Tipi - boat gone, at the dock still..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
...So, what I really should have done is jumped on the BCUK/SoTP tipi group buy, but I didn't! :rolleyes:

I really fancy a tipi - big enough to sleep four with kit too. Probably in polycotton, deffo with a floor. So, what makes should I be looking at (forget the Millets one!) and what kinda price am I looking at? Should I be seriously thinking of importing one from Noggin land? :D

I guess this thread could alternatly be called - Teach me about Tipis and where can I get a good 'un cheaply. :eek:

TIA,

Rich.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
You can order direct from Bison - I ordered a Tundra 4 and ground sheet after the group buy had closed. I sent an email to Vidar and he got back very quickly in English then phoned me for my card details. All arrived a week later and no 'extra' charges. Worked out about the same as the group buy. The contact details are on the group buy link.

I have been very pleased with mine it is bomb proof and I can recommend them.

email - vidar@beaver.no

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
weekend_warrior said:
...So, what I really should have done is jumped on the BCUK/SoTP tipi group buy, but I didn't! :rolleyes:

I really fancy a tipi - big enough to sleep four with kit too. Probably in polycotton, deffo with a floor. So, what makes should I be looking at (forget the Millets one!) and what kinda price am I looking at? Should I be seriously thinking of importing one from Noggin land? :D

I guess this thread could alternatly be called - Teach me about Tipis and where can I get a good 'un cheaply. :eek:

TIA,

Rich.

I have a mate over in Norway who is looking at various tipi options, at the moment, it looks about 30% cheaper than UK prices, the tent will come marked as a 'Present, value £15' through the post.

ggfh666

Forager
Jan 16, 2006
belgium
users.pandora.be
I have a Tundra 8.

Did a serious test few weekends back.
Setup: bloody easy with 1 person. (less than 10 minutes for full config)
Take down: just as easy.
Package : it is big and heavy. Car/canoe is a indispensible option.
Weather resistance: we had a serious thunder/hail storm and hours of pooring rain and moderately heavy winds. Not the slightest drop of moisture inside. Once the weather clears out it dries fairly quick.
Groundsheet: basic circle. Needs to be put under pole. Does not stay put. Will need to adapt: eyelets to fix it to the floor, Cut to fold around pole, allow firebox.
Condensation: no innertent, at night the inside gets slightly humid at the touch, but no dripping.
Heat: in the sun it gets hot, even with top removed. In the evening it cools much faster than any other tent I have used.

I also put a piece of plank under the pole, as with my first attempt it sank 20 cms into the wet ground.

All in all very good value for money. I ordered direct from Bison.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I had the tinde 16... if you want room for everything... and I do mean everything... small towns, motorways and the odd county, it's brilliant.

For me though, tentipi has nicer features and that's what I'd go with now... and I have done :D

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Squidders said:
I had the tinde 16... if you want room for everything... and I do mean everything... small towns, motorways and the odd county, it's brilliant.

For me though, tentipi has nicer features and that's what I'd go with now... and I have done :D

Out of interest, which tentipi did you get?

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
As i only plan to use a tipi occasionally I went with the Bison Tundra 4, I do agree with Squidders though that the tentipi range are a lot fancier with some gucci features.

I find the tundra 4 with the stove in there too plenty big enough for a few people and kit for an extended weekend.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
andyn said:
As i only plan to use a tipi occasionally I went with the Bison Tundra 4, I do agree with Squidders though that the tentipi range are a lot fancier with some gucci features.

I find the tundra 4 with the stove in there too plenty big enough for a few people and kit for an extended weekend.

Big enough for a family of four (2 adults, 2 kids) plus kit? I wanna use this (excuse!!!) for weekend trips with the family too.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I got the vagge 7 with a floor... packs tiny and is a good size. It's the most basic of the range but still get nice. Having owned both, I prefer the tentipi but only slightly.

ggfh666

Forager
Jan 16, 2006
belgium
users.pandora.be
weekend_warrior said:
Big enough for a family of four (2 adults, 2 kids) plus kit? I wanna use this (excuse!!!) for weekend trips with the family too.

I'd go 8 then.
2 person can sleep side by side. So you would need 1:2 the tent for sleeping 4. You can use the rest for material, table and chairs and entrance.

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
Has anyone used the Tundra 4 for 4 people? (Well 2 adults and 2 kids actually)

I'm looking at this option for short trips (weekends) for the four of us and with a stove I have for solo use (week plus from the canoe) and would be grateful for any real life feedback.

Thanks.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
The easy way to calculate if you'll have enough room would be to stick a peg in the ground and using some string the radius of the tipi, mark out the area you would have... think about the height available as about a foor from the edge is unusable unless you want things leaning against the fabric.

For 2 adults and 2 kids + gear and a small stove/firebox, I would say 8 man. In reality, there is little change in the pack size and weight. I'm a big fan of the US style camp cots £20 from Argos as while they are a pain to carry anywhere, they give you somewhere very comfy to sleep and give room under them for storage.

Hope this helps,

Joe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE