batteries for Digital Cameras Which best ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Hi All,

Got a Samsung D73 Digital Camera for xmas, takes 2 x AA batts, they last only a few days and 100 or so shots,

Is there any advice on better batteries to use ?

Iv'e been using Duracel Plus AA

Should i just get chargables and a charger ?

Thanks

Loz

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
NiMH are the way to go! - they are pretty cheap now and last ages on one charge! - is all I use now (and they don't seem to hold a memory quite like nicads do ;) )

no connection obviously but http://www.7dayshop.com is cheap and their own brand seem great!

T

TimB

You can also get pretty powerfull re-chargable batteries now.. 2700mah.. It will keep my digi cam alive for ages!!
They can be found on ebay quite cheep! And you get 4, so you always have 2 spares!!

G

Glade

The discharge characteristics of alkaline cells (e.g. the Duracell Plus) whilst excellent in some applications, are completely unsuited to a digital camera and you will indeed be disappointed with the performance obtained from them.

I'll just echo what g4ghb has already said - go for NiMH (Nickel-Metal Hydride) cells and you will see a huge improvement. I'd also recommend 7dayshop.com (I have no connection other than being a very satisfied customer).

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
My brother has the same problem. The only way he has managed to make the battery last is to turn the screen off and look through the eye hole. This makes the battery last longer.

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
Watch the 2500+mah batteries. I've found they get REALLY hot and putting them straight from charge into the camera can, depending on the location of your LCD, cause some damage. One of my old cameras simply doesn't work on anything higher than 2200mah!

Fortunately, my Fuji S5500 will happily except 2700's! And they last for days!!!

Long Stride

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2006
Dundee
Has anyone else noticed that rechargeable AA batteries are slightly larger ( Length and diameter ) than standard throw away batteries.

The battery compartment door on my last camera cracked while using rechargeable AAs.

I would definietly have to go for rechargeable batteries (NiMH); they are so much cheaper in the long run! This charger is one I picked up at Homebase the other day (no affiliation to Homebase etc. other than I recently purchased one ;) ) and folds down really small (in the picture in link, you remove the batteries and fold down the blue bits. v. portable.

cheers,
woodwalker

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Also consider (if you need disposables) using Lithium AAs - they are phenomenal in terms of lasting - 7 times duracell length of use!

Red

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
You don't say whether you use it with screen on or off...If you use it screen on it uses a lot more power so batteries wont last as long, screen off lots more pictures.

Just a thought...

LS

g4ghb said:
NiMH are the way to go! - they are pretty cheap now and last ages on one charge! - is all I use now (and they don't seem to hold a memory quite like nicads do ;) )

no connection obviously but http://www.7dayshop.com is cheap and their own brand seem great!

I got some of these from 7dayshop and i don't think you will find a better bargain they even come with a car charger.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=3&type=3070&man=20&filterwords=&go=SEARCH&comp=

Sep 19, 2006
Gloucester
I got a load of energizer ultimate lithium AA and AAA from 7dayshop last week (way cheaper than anywhere else I saw, a friend told me about them) along with some ink cartridges.

Just a note that to avoid import duty they send things (from their offices in the channel isles) in a number of small jiffy bags of no more than about £18 per bag. They were delivered home while I was at work so I was expecting to have to go to the depot to pick up a big parcel, but I could barely get the front door open past the piles of jiffy bags inside!! Still only charged once for postage though!

Also of possible interest to people who weigh everything: lithium non-rechargeables like these are quite a lot lighter than alkalines, no idea how they compare with nimh though.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
The best batteries I've used are rechargeable batteries from Jessops. The ones I've bought seem to last a good few days.

Maybe worth a look!

Pib

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
You get three main types of disposable batteries for digital cameras standard AA's (eg duracell), these tend to be alkaline batteries, digital camera specific batteries, and Lithium.

If your camera will accept the CRV3 battery use it, it takes a lot of beating

Assuming your camera only takes AA's and doesn't accept the CRV3 size battery:

Alkaline batteries are rubbish don't use them unless your stuck

Digital camera batteries costing about £5 for 4 will last a lot longer than a
standard battery

Lithium batteries costing from £10 for 4 (energiser lithium are the best) are
the best ones to go for as they will last far longer than either other type of cell.

Lithium batteries also weigh less and are more resiliant to cold weather (less than 5 degrees) which reduce the lifespan of Alkaline batteries to about 10% or less of their normal lifespan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE