Rucksack capacity?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

K.I.S.S

Sep 18, 2006
ROBERTSBRIDGE
Just a quike note on the size and quality of sacks,
Genuine plce (100ltr)- cheapish, poor quality, my frame broke, very hot on the back and hip belt to high. :banghead:
I have tried the old external framed r.marine sack with karrimore frame, its good but the opening is tight at the top and it sways about abit.(80 ltr) ;)

My current sack is superb, its the Berghaus Vulcan with removable side pouchs, comfortable, incredible strong, a little heavy and at £150 its not bad because it will last 10 years plus, its about 100 litrs so on the big side, but useful for winter. :You_Rock_
On short trip i take the old medium sized (60-70ltrs) alice pack with external frame, only used it a couple of times, seems well put together, though a bit armyish!!!

Keeping it splendidly simple :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
My LK35 arrived today, a great piece of kit! It looks bloody invincible. Allready filled it up with my gear and it seems to distribute the weight well. Comfy too, Id always associated external frame rucksacks with pain :) , this things great! Only a tenner! :D :D :D
Gonna take it out on the weekend and see how it feels after a few hours hiking.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I'm getting old, I'm short and my packs are getting smaller as a consequence.

Weekend pack is LK35 - fantastic
upto 5 days Sabre 45 plus rocket packs (in cammo unfortunately but it was cheap)
Longer or winter weekend Decathlon 70ltr

If I need to carry more than that it's call car camping :D

David

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I picked up a Bergen longback and side pockets this year, only used it twice. Very nice pack, good design, and comfortable. At my age I could not afford to fill it, as I doubt I could lift it. That said, the spare space would be very good for carrying bulky, but not too heavy items like a winter sleeping bag. My bag was not expensive and works very well, no problems at -6c back in March, but bloody hell, its bulky, even in the comp sack.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
rik_uk3 said:
I picked up a Bergen longback and side pockets this year, only used it twice. Very nice pack, good design, and comfortable. At my age I could not afford to fill it, as I doubt I could lift it. That said, the spare space would be very good for carrying bulky, but not too heavy items like a winter sleeping bag. My bag was not expensive and works very well, no problems at -6c back in March, but bloody hell, its bulky, even in the comp sack.

My personal opinion is if you only get one sack get a bigun. My webtex plce bergan (120l) holds all that I want and without having stuff dangling off it. I dunno about the others but i have no problems packing a half empty sack for a weekend but it makes soooo much difference if you have to walk into a site with everything on your back not to have to make two trips. The plce bergan has 2 10l side pockets that you can take off if you need to reduce bulk and also mke up into a 20l sack for quickies. and some good prices on ebay as well. I would never go back to my 65l ever.
Nick

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I strapped an old OG chest rig to my LK 35 to give me some external stowage for my meths and other bits and bobs like brew kit and that, so that I don't have to dig around for those small bits of kit that I need right now!! It works really well. My two issue water bottles sit in the large pockets with my crusader mug, and I put the burner unit from my trangia in the compass pouch. I can brew up using just the burner, the cup being balanced above the burner on some large stones, or similar. It helps as the only downside to the LK 35 is its lack of external stowage.

Great bag and great price, it works for me fine for a weekender, haven't taken it for a longer trip yet. My mate uses his for work aswell, and got some surprised looks from the old and bold brigade who haven't seen external frame packs for years. A certain WO1 said he preferred them to PLCE which just makes his back sweat and itch!!

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Draven said:
Howdy folks
Right...
Rucksack capacity has always sorta confused me... I've never really been able to figure out what I need.
So basically, how many litres should I be looking for, for a weekend trip?
Something that'll hold my axe, folding saw, knife, change of clothes, cooking gear, hammock, tarp, etc.....
Once again, I am confused :confused:
Cheers
Pete

I don't know about 45-55l for a 'minimalist weekend' but I just completed the Southern Upland Way (212 miles across Scotland, 7 days) with a 32 litre rucksack, complete with all camp and cooking gear and carrying 4 days food at a time.

Not that this helps you in any way, but I just felt like showing off :eek:

Experience will tell you what you need eventually, but there is one rule that you learn quite quickly: You will ALWAYS take more than you need.

Jake.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
copper_head said:
My LK35 arrived today, a great piece of kit! It looks bloody invincible. Allready filled it up with my gear and it seems to distribute the weight well. Comfy too, Id always associated external frame rucksacks with pain :) , this things great! Only a tenner! :D :D :D
Gonna take it out on the weekend and see how it feels after a few hours hiking.

I used to hate that one when I was in service. As did everybody else, maybe we're spoiled? But if you like that one you really should try the new version, from sacci.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE