The Outdoors show at Birmingham NEC ft Ray Mears and others

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Batfink said:
Just got back. Wasn't massively impressed - infact, probably worser than last year. BorderReiver's summary above was pretty damn accurate I'm afraid. :(

I think I'll be giving it a miss next year.

I went yesterday.

I won't be back. :(

Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
wont be going next year!! poorly organised, look really good on the website and sounded they knew what they were doing! AND FOR THE LAST TIME, NO I BLOODY DONT WANT TO GO TO CYPRUS OR WANT A F***N CREDIT CARD hahahahaha :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I have been reading the posts here and waiting for the inevitable dissapointment.
I have taken the two youngest children for the last three years with their friends. It has been getting progressively worse, sadly, as it really was good once. The organisers really do need a wake-up call on quality, innovation and interest.
We deliberately gave it a miss this year and won't bother in the future. :(
Swyn.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Have to echo the comments here - thought it was badly organised, and whilst there were a few good stands and talks it's not worth it for the money and the travel distance in my opinion. Website was pretty useless as well.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Ray's lecture was great, really inspirational and there were a few laughs in as well so I think it was worth it just for that. The key to getting a ticket seemed to be; get there early (we walked into the place at 8:15 and so were quite near to the front at 9am opening).

The next step was to leg it down to the ticket office at the far end straight away. Then go queue at the theatre straight away to get decent seats (we managed to get on the 6th row centre.

The other lecture I watched was the rock climing base jumper Tim Emmett which was pretty exciting. That guy must be super fit to hang off rocks the way he did and also mad as a box of frogs to jump off them.

The 'show' itself was quite disappointing really - where are all the freebies damn it? I came away with 2 Garmin necklace with a hook things for the kids and a pen :rolleyes: Oh and sampled the organic lager :p

Will I go next year? Depends who and what's on and the kids want to try it but at least I know what to expect.

T

TimB

Matt, Millets sell coleman fuel which is fine in the MSR.

I hear that appart from the lectures there was very little of real good stuff there... ?

Perhaps we need "The real outdoors show..." ;)

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Matthew.Passmore said:
Did you see the Royal Marines hand to hand combat demonstration?

That was brilliant, they were really kicking the lights out of each other.

I was on the upper level when it was on and heard the music blaring. As I looked over I saw one chap with a club jumping about so said to my mate 'come on, there are some blokes hitting each other with big sticks over there', but when we made our way over I found the crowds were about 10 deep and we couldn't really see :(

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
We got there at 8.40, got usher to the "ticket holders" holding area. When the doors opened they tried to divide the "internet" ticket holders from the other ticket holders with no success.
We then legged it to the back of the hall to join the already enormous queue for the lecture tickets, surrounded by people moaning about the bad organisation. After about 3 minutes a bloke with a radio and a badge walked along the queue to tell us "No more Ray Mears tickets, come back later for the other speakers.
To say that Step-son was dissapointed would be an understatement!!
Rest of the show was pretty much as expected, lots of what were basically holiday firms touting for clients.
Did manage to get good prices on my favourite Craghopper trousers, but most stalls were high street prices or worse.
We will not be going again for a very long time, if ever.

Another major gripe for me was the £7.00 charge for the car park. When I got to the NEC for engineering shows etc both car parking and admission are usually free.

Bit of a crock really!

Dave

Basha72

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
Torbay
Well. It was the first trip to the show for me, and I guess it will be the last, as other than the Ray Talk, the rest was no different than walking down the high street and going to hiking shops etc etc, that's if your into those shops lol.

There were a few stalls that took may fancy, but other than 1 " bushcraft stand" nothing really that was along the lines of wilderness/Bushcraft/Survival.

I bought a Gransfors wildlife hatchet so the trip was not a total waste. Someone stole an axe from the nordic stall !!

Basha72

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE