SASS Kit Bag - Opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
In relation to another thread I started about adding capacity to ones Karrimore 45 litre Sabre, I have come across a little jem and wondered if anyone else has also seen this?

http://www.sasskit.co.uk/products/militaryrucksacks/sasskitbag.htm

It is a rather rustic container for kit, with a few clips on. Nothing ground-breaking, but then neither is the Sabre, and many people seem to own them too! It sounds like an excellent idea, especially at this time of year, where I could place my bed roll (i.e. rollmat, sleeping bag, bivvy and tarp in it, leaving my main sack ready to rock with any additional items.

Anyone use or have any strong opinions about this?

The one item I would say though, is that it looks like it could increase significantly the leverage of the pack, as it is mounted on the back - increasing the distance of the centre of gravity of the pack away from the user.

Agile

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Never seen one before, but from looking at that link you posted it is just a simple bag with a few straps. It is in fact mounted on the top of a PLCE bergen in the picture, so it wouldn't make much difference to the load unless you wanted to get into the prone position, your head would get rammed into the ground!!

Most folk in the forces these days use a daysack (Berghaus Munro seems to be the favourite) which they will use as a grab bag in case the ****!! You just put kit in that will make life easier for 24 hours or a bit longer, maybe a small dos bag (Softie 3) and some waterproofs, basha and rations and water. Section Commanders will put kit relevant to them in aswell, such as TAMS and binos, orders book and so on.

This then goes under the lid of your PLCE bergen so when it goes wrong, you just flip the lid, grab your grab bag and go. You will already have your weapon and webbing so you should have a lot of food, water and ammunition, along with admin kit like a rifle cleaning kit, magazine charger, and other essential bits of kit. There's no point carrying your housewife or boot cleaning kit around with you if the enemy is crawling over the hill!!

As for something like this in a bushcraft role, you need to think about what you would want to take on a jaunt if you are leaving your main kit behind. Maybe one of the Indie bags from the group buy would just be enough. I carry a Nalgene filled with water, a monocular, smoking kit, gloves and hat if I'm not wearing them, my CMG torch and an Opi 8, and I throw my keys in to keep them safe and secure. If you only want it to store your sleeping kit in, then I would rather opt for an Ortlieb dry bag and either bungee it or strap it to the bergen. I would only ever trust Ortlieb to keep my sleeping kit dry.

Reactions: TheGreenMan

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I agree with Spamel here. I hate things on the top of my pack as they restrict your head movement and you miss a lot of what going on around you. After a time you get a sore neck. It also looks to me like any other dry bag or stuff sack which you could probably pick up for a fraction of the cost. :)

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
One of my friends had one - but hated carrying it on top. He stitched a pair of side pouch zips on the side so it zipped on like a PLCE Side Pouch - damn fine idea. Works really well - although benefits from a compression strap to hold it in place if it's loaded up!

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Sounds like quality advice - thanks for the input. From a mobility perspective, I really like the idea of getting a smaller "day" pack, and perhaps adapting it to fit to the PLCE system. This especially takes my fancy if I were to use the pack when I go traveling, as the PLCE backpack made from the two side pockets doesn't look the dogs, especially if you are trying to use it in posh hotels!!

Thanks for the input, I shall continue my searches, but it sounds like an extra waterproof pack or a non "airflow" day sack could be the better way to go.

Agile

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
SASS also produce a "Grab 'n' Go" bag (in DPM or olive green). That has 4 plastic clips and is deigned to replace the PLCE side pocket. At 30L it's larger than the PLCE side pockets and it has permanent shoulder straps. It also has a mesh rear pocket and side compression straps.

I personally think that fully laden it may flop about the place if only attached by the 4 plastic buckles (especially if the main sack is empty-ish) so it would probably be worth sewing some zips on the side.

I've never seen one so I can't really comment on actual use, I just remember thinking it was a good idea! I believe a company called Wyvern used to make a very similar one ...... can't find their website though.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don't like anything strapped to the top of my bergen, in fact I only normally use packs that are no higher than the level of your shoulders unless I really have to ( makes life a whole lots easier when moving thru woodland.
I use an LK35 (which cost £10), supposedly 35ltr, but a sabre 45 will fit inside it. Asingle PLCE side pocket stuffed in the top with a harness acts as a useful daysack for short forays from camp.
This is seems to be enough for 4-5 days out.
Hope this helps
N

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE