Mora troubles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Englander, it aint an enterprise of pith and moment.......just wipe it on yer kitchen roll and keep it out of its case for a bit, then give it another wipe.

Anyway, if you do go ahead with with a coating of oil, then it,ll take away the "zing" that I find so distasteful , on all grub that,s been cut with a carbon.......to me, its like tasting the tangy whiff of what happens when you put your tongue tip to a battery.

No doubt, somebody with jump in with the clinical statistics and www references.

Ceeg

Reactions: bambodoggy

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I can think of three reasons for your Mora rusting:

1) When you clean it with washing up liquid you completely degrease the surface, which opens it to moisture, acids, etc. It's a technique used in metalographic sample preperation bfore etching.

2) the Mora has a plastic sheath, which is highly hydrophobic. This means that when you go into a warm place (eg indoors) condensation gathers on the blade. In a leather sheath this moisture would be drawn through the leather and wicked away.

3) A carbon steel blade will develop a patina of oxides that actually he;p to protect against rust a little. If it is kept very clean these oxides don't get the chance to build up.

I reckon you just need to leave it dirty! :D failing that rinse but don't degrease adn maybe think about a leather sheath for it.

just my 2p worth

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
It might be a good idea to slice the bottom of the sheath off to let water escape, if there isn't a hole in it already. I have done this to mine.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
As a fellow North-Westerner, I'd say clean AND oil 'em.

Esp after cutting anything acidic. (or pies, since you're in Wigan ;) )

And ensure the sheath has a breather hole at the tip. Somer of mine were clogged with moulding "flash".

Jim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE