Where to Go and Camp Out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Green Dweller Beloved

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2007
Hampshire
Toddy said:
I think I'm the littlest of the Mods :rolleyes: but I am going to publicly thank those who have offered good advice on this thread and tried to keep things above board, and BcUK safe :You_Rock_

I hope that Green Dweller Beloved is reading carefully, down your way any offence against a land owners rights seems to have a knock on effect on any one else trying to get permission to use land.

Oh, and welcome to BcUK, joining in the conversations is definitely the way to be part of the community.

Cheers,
Toddy

Thanks Toddy!
Glad I'm not in trouble.
I mean no harm.
I just want to enjoy the greatness that is the outdoors.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
It can be tempting to ignore the law so to speak mate but don't. It is very hard to camp out nowdays we all know too well. Keep up the info hunt and if you find a place please let us know.

Cheers
Jay

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Green Dweller Beloved, we all want to make camp fires, but the law is not in place to ruin our fun nor are the guys and gals on this site, its a fact that i have seen down here in dorset that a simple camp fire can rip through a field a ruin a years crops for a farmer and kill god knows how much wild life in the process.

I am looking for the same thing so the minute I locate a legal place I will pm you mate.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Green Dweller Beloved said:
Cheers Goose, so where would I find a meet reasonably locally?

Ps were you in Top Gun?
A good place to start is the meet ups forum, either one that is already running or post and ask, everyones friendly and am sure some locals will get back to you.

And no I wasn't, just rhymes with my surname, mates didn't have much imagination :rolleyes:

Jan 24, 2007
Cornwall, UK
From what your saying I think you'd do well (and enjoy yourselves more) if you tried something like walking a section of coast path. Easy to research and find campsites of all types. Maybe a bit of wild camping/foraging on the beaches. Got to do your homework though as some beaches completely dissapear as the tide comes in with no escape.
Also theres a meet up planned for Cornwall at Easter.This should be a good chance to meet folk with varying levels of experience. The private land camping we do is on a local famers land but we live in the country and know him pretty well. Try not to be too judgemental about landowners -they come in all flavours;-) And remember that for most its their livlihood, me & my lad are just out "playing". Fires are always with express permission.
Not sure what the law is about fires on the beaches -but its a traditional method of hunting ships down here;-) -jus joking.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Shibari.surfer said:
Not sure what the law is about fires on the beaches -but its a traditional method of hunting ships down here;-) -jus joking.

Actually that's a good point; what is the law about fires on beaches in England/ Wales/ Ireland, etc. ?
Crown Estates own a heck of a lot of the foreshores, but that's about all I know about it. Riparian interests surely come into the question though.

Anybody?

cheers,
Toddy

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
I remember having beach parties whilst at Uni (Kent) many years ago. We always made a point of warning the coast-guard that we were going to have a fire on the beach and they were always grateful - we were never once told not to do it.

Now I know this is not an authoritative answer - but it was the state-of-play in the real world, albeit back in pre-history :)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
A lot of foreshore still belongs to the crown estate, but some of it is leased (eg to wildfowling clubs).

Of coourse, a driftwood fire below the high water mark is arguably 'greener' than using a stove.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Green Dweller Beloved said:
Maybe you find the name of a farm on an OS map and ring them up? It sounds to me that the safest, most legal way is to ask the landowner, but how do you approach a subject like that? A lot of landowners have surely snobs, who would look down their noses at you maybe?
Thats probably not the best way, many farms are not named, and in many other cases the farm is run by a manager, not the owner, however they may well be able to give you permission.

Many land owners are now corporations or co-ops run by directors, who are not necessarily snobs, just buisness men who can't see a return for the potential risk of having you on their land. To them it might as well be a factory floor, if you got hurt then you might be able to sue them because they gave you permission but didn't mention that rusty nail in a bit of wood 1/2" below the surface 78.2m SE of the big tree. :(

So you can see that when we do find somewhere we try to be respectful, absolutly no rubbish left, epecially down rabbit holes!! Don't light a fire on anything other than bare soil or raised off the ground, keep it away from trees, if nothing else your smoke can kill baby birds in the branches above, and don't make it too big. That time of year you won't need a huge conflagration, just a few sticks to cook on and look at. use something dense that will burn for ages and minimise the wood you take. :)

Its a contentious one but I never make shelters form anything other than wood on the ground, to outsiders it looks like a bunch of sticks and vandalism :(

Oh yes, don't sleep under beech trees! (Widowmakers!) :eek:

PS Have you subscribed to the magazine? If not then I can highly recommend it.

norm

Feb 18, 2005
Leicestershire
Toddy said:
Actually that's a good point; what is the law about fires on beaches in England/ Wales/ Ireland, etc. ?
Crown Estates own a heck of a lot of the foreshores, but that's about all I know about it. Riparian interests surely come into the question though.

Anybody?

Toddy,

As far as I know fires on beaches are a matter for the local byelaws - so good news... Everywhere's gonna be different! You may be able to get permission from the relevant authority (but who to ask at the Council/National Trust/Crown Estate/Wildlife Trust..? Your guess is as good as mine!)

"Riparian interests" only apply to rivers and streams...

Norm

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Does the rivers and streams bit apply to the estuaries and firths too? Up here salmon netting was common there too.

atb,
Toddy

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I wonder where the line is drawn between fire and bar-b-que ? Carrying a small folding firebox may be an option ? then the fire is off the ground, contained and must remain small. It also makes it easy to contol and cook on.
It is a grey area, and a sensible solution IMHO.

You might also consider basing yourself from a set campsite and doing day hikes from a base. Then you will requre only permission.

Cheers
Rich

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Last year I discovered an amazing campsite in Dorset (completely unpretentious) where it is fine to light sensible fires off the ground. The area is just amazing and set in big woodlands yet only a mile or two from the beach. Just make sure you go when it's a quiet time (not during school holidays) if it's peace you're after.
http://www.burnbake.com/

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Thanks Twisted Firestarter

Just the sort of place I have been locally looking for, have emailed them with q`s.

Cheers for the info bud.

Don

norm

Feb 18, 2005
Leicestershire
Toddy said:
Does the rivers and streams bit apply to the estuaries and firths too? Up here salmon netting was common there too.

I'd have thought that estuaries and firths would count as foreshore up to the tidal limit... Not sure, gets a bit grey. Fishing seems to be acceptable from the beach (byelaws permitting), so from an estuary beach - probably. :confused:

I should think that like most things where the law is unclear, if you do it and get away with it, fine - go quietly, and if you do it and get told to leave, just go quietly - unless you're 100% sure of your rights...

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Just to give you an update on Twisted Firestarters Burnbake link.
I have contacted the owner and, he reopens for the season in march, they have woodland all over the site where you are allowed to erect hammocks etc, and you are allowed small campfires as long as they are off the ground.
2007 charges are £6 per night, not bad when you consider its not an illegal nights bushcraft with no heavy fines.

Don

Feb 10, 2007
London
I had a look at the link also and it looks like a good place to try. Also if you go right at the start of the season it probably won't be too busy. Looks like a good place to try and 6 quid a night ain't bad at all. I reckon with all the trees about that firewood should be quite plentiful!

All the best....P

Sep 19, 2006
Gloucester
I grew up in poole, and camped at burnbake with my family and their old uni friends many summers. Since I graduated and moved away I go back here at the begining and end of the season with uni mates and it is brilliant. There is always tons of wood lying around that has been very recently cut down by staff, and as previously said they are quite happy for you to have a good fire so long as it is on a base of some kind - the first few times we just turned our bbq into a fire after we'd finished cooking, now we use a separate large round metal bbq base on legs as the fire. We tend to pitch our tents right in the middle of the woods where we get plenty of privacy and quiet.

I've always been a bit careful not to tell too many people how great it is in case it starts to get taken over by drunken loud louts :) but not much chance of that from you guys.

Always fun to go over the chain ferry at sandbanks too (not in the middle of summer, unless you like sitting in a queue of cars for hours)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE