A few ideas for knots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I'm putting together a pamphlet for my nephew, sort of a chaet sheet for bushcraft. I have covered nautral shelters, fire making, water, etc, and am doin a part on knots. I am thinking of doing 10 knots, as thats fairly simple to memorize, and will give him a wide pool to draw from. So, I am asking this of everyone here; what do YOU think would be the 10 best knots to learn? I have started a list: I'm looking for opinions to fill in the rest. So far, I have this:

1. Square knot
  2. Clove hitch
  3. Figure eight
  4. Mooring hitch
  5. Prusik knot
Feel free to fill in the rest!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
oldsoldier said:
I'm putting together a pamphlet for my nephew, sort of a chaet sheet for bushcraft. I have covered nautral shelters, fire making, water, etc, and am doin a part on knots. I am thinking of doing 10 knots, as thats fairly simple to memorize, and will give him a wide pool to draw from.......
Hey Old Soldier,
Why not include in the package, a long bootlace so that he can practice the knots! I remember doing this in my Scouting years and I still remember them now because of the practice I was able to put in.

ATB

Ogri the trog

P

Philr

A round turn and two half hitches, a v good knot to add to your list :cool:

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
...and a Constrictor Knot's an improvement on the clove hitch IMO.

I think the knots I use most often are the Sheet bend and Round turn and two half hitches. And a slip knot.

What about the Knife Lanyard Knot? He can learn the Carrick bend that way too.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
You should get him a copy of "Scouting for Boys" for his birthday. It was meant as a self instruction manual for teens. If he can get over the Imperial stuff then there is a lot of good information. One of the members on here has a "Traditional Scouting" website which has a structured way of teaching these skills on it.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Hey folks, thanks for all the replies. I may expand it to 15 :). A bootlace with it is an excellent idea! Wish I wouldve thought of that.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
- Icicle hitch (for slippery wood)
- Angler's loop (for when your bowline keeps coming undone)
- Highwayman's hitch (for impressing his mates)
... and any of the many ones for tightening lines. After the bowline and the timber hitch, that'd be the one I use the most.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
I'd add a truckers hitch as one of my ten most frequently used knots and another for impressing mates, a turks head. Any chance we can see the end results of this please?

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Reef knot for general use.

Clove hitch for tying onto a limb

Round turn and 2 half hitches for a secure tie onto a limb

Japanese square lashing - looks real flash, real quick and simple

Sheet bend for joining thick and thin bits (can also make nets)

Fisherman's knot for a very secure tie

A simple whipping

Simple knot to stop an end of cord from fraying

Shoe lace knot (why do you think)

Granny knot - just so as you know what not to tie

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Again, thanks for all the replies! I like that little netknots thing, I may actually go with that. Why re invent the wheel, right?
As far as seeing the pamphlet; sure. I havent come up with a final design yet, & will be adding pics (may be a few weeks is what I'm getting at). But, when its done, I plan on putting it here so you all can pick it apart before I hand it to him. I am also going to use it as a basic handout for the scouts as well, as I am getting involved with them come fall.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I vote...

Bowline - simple clamping loop.
Tautline Hitch - cool loop to create taut line.
Slipped Constrictor Hitch (quick release) - cool variation on bowline
Sheet Bend - tie two lengths of different cordage (relatively easy release knot)
Sheepshank - easily shorten a lenth of cordage already in use.
Highwaymans Hitch (quick release) - cool variation on bowline (not as secure!)

Matt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE