Woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spoonman

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2007
Loch Garman
richanddavis said:
I believe he left due to the people politics within the company.I`ve heard Netty went the same way.Only needs one or two rotten apples in the basket,spoils the whole lot.What has Bushcraft come to?

God that really sucks. I was on a fundamental course last summer and I thought Netty was excellent, really helpful. Never had the pleasure of meeting Juha but his reputation speaks volumes, it's such a shame because I'm now booked on the journeyman 08 and I feel a bit short changed as they are a big loss to woodlore imo.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
I wonder whats going on with there company structure netty was with the company for like 12 or 13 years. I wonder if there money grabing now really putting a downer on bushcraft in general.

Mitch

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
spoonman said:
God that really sucks. I was on a fundamental course last summer and I thought Netty was excellent, really helpful. Never had the pleasure of meeting Juha but his reputation speaks volumes, it's such a shame because I'm now booked on the journeyman 08 and I feel a bit short changed as they are a big loss to woodlore imo.

Have to agree, Netty was my instructer on my Fundamental in june last year and she was great. Even organised a birthday cake for a youg lad who had his18th birthday on the course, (gave him a ceder log to make into a paddle and an axe as a present). Shame

Nick

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay people, gossip is one thing, but some of the posts in this thread are bordering on the slanderous and that's not on.

Pity really because there's a lot of really good information from experienced folks coming forward too.

Toddy

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Toddy said:
Okay people, gossip is one thing, but some of the posts in this thread are bordering on the slanderous and that's not on.

Pity really because there's a lot of really good information from experienced folks coming forward too.

Toddy

Not being slanderous but if you've met netty youll know how devoted to bushcraft she was and its a real shame to see that shes gone.

Mitch

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Sorry guys n gals but its not something to discuss on this open. I'm sure your Friend will be teaching elsewhere if She is as you repute her.
Please keep it to the original topic, not company politics or the thread will be closed.
:cool:

Rich

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
How do you get on these courses? I'm on Woodlore's Short notice list and still every time I check the site, usually at least once every two days, its always fully booked:11doh:

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
1. By short list do you mean mailing list?
If not, this is the link: http://www.raymears.com/subscribe.cfm
They send out course cancellations and I think you have to be a bit nippy :)

2. Don't forget that this bulletin board is freely open to Google and searchable
by anyone whether or not they visit this board or not. This means that the
information has a much wider potential readership than just the people who
have signed up. After all I found this site by Googling in the first place!

I don't think that being a BcUK member entitles anyone to insider knowledge
on a company's staffing decisions or policies, but given that you can send
private messages to five people at once I'd think that might be the way to
discuss things, instead of on a public forum.

Jo

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
I do agree about insider knowledge, however for a service company, the staff are the company and I think there is nothing wrong with people being made aware that people they might have read about in reviews are no longer with the company. I have every confidence that the replacements are fully competent but it is of interest and relevant to people considering courses - and that can't be done by PM.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Greg said:
How do you get on these courses? I'm on Woodlore's Short notice list and still every time I check the site, usually at least once every two days, its always fully booked:11doh:

The first course I went on with woodlore I caught a cancellation 3 days before I had to be there.

The second course I wanted to go on got a cancellation and within about 15mins it had gone.

Luckily managed to get a cancellation for the camp craft course but I booked it before the emails went out to everyone else.

The trick is to check all the time for the course you want or to book one for next year and if an earlier one becomes avaliable you can change your course for a £25 fee.

Mitch

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
MitchelHicks said:
The first course I went on with woodlore I caught a cancellation 3 days before I had to be there.

The second course I wanted to go on got a cancellation and within about 15mins it had gone.

Luckily managed to get a cancellation for the camp craft course but I booked it before the emails went out to everyone else.

The trick is to check all the time for the course you want or to book one for next year and if an earlier one becomes avaliable you can change your course for a £25 fee.

Mitch

The thing is are they worth all the hassle and they are alot more expensive than other bushcraft schools!:rolleyes:

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Greg said:
The thing is are they worth all the hassle and they are alot more expensive than other bushcraft schools!:rolleyes:

Well I havent been away with any other bushcraft schools so I wouldnt be sure but I think there worth it but it all depends on how much money youve got with the lower budget schools i always wonder what the camp will be like and how good they are at bushcraft. But its up to you or not I suppose.

Should check on here and write some reviews of all courses.

Mitch

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
MitchelHicks said:
Well I havent been away with any other bushcraft schools so I wouldnt be sure but I think there worth it but it all depends on how much money youve got with the lower budget schools i always wonder what the camp will be like and how good they are at bushcraft. But its up to you or not I suppose.

Should check on here and write some reviews of all courses.

Mitch

I do think the costs of the Woodlore courses reflect on how famous RM is though.
Can't blame them really - but I have heard that Bearclaw Bushcraft have a good rep.
Money isn't really a problem I just want to spend it wisely!

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
I know what you mean why spend loads on 1 course when you could go on 2 or 3 for the same money. I know word of mouth works well but theres always promotion. The price or the RM courses is reflective of how famous he is but If the demand is there and it clearly is being booked like 15 months in advance I think they can charge it and get away with it. We should get a poll going about companys with good courses I know theres a couple of reviews but Itll be nice to see how many have gone on courses and what the overall opinion of the courses was.

Mitch

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
MitchelHicks said:
I know what you mean why spend loads on 1 course when you could go on 2 or 3 for the same money. I know word of mouth works well but theres always promotion. The price or the RM courses is reflective of how famous he is but If the demand is there and it clearly is being booked like 15 months in advance I think they can charge it and get away with it. We should get a poll going about companys with good courses I know theres a couple of reviews but Itll be nice to see how many have gone on courses and what the overall opinion of the courses was.

Mitch

That my friend is a very good idea.:)
Lets make a new thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE