Folding bikes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Hi,

I'm interested in buying a folding bike. So I can more easily travel to forests using train/bus and then cycle further, as I don't want nor have a car. Anyone got experience with folding bikes and is able to recommend one?

I'd want lights on it, mudguards, about 3 vitessess inside of the wheel, and I want to be able to carry quite much on it.... and drive comfortably sitting up (183cm high).

I've seen the brompton bikes looking quite much how I'd want it, but there must be other less expensive bikes I guess.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
there are lots of folding bikes on the market ranging from cheap & heavy supermarket junk to high quality handmade bikes - it´s mainly a matter of your priorities: you´ll get what you pay.
Airnimal, Bike Friday, Brompton, Dahon, R&M Birdy, Moulton etc.
www.bromptonauten.de/konkurrenz1.html has more infos & links on different types

Out of personal experience I wouldn´t use a bike with tires smaller than 20"

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Brompton's are expensive but in my view they offer two major advantages a) the very small folded size and b) a really excellent front luggage system with up to 28l capacity. They are well engineered and tough. I have one which I use in fairer weather for commuting and like it very much. It gets folded twice on each journey, has been bashed about quite a bit for about 3 years now, and has stood up well. Highly recommended and I'd say good value despite the price.

Chris

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
JohnC said:
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/s_s.shtml
I have heard of this system for breaking down an existing bike into a folder...
I've seen them been used on a tandom so I would gues they're fairly strong

I'd think standard folding bikes would have a very limited off road capability, I have used my MTB for taking large loads off road so it's quite possible to do a bushcraft trip with one, just get some good panniers

paulcd

Tenderfoot
I have my folding Swiss Bike! Very swish looking, big knobbly tyres for all that mud and the hills, good components...have yet to work it with panniers and a quick release carrier, so that I can take all that extra kit that we like to take, on the train without paying extra for the bike or finding myself banned from the train because I didn't have a ticket for the bike, because it all fits into a bag!
Will post photos if I can work out how to do it on this forum :)

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
That swiss bike looks like it's really tough n strong even if it can fold, super. Not too high price either.. Does it go well to put on a rack on the back wheel Paulcd? How do you like it?

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I have my folding Swiss Bike! Very swish looking, big knobbly tyres for all that mud and the hills, good components...have yet to work it with panniers and a quick release carrier, so that I can take all that extra kit that we like to take, on the train without paying extra for the bike or finding myself banned from the train because I didn't have a ticket for the bike, because it all fits into a bag!
Will post photos if I can work out how to do it on this forum :)

Hey, just saw there's a crack in my bike's frame and also saw the swissbike in a bikeshop here for 790 € .. looks tempting, but how do you like the swissbike? Can you put on some racks and still fold it?

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
Check out the folders by American company 'Bike Friday' (they've a website). They do tourers and roadies.

There's a model called the 'Tikit' which folds in about 5 seconds - there's a youtube video showing the action and it's pretty amazing.

I'm thinking about getting the 'Seasons' model which folds in about 30 seconds.

They seem to get awesome reviews.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE