The "Red Hunters Axe" by Cegga - second group buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi
mine arrived this morning I can only second what everyone else has said so far cracking bit of kit. I hope to put it to use at the weekend and will report my findings which I am sure will reflect what a superb tool it looks
thanks Red and most of all Cegga for forging these axes
Chas :You_Rock_

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
My mini axe arrived this morning and I am so pleased with it I can't put it down. It fits my hand like an extension to my arm an is so comfortable to wield. I suspect this one will become my carving user.

Many thanks Red and Cegga for making an old man very happy. :You_Rock_

Eric

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Im pleased yu are all pleased. I just got in and mine was waiting for me.

I think the slightly finer grind is an improvement too - as always it'll get honed to silly sharp but is pretty good out of the box.

Glad you liked the mini Eric - something unusual anyway!

Red

Gailainne

Life Member
BR
You gonna do a tutorial on axe sharpening, I seem to remember you threatening to do that a while ago ;) It would be good to learn how to get Ceggas creation hair popping sharp. (A tut on your Cegga would be even better :D )

Regards

Stephen

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I had a call this morning from SWMBO saying a box had arrived for me from Cegga...But that was just before 8am and I had to wait all day to open the box...

Thanks to Cegga and to Red for this great bit of kit, if I wore one I would take my hat of to you both.

LS

.Dai.

Jan 28, 2006
Pembrokeshire, S W Wales
Mine arrived safe and sound today aswell. It's a nicely crafted piece and feels like it will fit the bill perfectly :)

A big thanks to those involved in this project :You_Rock_

Rgds,

Dai

S

shaunmcdonald

Just got back from a weekend away and expected a "We tried to deliver " Note from the postie :( But there wasnt one so hopefully SWMBO will take it in tomorrow while im at work. I Cant wait............

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I hope small and light is good Duncan ?

If its not what you want I know a few people who will take it off you!

Red

British Red said:
I hope small and light is good Duncan ?

If its not what you want I know a few people who will take it off you!

Red

im sure it is as ive said ive never use an axe for bushcraft/ survival a Kukri is my usual choice (whicjh is bigger and heavier than the axe :D )

but i thought i would give it a go and this seems to be the recommended :D choice/Size etc
Plus im a sucker for Handmade craftsmanship (know what i mean ;) )

they can try n take it off me but it may get a bit messy

whens the Double bit due ;)

see dinky aint it
Axe.jpg

here next to my Kuk and grandads Helle Bard which ive just got hold of and must be 40yrs old ish

Axeknife.jpg

ATB

Duncan

PS i like Ceggas little card nice touch

S

shaunmcdonald

When i got home from work today it was waiting for me :)

It is a Beautiful thing i have to say. Much better than i had ever imagined it could be and as my 1st real axe i am really glad and proud to have had the chance to have one. :D

Thanks Red and Cegga :You_Rock_ for making this possible and i will no-doubt post some follow ups from when it gets used.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad they are all there guys!

(by gum you have big mitts Dunc) :D

40cm long, 650gms mate - much nicer than lugging another kilo!

As for future models...when Cegga and I are happy with them - theres no rush.

There will be some more of these in the future although most of the next batch are promised to be offered elsewhere (I have put all the first two runs here so fair's fair). We'll probably do 5 batches in total or thereabouts before it gets too dull.

I'm not getting into what the next one will be - please don't assume the next one will be a double bit though - we may do one in the future but not necessarily next - doubles are very expensive to do (more metal, two bevels to grind, hard to helve etc.). Effectively the effort doubles and materials become all custom (helves etc.). The cost would be quite a bit more than the Reds Hunter and I want people to feel that they are getting real value when they get a group buy from me. At £40 for the Hunter they are getting a single, craftsmen made axe for around the price of a wildlife hatchet (actually the better straight grain helve alone is worth any extra). I'd love to do a real cruiser (Nessmuk) - 18" helve and 750g head with a differential grind and offer it here. Sadly I'm just not sure it would sell in the right amounts to make it worth Ceggas time.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE