It Snowed During the Night!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
What joy! It has made even my part of London look aesthetically pleasing. Off up the local woods later (no danger of being propositioned for casual sex with a stranger today!...not that I’m ‘phobic’, quite the contrary).

Roast Mallard for breakfast I think, by way of a modest celebration!

Cheers,
Paul.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
is anyone else fed up of the weather people of tv and radio describing the -1 or -2 degree conditions as "bitterly bitterly cold"?

surely it aint that bad.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Very pretty - I grinned beamingly at everyone this morning and took a lovely
long journey into work all the better to see the sky wake up. From the tracks
in my front drive, it looks like we've had moose trotting through - that can't be
right :p

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Still waiting for something to happen here. Its the first winter in 6 years that we haven't been snowed in over the Christmas period. There are some white tops to the surrounding mountains but its seriously lacking here - feeling somewhat left-out :(

ATB

Ogri the trog

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We've had the odd flurry but that's it :(
I worked in local woods yesterday with Forest School / Countryside Rangers and though the puddles were iced over it was a muddy quagmire within minutes of us walking over the ground; miserable underfoot.........my boots look like I've grown three sizes with the mud :eek: I came home mud up to my thighs, stinking of firesmoke, you can guess what my neighbours thought :rolleyes: :D Good day though :)

I miss *real* snow, plenty of time yet for it though.

Cheers,
Toddy

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
2'' here when we got up this morning. Various small crashes and a couple of cars fell off the hill but it is now melting fast.
It was lovely and quiet too for a short while.
Swyn.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
locum76 said:
is anyone else fed up of the weather people of tv and radio describing the -1 or -2 degree conditions as "bitterly bitterly cold"?

surely it aint that bad.

Quite funny I thought - "... and conditions are going to get much worse tonight, some places getting as low as -2deg" :lmao:

2" here in Redhill/North Downs, still about. The kids were ready for school 30mins early and we made a snowman in the back garden before setting off!

Top stuff (I love snow).

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
locum76 said:

surely it aint that bad.

It's always amusing looking at what other people consider to be "extreme" weather. We don't consider it "bitterly, bitterly cold" until the thermometer dips below -30C, and we had a snowstorm rip through and dump 13cm on us earlier in the week. All in a winter's work out here.

Now, I get woozy and ill when the temperature gets above 30C, even with our low humidity. High humidity and any sort of heat makes me uncomfortable and I wonder how people can bear it. It's all in what you're accustomed to, I think.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Voivode said:
It's always amusing looking at what other people consider to be "extreme" weather. We don't consider it "bitterly, bitterly cold" until the thermometer dips below -30C, and we had a snowstorm rip through and dump 13cm on us earlier in the week. All in a winter's work out here.

Now, I get woozy and ill when the temperature gets above 30C, even with our low humidity. High humidity and any sort of heat makes me uncomfortable and I wonder how people can bear it. It's all in what you're accustomed to, I think.
My parents live just below you, in Montana. The coldest, they have had it was
-37c. They come over here to the UK and moan about the cold over here. We have a damp cold that gets into your bones. Also I noticed, when I was over there, cars are able to drive over the compacted snow on the roads pretty well, but over here, the roads become a sheet of ice. We had 2 inches of snow this morning, (the first of the season) and I saw loads of places where cars had gone straight on, on corners, and a couple of cars in ditches. I much prefer your dryer climate, though we can make better snowmen and snowballs.....

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Voivode said:
...Now, I get woozy and ill when the temperature gets above 30C, even with our low humidity. High humidity and any sort of heat makes me uncomfortable and I wonder how people can bear it...

Me too.

If you’ve got a spare room, I’d be willing to come over and chop wood for nothing but ‘board and lodging’ :D

Best regards,
Paul.

Gailainne

Life Member
though we can make better snowmen and snowballs.....[/QUOTE said:
I laughed out loud when I saw this, I remember visiting friends in Phoenix In Arizona, and one day we drove up above the snow line, one of them promply got out lay down in the snow and started waving her arms and legs about, (and I thought the English were strange I thought ) She got up and left an impression in the snow "Snow angel" they all shouted at me, when I asked what the hell she was doing......aint humans wonderful.

As an aside last week 6:30 driving to work it started to snow, driving towards Stirling towards the motorway (considerably higher than home) it started to lie...Oh sh*t I thought ( I drive a vx220 aluminium chassis, fibreglass shell 2.2ltr rear drive car, huge rear wheels), started up the hill towards the motorway entrance, theres a tanker jack knifed on the road...ppl are going round...typically the one in front of me has to stop (OH SH*T) I thought
stopped in time but will I ever get moving again...did, roster tailed it all the way up the hill, lol the guy behind stayed weeeeeell back. did finally get into work at 9:30 :rolleyes: (Its 20 miles) I love snow and what it does to the countryside, but not when I have to drive anywhere.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE