Need some advice about the correct tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Hi all I was looking at the brilliant knife and sheath tutorial Link and I've got a few questions to ask you about the tools that he used for the sheath.

Does anyone know what size the tools he was useing were or what the best sizes for making a sheath are:

Edge beveller what number was it 1,2 or 3.
Stitchgrover small or large.
Overstitch wheel size 5, 6 or 7.

As well as that are these all the tools I will need from Le Prevo to make a decent attempt at leatherwork?

Stitch groover.
Overstitch wheel.
Size 4 needles.
Adjustable stitch groover.
Edge beveller.

I know it was a while ago but it would really help to get this information as it will save me buying the wrong bits.

Thanks for any help you can give me

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Size 2 beveller is a good all-round choice; I use whatever stitch groover is handy; overstitch wheel - well, for starting off, I'd probably advocate a 5 (less sewing). It's appropriate to heavier-use goods, which a knife sheath probably will be.

The standard Tandy-style stitch groovers are adjustable, but you need a screwdriver to do it. I have 2 that stay set in position; I also have one of the adjustable ones that sees next to no use.

Get some beeswax for the thread too... And some thread (18/3 linen, for example).

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
As E-spy says, a #2 edge bevel is the best all-rounder to have in my opinion. If your thread is not already waxed then beeswax isa must for that (Run the thread through the wax and make sure to get plenty on. Any excess will soon wear off as you stitch ;) )

The best adjustable groover I've found is the one I bought from Attleborough Accessories. It does a neat job and can be adjusted by hand rather than needing a fiddly little screwdriver.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Well done MitchellHicks, i've been wanting this same info on best all round sizes as i dont want to buy anything unnecessarily.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Thanks guys I'll try and get some money together to buy some leather and then I should be away I'll post some photos when I do get round to it.

Thanks for the help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE