Help Choose My 1st Tenant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I’m in need of at least a 5-day break from the pressures of modern life and intend to combine such with some overdue varmint control on one of my nicer rifle hunting sites in mid October. In the past I’ve simply driven a short wheelbase Land-Rover into a cosy and elevated spot and slept in the back with tailgate down and tarp covering the rear section. It has worked well but now I rather fancy going deeper into the woods (a sign, perhaps, of just how much in need of a rest I am?) so wish to purchase a suitably Bushcrafty tent ASAP.

So, here is a chance to let me know what’s best and from both camps (sorry!) of design philosophy - as in retro or hi-tech. The only criteria being that such should be more than a low-slung ridge tent and MUST be green/brown or better still CAMMO! Weight is unimportant.

Go to it then kit-type people and with supplier/ manufacturer links if at all possible please.

Thanks

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
ah ha. I'm just the man to answer that having taken delivery of this only yesterday

vaude_ferret1.jpg

Naturally, I haven't field tested it yet, but I did sleep out in the pouring rain last night. Not a sign of a leak. So far here are my thoughts:

Great idea of side opening entrance as well as front porch entrance.
Great field of view (even sitting) from side opening (Aiming/Observation? - I chose this becasue I like wildlife watching)
Side opening flap can be used for canopy with addition of two sticks or ali poles
Stacks of room (Ferret 1 is two person; Ferret 2 is 3 person)
Pitching and striking very quick (two hoops and 4 anchor points initially)
Simple webbing strap system for tension (very good)
Decent sized porch (although not huge - enough to cook or leave out boots etc)
Outer can be pitched with inner (Good for quick bad weather pitching)
Inner tent pale yellow colour (avoids gloom)
All entrances have good mossie net options
Outer tent green
Option to remove inner (to make outer into tarp)
Loads of ventilation options for inside (including porch)
Pockets galor inside (all around inner tent)
Well made and thought out - German make (Vaude - Mountain Eqpt makers)
Max weight 3.1kg (Just manageable for backpacking)
Now £90 - £120 depends where you get it (RRP £200+)

As you can tell, I'm delighted with it. I got mine from here for £90 with delivery. Delivery time from Germany was just 3 days.

This link the cheapest outside ebay and also shows you dimensions. It might a little low for your purposes. You couldn't sit on a chair inside for example.

I'll do some pics when the weather clears a bit. Let me know if you want them.

Hope this helps

Pablo

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
You could try one of these...a GoLite Cave
http://www.hike-lite.co.uk/tarp_discussion.htm
I spent a week in Scotland in April and two of the guys each survived some pretty grim weather for a couple of days in one. Alternatively, try the Go-Lite Hex tipi....I've one and it's excellent with or without inner but you may be looking for something cheaper

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Ah, so you don't have a spare room to rent out!

My wife and I are vaguely wondering about tents, as we'll probably upgrade ours at some point in the not too distant future. Current thinking is one of the Hillebergs - built very well, and the tunnel design is much roomier than domes/geodiesics. We'd look at the Nammatj GT or Nallo GTs due to their larger vestibles. They can be pitched outer first (as it always seems to be raining when we're camping I've never understood the inner-first philosophy), and they're green.

If we decide that weight isn't an issue at all (since it's usually car camping), then we'll also probably look at a single-pole tipi tent. Something roomy and strong in windy conditions. This is probably the most "bushcrafty" option as if you get a canvas style one you can have fires inside which would be lovely in winter.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Pablo said:
ah ha. I'm just the man to answer that having taken delivery of this only yesterday

vaude_ferret1.jpg

Thanks for the trouble taken in writing this informative review. It looks a good choice but I'll await a few more suggestions before further winding up SW(sometimes)MBO with yet another entry in our August bank statement!

I like the bit about an “aiming” window. Very thoughtful of the manufacturer!

My only real critisesem is that it may be TOO green! Seriously, does yours look as luminescent as that in the pic?

Cheers

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Klenchblaize said:
My only real critisesem is that it may be TOO green! Seriously, does yours look as luminescent as that in the pic?

Cheers
No, it's not. It's a lighter green colour. If I say 'faded green' it might be a better description. I too wouldn't be happy if it was the colour of the photo. I think it blends in nicely with woodland in either summer or winter. You could always get a scrim net to chuck over the top if you weren't too happy.

Pablo

leon-1

Jamie said:
I've aspired to one of the gemsboks (medium duty tent) that you can get through UnbeatenTracks: http://www.unbeatentracks.com/Tents2.htm

Bit pricey for me though!!!

They look very much like the ones we used in Namibia Jamie, they are large both packed and when they are setup. The construction of them is pretty bombproof as well. Hence they weigh a bit. Good kit for working from vehicles:)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Raptordog said:
Anyone tried one of these yet, available on e-bay for a reasonable price.
Thinking of giving one a try………any thoughts. :)

QUECHUA 2 SECOND TENT
tent.jpg
I have seen a few of these recently on scout camps, they are a lot better than I thought they would be.
They really do go up in a couple of seconds and after seeing some "proper" tents being blown down these where still standing. They take a couple of minutes to put away and I think it takes a little practice to put away quickly. The only downside to them is the size they pack down to, about the size of a couch cushion, but I think they are ideal for car camping. The price was better than I thought too, about thirty or fourty quid depending on the size.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
Raptordog said:
Anyone tried one of these yet, available on e-bay for a reasonable price.
Thinking of giving one a try………any thoughts. :)

QUECHUA 2 SECOND TENT
tent.jpg

yep I got one they are extremely well made and waterproof till you open the door - stupidly cheap too. if you can get to a decathlon store they have the full range and there is a slightly more expensive version with a side door so you can have a the porch that this one is missing.

for a summer car tent they cant be faulted as they dont need pegs and do take seconds to eract or pack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE