After a decent tent for less than £150.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I'm after a good tent for around £150 (can't justify spending to much more to SWIMBO). I intend to use it for weekend camping in Scotland, Wales and the like. I'd require it to be at least a two man with a porch to store equipment, be water and condensation proof and be light weight enough to carry.

I've had a premlimary look around and this caught my eye, has anyone any knowledge of it?

http://mountainwarehouse.com/shop/product/products_id/2895.html

Thanks.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
I have a Mountain Equipment Torres 3XT and it is fantastic.

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/content.php?page=showproduct&prodid=139

Ideal for two people and will cope with aweful weather. Should be able to get one on ebay for about £150

Phil.

That looks really smart, however when I priced it up the cheapest I could find it was around £100 more than I want to (can) spend. :(

I did come across this one though and I remember another member on here got one:

Taurus 2 (Vaude)

http://www.cheaptents.com/acatalog/Product_Catalogue_Products_29.html

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Zammo,

I've got the Wild Country Trisar thats on your link mate, I've used it up on Snowdon and Pen y fan in the winter without any problems. It's also been used in Scotland and all over England in torrential rain without letting in water or building up much condensation. I usually use it on my own so it isn't too heavy and has plenty of room in the porch for kit and cooking. Mine is about 8 years old and still going strong, hope that helps a bit mate.

Brian

simonharrod31

May 21, 2006
southampton
hi i have got a small dreamer 2 man tent made by robens from cotswolds price was 94pounds , that i use for places like dartmoor, used it on the long mynd in the shropshire hills last year, weighs 2700 g has a small bit under the fly sheet for storing kit the outer goes up first so if it is raining you wont get the inner wet. it is 310 cm long point to point 170cm wide at the widest point the shape is simalar to a long kite the only draw back i found was that the head room wasnt that great so if you were to be stuck in it for any reason like i dont know it raining lol it could be a pain.

kai055

Forager
Dec 29, 2006
Hornchurch
u could buy if interested a tepee, but its not really lightweight but could be made lightweight by removing the heavy ground sheet and use a long stick the same length as the pole.

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
My personal favourite would be the Vaude Hogan, Vaude Taurus I or Vaude Taurus II.

All 3 are excellent tents, although the Hogan - because of the shock cord and it's ability to make pitching a tent a matter of 2 or 3 minutes, rather than pole threading for 10 minutes! The Taurus I & II come in second.

In terms of suppliers (and with the usual caveat of "I don't work for these people!)

Field and Trek are excellent if you order on line - although I avoid the shops like the plague these days!

I've used GearZone before - they supplied 6 x Taurus I's for my Air Cadet Squadron. Excellent tents, very good and robust.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
rik_uk3 said:
The vango tbs equinox tents are pretty good and you can often find them cheap or on sale, they also come in 3 man (the 350) and 4 man (the 450). The porch, on the 450 at least, is very roomy and the tension band system certainly works well, i've used mine in heavy rain and very high winds without any problems, although it isn't particularly lightweight i'd say it's a good general use tent and should cope with most UK conditions.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Thanks for all your sugestions.

I'm leaning towards either the Vaude Taurus II (it has more space than the other two Taurus models) or the Vango Equinox.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Just to add to the Vaude recommendations. I have a 15 year old Vaude tent (the daftly named Space Explorer). After much use and abuse, and with no reproofing, it remains totally watertight, with no rips and and no zip or pole malfunctions.

The newer models are lighter and might not be quite so robust, but Vaude certainly make a long lived tent.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I've read a quit few reviews about Vaude tents on here and on the net and everyone seems to praise them highly. Plus the Tauras is quite a bit lighter than the Equinox so I think i'll probably go for that.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I've came accross this U.S site selling the Vaude Taurus II for the rediculously cheap price of £96. I'm not sure how much there'll charge for P&P, but i'm more worried about what extras i'll be charged trying to import it, apparently the greedy taxman has got wise to the fact that the $ is so weak compared to the £ and is now adding on VAT (or some form of tax) to purchases from the U.S, has anyone purchased anything from the U.S recently and came across this or has any other advice?

Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE