A really stupid question about chocolate

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We always hear about how one can use chocolate to polish a tin lid to a mirror like surface.

Well I have a pair of reading spectacles that have been scratched in a couple of places, not deeply but enough to blur my vision slightly and annoy me.

If chocolate works on tins will it work on a glass lens?

I don't want to make them worse which is why I am asking.

If it doesn't make it better thats not a problem, I can eat the remaining chocolate :D

Hey BOD,

Have fun with the chocoloate :D

I also believe that there was a product called Jewler's Rouge <?> a polishing paste that might work on fine scratches?

Don't know where on earth I've got that idea from - prolly watching The Antiques Roadshow as a kid :lmao:

Phil.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
My uncle worked for Rank Film Laboratories restoring old film footage. He used to use jewellers rouge to get the scratches out of the old film and I recall him using it to remove the scratches from my watch when I was a nipper. If memory serves it is a two part process - the first is a rub with a super fine wet/dry paper which gives a cloudy finish then the rouge paste is used to polish it back to perfect clarity :)

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
BOD said:
I don't want to make them worse which is why I am asking.

:D

I have a pair of cheapo reading glasses that are badly scratched, I'll give it a go and see if it works.

By the way, is there a big difference in scratch resistance between glasses you buy off the shelf in a pharmacy and prescription lenses? I presume there must be.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
anthonyyy said:
I have a pair of cheapo reading glasses that are badly scratched, I'll give it a go and see if it works.

By the way, is there a big difference in scratch resistance between glasses you buy off the shelf in a pharmacy and prescription lenses? I presume there must be.

Definitely - it is most definitely a case of you get what you pay for!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If you can't get hold of jeweler's rouge, you could try toothpase (a mild abraisive), or Autosol (chrome cleaning paste) from any car repair shop. Be aware that lenses are not always the same though. Many modern lenses are made from a plastic compound and may react differently to those made from ground and polished glass.

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If the scratches are in the coating it's possible that carnate paste will also remove them. This is a pink paste sold in chemists for buffing nails. It's a very, very fine grade abrasive. Comes in little tubs. I've used it before now to polish a buffalo horn carving, and it shines like ebony.

cheers,
Toddy

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've used jewelers rouge many times to polish the crystal on my watch. Do be careful with buffing wheels though. I remember once many years ago using a buffing wheel on a dremel tool, loaded with rouge, to polish the crystal of a Seiko watch. I must have melted it or something. Ate right through the crystal. :D

A clean piece of leather mounted on a small block, and impregnated with jewelers rouge will do a great job on a watch crystal. I also tried this on a pair of glasses but the problem was not scratches but the anti glare coating was coming off, so polishing it didn't help. But I'd bet it would work on scratches, although Eric's caveat makes sense.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I've used toothpaste on watch faces before, & it works fine. As far as glasses, not sure, but I'd assume it would work the same.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
I tried polishing the bottom of a can to make a parabolic reflector and the choclate started going soft before it did anything.
In the past i have used brasso on my watch face to remove scratches, does a great job, just a little on a soft cloth...

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yeah, I spent a couple of days tring to polish a can with chocolate, and after numrous bars of different types of chocolate, I decided that it was a myth and eating the chocolate would be your best option in all situations. Mints didn't work either. Toothpaste was by far the best or Tcut/autosol.
I second the Jewelers rouge suggesteion, I heard of a man who spent 8 years hand making a lens for an astro telescope, to prove it could be done using jewelers rouge.
My experience is that it is very gental stuff. Gold is very soft, so it has to be, so it will take a while to get the scratches out and do no real harm. Just be prepared for it to take a while.

Cheers
Rich

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
billycan said:
I tried polishing the bottom of a can to make a parabolic reflector and the choclate started going soft before it did anything.
In the past i have used brasso on my watch face to remove scratches, does a great job, just a little on a soft cloth...

use the cheapest chocolade you can find, the type that feels like eating sand - probably due to huge sugar crystals

Btw, I wouldn´t try to polish glases myself with chocolate or toothpaste. Too much to go wrong, remember we´re talking about eyes. :eek:
If it would be that easy there´s no point in buying glases, just get a piece of glas and start beinmg a DIY lens maker :lmao:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
cyclist said:
use the cheapest chocolade you can find, the type that feels like eating sand - probably due to huge sugar crystals

Btw, I wouldn´t try to polish glases myself with chocolate or toothpaste. Too much to go wrong, remember we´re talking about eyes. :eek:
If it would be that easy there´s no point in buying glases, just get a piece of glas and start beinmg a DIY lens maker :lmao:

Ah, but we're talking about removing scratches and blemishes from an existing prescription profile. Polishing won't alter the profile. DIY lens making is a whole 'nother ball game.

Eric

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
T^hink you wil find that it will be impossible to get all but the finest scratches out as you will alter the profile of the lense and put a distortion on it. try silver polish .dont forget a scratch is normaly quite a deep cut in the lense surface so you need to remove quite a lot of material all over the lense otherwise you will just polish a wide groove in the lense surface .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE