means saying "not viable" then I will say it. I will not have yet another bankrupt craftsmen or out of pocket customer on my consicence.

You sir are a king among men!

I'm not interested (No, thats not true, I can't afford any of these items as I'm a uni student in Australia living of welfare) but I think I may have a solution to getting a true price that is regarded as fair to both maker and buyer.

Run a poll with different price intervals of what people think is fair/maximum cost they would be WILLING to pay. Pick a common interval and have those voters "own up" and put there name to it so that actual interest is recorded.

Chris

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Come on you lot!

if it where 150 it'd be worth it.

I appreciate different people's financial situation but there are places in the world that will buy your organs you know

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
FGYT said:
bearing in mind the Price of a custom Bushcraft knife

Absolutely!

Chris-N said:
Run a poll with different price intervals of what people think is fair/maximum cost they would be WILLING to pay. Pick a common interval and have those voters "own up" and put there name to it so that actual interest is recorded.

Naah, no point. Cegga would end up losing.

If I said to you that I had something for sale for £100 but was willing to accept £75, what would you expect to pay? OK, so you could say that you would do the decent thing and pay £100 becase you really want it and wantto give a fair price but would everybody?

With a poll, I would imagine that everyone is more likely to er on the lower side of the scale.

I know I sound like the cynic but I'm trying to save work from being undervalued.

The best test would be to put some up for sale.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks for the input eand support everyone - it'll certainly get to a design stage based on the feedback and we may well make a prototype and work some costs out. Then we can check interest at a specific price which I think is the sensible way to go

Red

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
I'd be interested too, not at all sure that I could afford it mind, but considering that I just paid £135 for something that was hand made and a bit more for something else that is being made for me, the prices discussed don't seem overboard.

Thanks again for this Red. I appreciate that you enjoy it too, but for someone like me that has little expertise in this, your assistance to date has been invaluable, and I can't think of many places like this where people are as generous as they are here.

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
If it matched the cutting power of an SFA for circa the same size but a bit more weight then I'd be interested. The extra use/flexibility and dare I say sheer coolness of a Ness axe would enable me to part with £100 happily. If someone told me that it would shave the hairs off my arm I'd pay up to £150, I'm a sucker like that :)

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Blimey!

I get out from under work and log in for the first time in aeons and someone's doing a group buy on my fantasy tool...

I'll gladly cough up for one.

Not seen Cegga's work in the flesh, but from piccies and comments I'd say 100 was a bargain. I'd willingly go 150.

I could use the splitting edge to open all the tins of Aldi beans I'll be eating:yikes:

Jim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE