Camo or not Camo that is the question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which colour clothing for bushcrafting?

• Ex army camoflage

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Plain green / earth colours

Votes: 87 68.0%
  • Realtree type camoflage

• Ordinary colour walking or hiking clothes

• Anything I don't mind getting ripped or burned

Votes: 26 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

archie3

May 9, 2007
LANCASHIRE
What colour clothing do you prefer when out bushcrafting? Ex army camoflage, plain olive green / earth colours, realtree type camoflage or ordinary colour hiking / walking gear. My personal preferance is for a mix of green and camo so that I blend in with my environment but I sometime think I look like an army reject. Does anyone have any comments or views?

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
Prefer OG too. Picked up some polycotton No2 Dress shirts in Khaki, ideal for summer outings. My wife even likes them.

Miggers

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Prefer OG and subtle stuff...
Although I do have some DPM stuff which is really hard wearing, good quality and cheap... but I never go out in it due to not wanting to look like a "Army Nutter" :(

Really like my old DPM trousers, right amount of pockets, nice and warm, doesn't matter if they get ripped..... would be ok if i just got teleported in the woods with it on... having to walk there in it all would really put me off.

Same for the only decent waterproof jacket i have, DPM Goretex one. Really good and was cheap... that does usually come along with me in my sack though..... I'd never dare wear them both together tho! :)

Guess it's my fault for buying the DPM stuff a while ago anyway!

Should really say "stuff it", and wear what I want... but not that brave yet :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I used to worry about wandering about in DPM and webbing - then I thought "stuff it, who cares?" It's not like there aren't a load of people wandering about in camo for purely fashion reasons.

I prefer to avoid camo where possible, but sometimes it's just not worth the hassle or expense. I don't particularly like the camo on my Sabre45, but I did get it half price... Same goes for the PLCE kit - hunting down OG instead of DPM just wasn't worth the hassle. So I have an interesting mix of OG, DMP, and US Woodland camo...

Oh, and my favourite bushcrafting trousers are a pair of purple moleskins with OG goretex patches on the knees and backside... I dunno where those fit in the style spectrum! ;) :D

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I like OG and other muted colours. I prefer to blend in. on an outing to Tentsmuir last weekend my GF lost me after turning around for a minute.
I was only a few yards away.
I don't like bright garish colours. they're just visual pollution.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As a landscape photographer from before digital days I used to hate having bright coloured dots in my pictures of any hillside with walkers on it.

I decided long ago not to inflict my sorry self on other photographer so I wear subdued / earth colours.

If I get in trouble I have a bright orange emergency bag for visibility.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I prefer to wear green or brown normally anyway.

Occasionaly blue but a non bright blue . :cool:

I voted anything that I don't mind getting torn or burnt;don't buy anything special for messing about outdoors. :)

ggfh666

Forager
Jan 16, 2006
belgium
users.pandora.be
I just wear what I like at that moment.

But most of my clothes are not bright colors anyway.
Most black stuff.
And some green.

Wildlife gets more scared from the noise you make than the colors you wear I've noticed.

Lee_shanahan

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2007
South Wales
I prefer to wear olive green trousers and plain hooded top, but when it gets could i put on my army camo jacket which i like because of the amount of pockets for storage.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Years ago I would have worn moleskins and wax cotton for fieldsports in greens/browns. I then bought a lot of realtree stuff, mainly because some of the best materials (quiet, waterproof, breathable) for deerstalking were produced in realtree. Recently bough a Swandri Ranger in olive/brown check and at 20 metres plus this is as good as any camo, indeed the detail on realtree is lost and pointless after a few metres.
So any muted tones for me, it is getting wind direction correct and keeping still that count.
But you'll never see me in a red Berghaus!

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Dougster said:
I'd have to emphasise earth colours OVER green. Coyote seems better for me - now I just want a Ventile jacket in it - HENS TEETH are far more common. :sigh:
Interesting point. From a camo perspective, if we are hunting mainly autumn - early spring and spend most time on woodland floor or against leafless trees then browns are better.
Look at prey species - deer, rabbit, hare, - they are shades of brown/grey.
Have you ever seen a green rabbit???
Obviously summer (full leaf) is different.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE