Norway here i come

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Just spent the last 8 hrs trawling around the net deciding where to go in september for a two week trip. Norways been calling me for a long time now but have never been able to pin down precisly where i want to go (i'm sure it's all good though).
The wish list includes:
large forest area's
small rivers and lakes for fishing
easy access (hey it's a big country)
and total isolation
Not much to ask for?
Looked at the ovre dividal before and it looked good so searched around and found a small town called innset/indset out in the sticks, closest airport 45km's away called Bardufoss(?), military base according to google earth that has a daily (almost) flight in from oslo. Now i'm thinking it seems theres lot's of greenery and blue blobs to the west of the airport, maybe that deserves closer inspection? save wear and tear on the national park :rant:
My ever good lady's paying for the flight for my birthday (£120 to oslo and then £157 to bardufoss rtn's) so thats all good then :notworthy
Now to rally the troops, ones a cert the others not sure, so if any body fancies 2weeks in the sticks on the second and third weeks of september feel free to p.m me.
Back to the planning :sulkoff:

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Sickboy said:
Now to rally the troops, ones a cert the others not sure, so if any body fancies 2weeks in the sticks on the second and third weeks of september feel free to p.m me.
I can imagine this being a fantastic trip and I would think so many people on here would be tempted by this lol

Have a great time and dont forget to take some pictures.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Sickboy said:
Just spent the last 8 hrs trawling around the net deciding where to go in september for a two week trip. Norways been calling me for a long time now but have never been able to pin down precisly where i want to go (i'm sure it's all good though).
The wish list includes:
large forest area's
small rivers and lakes for fishing
easy access (hey it's a big country)
and total isolation
Not much to ask for?
Looked at the ovre dividal before and it looked good so searched around and found a small town called innset/indset out in the sticks, closest airport 45km's away called Bardufoss(?), military base according to google earth that has a daily (almost) flight in from oslo. Now i'm thinking it seems theres lot's of greenery and blue blobs to the east of the airport, maybe that deserves closer inspection? save wear and tear on the national park :rant:
My ever good lady's paying for the flight for my birthday (£120 to oslo and then £157 to bardufoss rtn's) so thats all good then :notworthy

I spent military service close to Bardufoss. It's very beautiful, but cold in winter and lots of moskitos and midges in summer.

It should definately be possible to get far off the common beaten track there. But there are many other places too.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I too spent time in and around Bardufoss with the the Army (Based at the airport funnily enough:rolleyes: ), like Torjusg said it is a very beautiful place I was only there in winter and it was cold but I it was a mild winter that year (1998) so wasn't extreme.

I hope you have a brilliant time, I wish I could go back but unfortunately not this year!

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
The above is so true it makes me feel sick inside :(
The right to roam act really doesnt come close to Norways :nana:
Anybody know what the best map/s for the area are? Looking at the Turcart 1:100 000 series yesterday but stamfords didnt have he correct one, any others to have a look at?
Thanks all :grouphug:

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Sickboy said:
The above is so true it makes me feel sick inside :(
The right to roam act really doesnt come close to Norways :nana:
Anybody know what the best map/s for the area are? Looking at the Turcart 1:100 000 series yesterday but stamfords didnt have he correct one, any others to have a look at?
Thanks all :grouphug:

PM Chris Claycomb. He found a place to get these maps in the UK. 1:100 000 isn't really detailed enough in my opinion. Go no smaller than 1:50 000.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Do they do 1:50 000 for that area? Need to get it before i leave (hey it's a while away) as i'll bet they won't have them anywhere close at the other end :(
Also work are being cagey about giving me the time off when i want it, will the first two weeks of october be much worse or more of a gamble on the weather front?
Thanks for the help people :You_Rock_

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
To call Innset a town is to strech it a little far :) . I presume you refere to the place on the road to the lake Altevatn, southeast of Setermoen.
The blue blob west of Andselv (Bardufoss) is Andsvatnet.
The area of Bardu and Målselv has much area for bushcrafting, but much of the area is military training grounds.
I believe the area in the east is the best (most remote), and the area from Innset and eastward (Altevatn) I believe would be very nice, allthough I haven`t been there.
I`m more familiar with the area around Dividalen as I`ve been there several times.
The picture below is from Dividalen. It is the Dividal river carving its way trough the rock.

e9f8b575.jpg

Hope you have a real good time in the norwegian forests of Troms county.

Tor Helge

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Thanks Tor helge,
O'k, maybe a hamlet :D
Looks stunning, really good photo :You_Rock_
Is there any way of knowing where the military areas are and are they totally off limits like the ones in the U.K? :buttkick:
Thanks again

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Sickboy said:
Thanks Tor helge,
O'k, maybe a hamlet :D
Looks stunning, really good photo :You_Rock_
Is there any way of knowing where the military areas are and are they totally off limits like the ones in the U.K? :buttkick:
Thanks again

If I remember correctly the "totally off limit" areas are marked on the M711 series(old name) 1:50000 maps and also in the terrain.
These maps could be bought in most sports or book stores.

Tor Helge

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Think i'll get get a 1:100 000 to be going on with and try and find a 1:50 000 at the other end, many shops in Bardufoss? :lmao:
If anybody can tell me what the average October weathers like in the area that would be great, as there's not a chance of getting two weeks off in september but 3 weeks in october maybe do-able :eek: What are the chances of getting a early fall of the white stuff or more importantly what will the fishing be like :rolleyes:

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Sickboy said:
Think i'll get get a 1:100 000 to be going on with and try and find a 1:50 000 at the other end, many shops in Bardufoss? :lmao:
If anybody can tell me what the average October weathers like in the area that would be great, as there's not a chance of getting two weeks off in september but 3 weeks in october maybe do-able :eek: What are the chances of getting a early fall of the white stuff or more importantly what will the fishing be like :rolleyes:

The fishing should be better in September, but still acceptable in October. Some places you can fish with nets with special fishing licences. Then October will be very good.

When I was there there was occationally snow in October and mostly frost in the mornings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE