Cold weather top

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JungleJim

Mar 2, 2007
Birmingham
I'm trying to decide on a smock/jacket that can be worn on its own and possibly inside a sleeping bag in extremely cold weather.

First decision is pile or insulated filling?

I'm looking at:

Snugpak Softie Shirt / Pile Shirt
Montane Extreme Smock
Snugpak Sleeka Jkt

Thoughts, experiences?

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I'd concur with WW, Buffalo Special 6 or mountain shirt (same construction material, different cut) although i'd probably have the Snugpak Sleeka for colder weather.

so, Buffalo if you are being active or for milder (!) cold, Snugpak Sleeka for inactivity. Though saying that, you probably find it too warm in your sleeping bag (obviously depends on your bag).

Hope that helps. ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I got issued a Softie style jacket and trousers set, I am seriously considering keeping it when I hand my kit in as it is a great bit of kit. If I find myself getting cold in my sleeping bag, I throw the jacket and trousers on and I'm warm in no time. I sleep very cold due to the fact that I am about 10 stone when wet!

E

eddie brann

extreameoutdoor clothing the field smock is brilliant very warm have used mine on exercise in the brecon beacons / dartmoor /bodminmoor etc but in side a sleeping bag i use a narvik shirt very soft and cumfy and just the right amount of warmth.

david1317

Feb 2, 2007
glasgow
hi i have the montane extreme smock and love it its nice and warm breaths well i payed £56 for mine the buffalo is about £100 and if you want ahood thats another £20 the montane comes with a hood

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Jim,

I've got a Montane extreme smock, as David said, it comes with a hood which is a bonus. I like it but it is a very warm top, I actually like it more than the Buffalo (had a special 6 for about 8 years). It depends on what you are going to use it for, if I've been on the go for a while and I'm not stopping for long, to have a brew for instance, I put on my Nanok insulated jacket and than stuff it back in it's waterproof sack when I get going again. If I'm stopping for a long time I strip down and put my extreme smock on next to my skin, where it belongs. Have you tried any of the jackets yet, that may help you decide mate, hope that helps.

Brian

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
has anyone compared the Snugpak pile shirt elite against a Buffalo? I've heard the montane extreme is just too hot for a lot of people.

I want to get a wicking top like this for next winter.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yup :D The Snugpak pertex and pile top is one of the best bits of kit I have ever bought. Its fantastic. I have slept in the woods in it with no sleeping bag or other shelter. Canoed in storms and frosts in it. Its excellent.
I have buffalo salopetes, and the pile is nowhere near as dense, therefore not as warm or waterproof.
The snugpak breathes well, but has zips up both sides to vent.
A large tunnel pocket at the lower front , can accommodate an axe, several knives of 4 cans of bear. Above is a smaller zip up marsupial pocket, big enough to take plenty of tinder, an ~OS map or paper back book.
They also come with a pertex stuff sack bag, that i use regularly for foraging.
A totally excellent piece of kit IMO. I will certainly be buying another when this one wears out, tho after 5 years it will probably last another 5 years.
The only negative point is it does not pack up small - like the sleeka, and is reasonably heavy. Neither of these are a problem if you are wearing it, and mine generally gets used as my pillow at night.
Cheers
Rich

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
thanks for that snugpak it is!

I didn't know about the side vent zips, that's a big bonus. I knew the buffalo had them.

how is the sizing? are they generous?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
weekend_warrior said:
I'd go for the Buffalo Special 6 shirt. Pile lined, worn direct on the skin - it'll keep you toasty, even if it's wet through.

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/dp3rollover.htm

Yep - agree. This is a piece of kit which I know is in widespread use through the military and outdoor worker community. If anything, the only problem is that they can be too warm and they are quite bulky.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE