Poor Service from Genuine Army Surplus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showpost.php?p=185879&postcount=110

Again, not to shout over those that have had problems, I've had great service at prices that IMO couldn't be beaten. In the last year or so I've placed about 3 orders for 10xration packs at about £50 delivered iirc, with my choice of menu; tatonka burner; tatonka tarp; nanok shelter jacket; Swedish Army axe. So no problems here.

That said it looks like there have been problems with other peoples orders and it illustrates perfectly the best policy of always being straight with people, be honest, always tell it how it is and do your best to correct mistakes quickly when they happen.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Again, a different experience. I have had three deals from these guys..strangely similar to Skankers (a Nanok air jacket, 10 x 24 hour rat packs and an axe). On each occasion, the goods were promptly despatched and vastly cheaper than elsewhere. I'm the first to complain if the experience is bad and applaud people for pointing out any issues (together we are far more informed than separately). Looks like it "good in places / bad in places". Don't miss out on the bargains though

Red

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I ordered a steel swedish army mess set last week, I ordered it by phone on the wednesday and Chris said it would be with me on friday....low and behold on friday it arrived.

I know other mates of mine have had problems with them via their website but I have to say my one and only experience of them was rather positive.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
FWIW, I have found them to be cheapest source of ration packs, and their delivery charges are low for such a heavy item.

I've had two orders from them - very quickly delivered and I am a satisfied customer.

J

Jamie

I think that its safe to say that all retailers will have their moments when it comes to fulfilling an order....unfortunately that is the way of the world (I have just had a big problem with Cotton Traders on one order when another order went through as smoothly as anything).

Its good to be able to let people know of your experiences (good or bad), but it is also good to keep things in perspective and realise that all retailers are human and that mistakes do get made....the key for them is to make sure that mistakes dont get repeated.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
scanker said:

Blimey, do you know I'd forgotten all about this!!!! lol I didn't even recognise it as being the same company!!!!

So, I have to change my last statement and say it's actually a one all draw! One time they were a nightmare and this time they were very good. 1-1

I saw that they had the steel mess sets over on BES and just ordered without thinking over the phone....if I'd have made the connection then I wouldn't have ordered on my own advice.....and as I say it turned out perfectly well this time!

Funny old world isn't it! lol :lmao:

So it seems that from my experience that phone orders are good and web orders aren't.

Thanks Skanker.....at least somebody reads my post even if I don't! lol :lmao:

Bam. :)

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Another problem with this situation is that almost nobody goes out of their way to say how great a company is.

I have a small business, I sell high end stuff from the most sought after makers but I am also let down by suppliers. People call and email and keep asking about when is it going to arrive. Sometimes its just impossible to deliver because its out of your hands.

Another thing is stock, dispite thinking that I have it all up to date, you get orders in and when you check, you find its out of stock. Then, cap in hand you have to apologise, it looks amateur and it peeves one off to have to do it, but cest la vie with retail.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Simon E said:
Another problem with this situation is that almost nobody goes out of their way to say how great a company is.

I have a small business, I sell high end stuff from the most sought after makers but I am also let down by suppliers. People call and email and keep asking about when is it going to arrive. Sometimes its just impossible to deliver because its out of your hands.

Another thing is stock, dispite thinking that I have it all up to date, you get orders in and when you check, you find its out of stock. Then, cap in hand you have to apologise, it looks amateur and it peeves one off to have to do it, but cest la vie with retail.
I think there is quite a lot of supportive comment on this thread which is good to bring that balance. It's always tough, but it is useful to hear how other people have found a company's service.

There are plenty of genuine reasons for some delay etc and understandable these days where margins are tight and more and more kit is ordered on purchase to keep prices low. The biggest problem I find is due to poor communication, i.e. some retailers not keeping customers informed. If there is going to be a delay, then knowing about it is important and makes for a more pleasant experience.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've ordered quite a few things from them over the years and while I've never *not* gotten what I ordered it has sometimes been a bit of a wait. I reckon it's just a stocking problem; if they have it, you get it pronto, if they don't, well, youj ust have to wait. :rolleyes: They are cheap though :D

Cheers,
Toddy

OutBackP

Jul 5, 2006
Bridport, Dorset
My only problem with G.A.S. has been the untruths. Sure mistakes happen and they run out of stock. But I don't think lying about it works. I think it's important to have these discussions here, so we can all make an informed desicion wether or not to order from the company or not. Also it's not all bad for G.A.S. they've gotten free advertising from this thread and I'm sure people have a least looked at their website from this. I think as it was stated earlier it's probably best to phone and check they have your order in stock.

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
I've ordered 3 times over the last 12 months or so, always via the web and always been very happy with the service that I got. When one part of one of my orders was out of stock they called me and offered a suitable replacement so that the order could go right away.

All retailers online/mail order or otherwise will make mistakes, I've had more issues with High Street retailers than online shops. It's always good to have a heads up though on any experiances good or bad.

These guys are up to their same old tricks.

Some weeks ago I placed an order with them for 3 pieces of kit: bib & brace; kneepads for same; pair of trousers. For convenience, I ordered online. I wanted the stuff for a few summer projects, so paid the rather stiff postage costs on the basis of fast delivery. I was somewhat taken aback when, after payment was taken, a page appeared warning me to allow 28 days for delivery!

I immediately phoned to query this. Already, the convenience of my online purchase was being eroded. The guy on the phone reassured me: "I don't know why it says that. It will be with you in 2 days."

5 days later, nothing.

I filled in an on-line eniry via their website, asking where the stuff was, and if there was a problem. No response.

3 more days. I phoned again. I got a lad who took my order number and said he would call back shortly. He didn't.

Next day. I got a different lad who told me he had no way of checking the progress of my order, and I would have to call again when the manager was in. I asked when that was, and was told fifteen minutes. Four more calls and two days later, I got the manager. He told me he would check and "get right back to me". Two hours later, phoned again, and Laddy was on his own again.

Next day, I got the manager, and this time asked for a specific time when he would call me back. He told me between 12:00 and 1:00. Didn't happen. Follwing day, he promised to phone back in "2 seconds". Didn't happen.

Finally, this morning, I succeeded in cojoling him to give me the information I needed: they still hadn't processed the order, and were out of stock of one of the items.

I cancelled the order and wait with interest to see if the funds reappear in my account.

I suggest changing their name to Imaginary Army Surplus.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
I only use this surplus store and have never ever had a prob always bend over backwards to help. What i can say is if you ever go into the shop, its always very very busy, poss why you never got your calls. Always a bargain to be had. Sorry to hear of your woes. But like i said always come up trumps for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE