Alternative to DEET that works!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
We were discussing insect repellent on the First Aid course at the weekend and I remembered that there is an insect repellent that is considered to be as good as DEET but without the scary melts-plastic effects.

I've done a search and found the name - it is Picaridin and was developed by Bayer, there is more info here

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
For my money, nothing beats DEET. Of all the bug-repellent products on the market I'm still a firm believer in it. A law was passed in Canada a few years ago banning all products over something crazy like 20%, but I still have a few bottles of 100% spray that I bought before the law came into effect. Regardless, the military still uses the 100% stuff. It's great for fire starters and I even filled up my Zippo with it while taking a survival course.

Adam

Post Script: Don't fill up a lighter with bug juice. It works for a while, but then destroys the wick. Live and learn!

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
addyb said:
For my money, nothing beats DEET. Of all the bug-repellent products on the market I'm still a firm believer in it. Regardless, the military still uses the 100% stuff.

Sorry mate but the military long ago switched to the timed release DEET (which is just over 30% DEET, 3M Ultrathon is the retail trade name).

The Picaridin that I reference in the first post is as good, everything else is anecdotal.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I seem to remember reading that peoples sweat differs, as does their CO2 output, both of which attract biting things. The answer is to use what works best for you. I think I must have tried everying over the years and, for me, nothing comes close to Avon Skin So Soft. I think DEET is scary stuff. Give the Avon a try, you'll also smell better for your friends! :lmao:

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Neem oil is fantastic stuff in my opinion. I tried it for pest control on plants.

It is being used in cosmetics.

In India the twigs of the tree are being used to clean the teeth. For more than 2000 years it is being used in grain storage silo's to keep away the insects. It is being tested tor thousands of years basicly!

Up till now there is no insect that has become resistant to it. Tests have been done with potato beetles (which are really hard to get rid of.) Those tests showed that even these beetles leave the plants alone.

If you have a neem tree in your garden you will certainly have a lot less insects around. I have done quite some research on it. Just Google on it and try to separate the pro-lobby and anti-lobby on the subject. I am convinced. The only reason I use DEET is because it is easier to come by.

Lush

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
pteron said:
Sorry mate but the military long ago switched to the timed release DEET (which is just over 30% DEET, 3M Ultrathon is the retail trade name).

The Picaridin that I reference in the first post is as good, everything else is anecdotal.

Really? Over here, the CF still has the 100% stuff. Different country though!

stoneraven

Dec 14, 2006
Canada
Skin so soft is useless. Years ago I tried a controlled test in the boreal forest of northern Alberta. After geting dropped off in the muskeg by helicopter, I used one arm with skin so soft and the other with deet. Needless to say I was putting on deet on the skin so soft arm within minutes after the downwash of the helicopter blades was gone. Since then I only use the bottle of skin so soft to remove sticky residue from labels on plastic.

You don't have to slather the stuff on either. As a field biologist for over twenty years, I have seen numerous newbies melt pencils, gps, etc. Put a little on the back of one hand. Rub the backs of the hands together, then use the backs of the hands to wipe the face, back of neck and ears. I am assuming the rest of you is covered (i.e. long sleeve shirts and pants.). This saves on the equipment cause it not in your hands.

Thre have been a few days where bug jackets are the only way to keep your sanity.

I don't know what kind of critters you guys run into, but in northern Canada they can be ferocious.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
I agree. Cold Lake Alberta in the middle of August, or anywhere in Manitoba for that matter.....I don't even want to get into how bad the bugs are. I've tried numerous bug repellent products over the years and from my experience, nothing and I mean NOTHING beats DEET. Sure, the 100% stuff will melt plastic, strip paint off of axe handles and burn synthetic clothing but if you keep it on your skin and nowhere else you'll do just fine.

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE