Response Pak show and tell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Gailainne said:
Ask, and yea shall recieve

CIMG0003-2.jpg

More than slightly inebriated

Stephen

You taking up knitting then Stephen?

Eric

nooky

Nomad
Oct 26, 2005
Watton, Norfolk
Wayland said:
Main compartment. Clockwise from top left.

Trowel for shovel recce. Gaffa tape, plastic bags, Waylands bug stuff, Paracord and assorted string, thonging, split rings etc. Smaller blister kit in pocketable pouch. WD40 pen and rags, Ball of twine. Sharpening strop for Carvin Jack, stropping paste, peice of rubber inner tube, Star chart and sun position tables, Waterproof matchcase with compass on small dry bag containing mixture of tinders, BBQ fire lighting blocks.
QUOTE]

Silly question time.
What are the split rings used for?
What is the WD40 pen and rags used for? All I could think (apart from lubing your knife) was as a fire starter (is WD40 flammable?)
Great thread I have now got my response pack and starting to stock it.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Split rings are great repair items, for example replacing broken buckles, joining chains and the like. They're also useful for all the normal things that split rings are made for, ie. keyrings etc.

The WD40 is good for rust prevention on some of my steel blades such as the Carvin Jack and not messy to carry around. It's also helped out a few times with things like seized metal fittings and joints etc.

The rags are useful in connection with WD40 and wrapped around the container prevent any leaks ( which I've not had so far ) spreading top other items.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I like those pegs Stephen, they look like they will do the job in a pine needle covered floor. I must admit, my first thoughts were "Where are you going bushcrafting, Transylvania?!!" but they do look good once you get past the stake in the heart thing!! :p

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm going from memory here, but I'm sure the clips you have, Wayland, are the same as the Alpkit ones. They look it to m anyway. Do you think that they are manufactured by one company and then other companies just add their name to it?

Gailainne

Life Member
The only way to test that is to bang on the weight till they go pop, and they are never going to be on anything sensitive enough to warrant that.

Heres a couple of photos side by side,

CIMG0007-1.jpg

And a crap closeup, bonus next month :D I feel a decent DSLR is in my future.

CIMG0009-1.jpg

They look and feel identical, too light to weigh on my kitchen scales, only difference I can see is the hook the spring clip fits into is more rounded on the alpkit, so may may indeed be a copy.

The pegs I have nothing to gauge them against, they feel light to me, doubt very much if they would float...but they're bright red and have a lanyard ;), weighed one its 40 grams approx

BTW Spam are these new age Vampires that are only killed by aluminium :cool:

Stephen

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Robotic vampires obviously, haven't you read Judge Dredd? They keep the last President of the USA alive by taking blood from people in the cursed earth! Good story that one!

Back on topic though, the clips look identical, they must be made by the same company.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
It looks like "Ningbo Hongtang Huichuang Hardware Factory" are the manufacturers of the oddities range..

http://nbhcwj.en.alibaba.com/

Seem todo all the funny shapes 'biners & bottle openers with custom logos.

They must have a massive markup....

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Wayland said:
That's amazing... How did you manage to track that down?

It must have been like a needle in a haystack...

Guessed they were made in Japan / China.
Googled on "japan carabiner manufacturer" and hit #2 found the fish shaped 'biners :D

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
spamel said:
Robotic vampires obviously, haven't you read Judge Dredd? They keep the last President of the USA alive by taking blood from people in the cursed earth! Good story that one!

Back on topic though, the clips look identical, they must be made by the same company.

Ah but they've popped their clogs ... Judge Renga took out the trio recently...

Back on topic, there are some stainless steel clips in Lidls as well as some pretty solid 8mm line...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Gailainne said:
The only way to test that is to bang on the weight till they go pop, and they are never going to be on anything sensitive enough to warrant that.

<Snip>

The pegs I have nothing to gauge them against, they feel light to me, doubt very much if they would float...but they're bright red and have a lanyard ;), weighed one its 40 grams approx

BTW Spam are these new age Vampires that are only killed by aluminium :cool:

Stephen

I'm not worried about the clips I think they are a good find at that price but the Easton pegs weigh in at 13g so the Alpkit ones are three times the weight which bugged me a bit.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Wayland said:
I'm not worried about the clips I think they are a good find at that price but the Easton pegs weigh in at 13g so the Alpkit ones are three times the weight which bugged me a bit.

On the other hand being solid should be somewhat stronger.
I think even if I was aiming at going somewhat ultralight I'd probably like to have 1 of the Alpkit stakes with the Easton ones, to use as a primary drive stake, incase they hit a large rock or similar. Mind you a large nail of slightly smaller diameter would probably do that job just as well.

Gailainne

Life Member
Wayland said:
Easton pegs weigh in at 13g
agreed but I got 6 for a fiver, 3 quid per seems a bit much for a tent peg, shrug at the end of the day, as you well know, you pays your money and you make your choice. :lmao: last time I was out and about I made some up from the local debris, in about 2 mins.

I did find a company that supplied those glow in the dark fibreglass ones, I thought they were very worth while.

Like many of your, and others "little touches" at their campsites at Delamere, I will be copying them, not because they've done it I have to, but because it works well, and more importantly tried and tested by people I am beginning to trust, know what they are doing.

Its the same with kit, theres a thread about that here somewhere, why find out the hard way when ppl here have already put the effort in and know what kit works and what does'nt. I would imagine that was the whole point of Spamel starting this thread, learn from your peers, on this forum at least you get good advice.

I'm afraid I've been at the San Miguel again :eek: shrug its friday and its been a ****ty week.

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE