How much does your kit weigh?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

How much does your kit weigh?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Well, like the title says, how much does your average "play" kit weigh - i.e. when you go into the woods for a weekend to try your hand at things, not when you are out travelling!

Just put all of mine together, and it stacks in at 19.8kg - ouch, although that does include 4 litres of water, a bottle of rum, and a cooking set for two, not to mention an axe and a large knife.

How about yours?

Agile

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am afraid there are too many variables to give a weight for my kit - time away from resupply, object of the trip, weather conditions, season, terrain, mode of transport (canoe/foot/van/train), mobile or static etc. However the weight never gets lower than 30lbs and rarely excedes 60lbs if I have to carry it!

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Just packed my kit last night for getting away tonight down to Peebles. Out of interest I thought I'd weigh it....it came in at 22.3kg including 3lt water and some food but excluding lightweight stove, gas and billy can set...though there's not much extra weight in that...the other guy is taking that stuff...no point in duplication. Sometimes I wonder about the stove at all as all out cooking is done on an open fire though I suppose there will be a time we can't.

There's no spare clothing, apart from an extra fleece, seeing as it's just one night but there is a set of gortex waterproof. As usual what you take for one night would do for a week...apart from food.

Vince

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Simple answer.....

TOO BLEEDING MUCH! :lmao:

As my tag line suggests i am currently intentionally taking less and less with me. I find the things i am putting on my back are there as a crutch (just in case). I am trying to find natural alternatives to man made equipment...

...the whole principle of bushcraft i believe :D

leon-1

Ark Angel, I wouldn't worry too much about kit weight, I have a pack which most people would shy away from, but it is not without reason.

I always carry a first aid kit (not a bad one either), I always carry safety kit (enough that I am satisfied that it will do the job), I always carry a stove of some form and enough rations to keep me going for at least 3-5 days, all in all my pack doesn't change in weight that much, but it is never light.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
For average weekend I try to keep it below 15Kg's. The key to weight issue I have found is looking closly at the three main components. The Pack, Sleeping kit and Shelter. I use the 15Kgs as a target as this is the limit for air travel but it does very for seasons as well. This summer for 4 days my load with food for four days and 3ltrs of water was less the 10kgs on the first day.

James

Thorfinn

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2006
West Lothian
I prefer the light aproah normally, I like the idea of not needin to carry anything that won't be used. I now you should really be over prepared but hay Knowledge weighs nothing and if you know it you can either make it your self or not need it.

But most the time i still end up taking something i don't need. :D

Thorfinn

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
This is a fascinating thread. I think you need to say whether you are talking about a car based trip or one where you carry everything. If I was using a car mine would be a lot heavier as I would take several of those 'just in case' items we all wish we could leave at home. :)

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Personally the kit I was referring to was for a single night out (it turns out it was a pretty windy one, but good none the less!)

Think the weight of all your standard kit, including any "day activities", but light enough that it could be carried about 2km from the car or further - weight did not include boots!

Agile

Long Stride

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2006
Dundee
I agree with Leon-1,

The standard kit I take doesn't change if I am out for 1 night or a week.
Even the difference between Summer and Winter kit isn't that great, 4 Seasons in 1 day around here - even in Summer.

Reactions: leon-1

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Long Stride said:
I agree with Leon-1,

The standard kit I take doesn't change if I am out for 1 night or a week.
Even the difference between Summer and Winter kit isn't that great, 4 Seasons in 1 day around here - even in Summer.

Im with both of you on this one. The only thing in my kit that changes.........is the type of clothing for the season Im in. :)

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Last time I weighed it, it came in at 24.2kg :eek: . That's my winter weight, however, I've just bought a few bits of more lightweight gear which should take me just below the 20kg mark. :red:

Quick update:

Weighed the kit last night. 18.1Kg without water, but with enough food for 3 days. I should be fair prancing over the flora after dumping 6.1Kg :D

Old tarp went.
Large tarp ditched.
Cast iron skillet gone.
Fuel and cooker, gone.

If travelling by car - at least double the weight.

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I've given up going lite, I keep buying too much kit I want to try out so instead I'm back weight lifting and hiking more! :lmao:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
My kit is huge though... sleeping arrangements for all seasons for 2 people plus all associated gear... it takes up most of a small shed and I have no idea how much that weighs... god forbid I had some canoes!!! :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE